Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Deserve To Be Blessed With Unicode

X2Y2

My Warframe is Korean version, displays only Latin and Hangul scripts.
All the others scripts are replaced and displayed with *asterisk*. (e.g. Hanzi, Kana, etc.)
I cannot see and type Non-Latin scripts.(except a language that set)

When I matchmake online, 80% of the squad members are Chinese, 99% of Chinese chat in Chinese, 80% of Chinese never understand English.
I see only asterisks and punctuation (instead of Chinese) in squad chat. The communication in English is rarely happens. I'm really sick of this.
Also, I cannot distinguish who's (being of speaking) Chinese, Japanese, etc.. Despite being a multilingual, cannot communicate with foreigners unless using PinYin or Romaji.

The only way is Unicode. Replacing fonts with Unicode-compatible. All the language scripts on Unicode are displayed regardless of the language settings.
This will make the game experience even better, and fancy, variety of Emoji(絵文字)s will be thrown in! 😂

Edited by HodanK
added an emoji

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

I'm guessing changing your region in settings won't help? 

I've been in teams with Asians who's words were all replaced with symbols, this isn't a problem for me because they're extremely rare but I can see how it affects your gameplay having to play with them more often so hope DE fixes this for you guys

Only Latin letters and set language letters are displayed.
Other languages are all replaced with asterisks.
I think each asterisks have its original codes, they're just not displayed.

11 minutes ago, trndr said:

It is a bit strange the chat uses local charactersets in 2018, when it also uses html tags for < and >, but I don't see the need to go full utf-8.

Keeping the current fontset and switching to uft-8 mapping should be enough.

It's quite dissatisfying with communicative difficulties, as a global serviced game

2 minutes ago, HodanK said:

It's quite dissatisfying with communicative difficulties, as a global serviced game

I assume were speaking past each other a bit.

I agree on utf-8 and not local ascii extensions.

I don't agree on full utf-8 suport since the internet tends to have an obsession on aubergines, sweat droplets, peaches and hindu symbols for good luck and prosperity. Which have a tendency to derail conversations.

2 minutes ago, trndr said:

I assume were speaking past each other a bit.

I agree on utf-8 and not local ascii extensions.

I don't agree on full utf-8 suport since the internet tends to have an obsession on aubergines, sweat droplets, peaches and hindu symbols for good luck and prosperity. Which have a tendency to derail conversations.

Understood, agree. Some unnecessary symbol sets like you said should be prohibited.

On 2018-12-11 at 5:12 AM, peterc3 said:

Is it worth having to make support for Unicode and then have to go through and blacklist characters?

The people like you, using ASCII, would not feel necessity of it, but CJK characters, have lots of problems with script encoding when communicating.
People using CJK languages often see ruined documents with broken characters, the only solution is the Unicode.