The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

PS4 Pro fans running at max at Fortuna Caves

(PSN)corpusbonds

On 2018-12-17 at 12:18 PM, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

Not sure if the proper term is CPU usage but..

Ever since Fortuna dropped, every cave I’ve entered causes my PS4 Pro to run on high. I don’t lag or crash, but I’m worried about fishing in there and possible damage to my PS4.

It doesn’t do this to any other level in the game, just the caves.

You're going to have to trust the Sony engineers on this one. DE can't do anything other than to have the APU do the math required to put pixels onto the screen.

These things are usually designed to a worst case scenario. Unless you live in the desert (or the unit is defective), you are probably sweet.

That being said, Fortuna (and subsequently 'new' Warframe) has a different render setup than most titles. Most titles use a differed renderer, where Warframe is using a Forward renderer. I believe Detroit, with its Forward+ renderer, is in the same boat (fan speed wise). Both methods lean on different parts of the GPU, different parts of the GPU may kick out more heat etc. etc.

TL;DR: The console design should be sufficient to keep the unit safe regardless of the load placed on it.

On 2018-12-18 at 4:45 AM, MillbrookWest said:

You're going to have to trust the Sony engineers on this one. DE can't do anything other than to have the APU do the math required to put pixels onto the screen.

These things are usually designed to a worst case scenario. Unless you live in the desert (or the unit is defective), you are probably sweet.

That being said, Fortuna (and subsequently 'new' Warframe) has a different render setup than most titles. Most titles use a differed renderer, where Warframe is using a Forward renderer. I believe Detroit, with its Forward+ renderer, is in the same boat (fan speed wise). Both methods lean on different parts of the GPU, different parts of the GPU may kick out more heat etc. etc.

TL;DR: The console design should be sufficient to keep the unit safe regardless of the load placed on it.

You can hope that's true of current generating console, but you better hope you have a good warranty if you're gonna just blindly trust a manufacturer. You maybe don't remember how many Xbox 360s had to be fixed for heat issues? 

Uh, it’s not my PlayStation lol.

It’s only the caves on Fortuna, so it’s a Fortuna issue. No other game causes any issues like this, nor did poe or.. anywhere else. My PlayStation doesn’t over heat, I don’t receive any ill effects but I would like to use the caves without worrying slightly that it’s putting stress on my console.

8 hours ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

Uh, it’s not my PlayStation lol.

It’s only the caves on Fortuna, so it’s a Fortuna issue. No other game causes any issues like this, nor did poe or.. anywhere else. My PlayStation doesn’t over heat, I don’t receive any ill effects but I would like to use the caves without worrying slightly that it’s putting stress on my console.

This has been a complaint (particularly with the Pro) for games like Horizon, GOW (Link 1, Link 2), and Detroit (especially Detroit), to name a few.

The APU will have a Thermal design power(TDP), and the cooling solution should be sufficient to cool that TDP. The fans spinning up is indicative of it doing this (more speed = more volume = more heat dissipation).

If the console does overheat, it shuts itself off - to no ill effect other than you knowing it got too hot, and it not turning back on until it cools off. If this happens, the unit should be replaced because something is clearly defective.

Additionally, since the fan curve is unknown, you don't actually know what temp range the console sits in. The design could specify that the fan curve keep the console within 70-80C. At 70C the console could be inaudible, at 75C it could sound like a small jet (to keep it away from the 80C ceiling). The max temp could be up to 100C (in fact it probably is 100C+)

So as i say. In this respect, DE can't really do anything other than run their code within the environment created by Sony. So you'll have to trust that the Sony engineers didn't cut corners.
In reality, you popping in and out of caves for short stints isn't going to shorten the life of the console by any large stretch. Prolonged month long running(straight!) tends to do this. Not the occasional heat spike. 

12 hours ago, Kebast said:

You can hope that's true of current generating console, but you better hope you have a good warranty if you're gonna just blindly trust a manufacturer. You maybe don't remember how many Xbox 360s had to be fixed for heat issues? 

The context is in reference to DE's usage of the console, not the manner in which the manufacturer actually creates the console. DE can't specify that the console suddenly pull an extra 100W from the wall (for example). DE can only ask the console to do the required math to put an image on screen. So with relevance to OP, DE aren't doing anything the console wasn't designed to do.

Edited by MillbrookWest

1 hour ago, MillbrookWest said:

So with relevance to OP, DE aren't doing anything the console wasn't designed to do.

This is the only thing you said I have issue with. What the system can/will do is sometimes different than what it was designed to do. 

Some PC platform with some specific configuration may have this problem as well.

Ryzen 5 2400g 32GB, AMD RX 550 4GB graphics card, 1080p FreeSync 144Hz.

My graphics card drops FPS (Frames per second) while inside caves, from 75 FPS outside, down to 49 FPS inside cave. My computer remains quiet, so the problem for me is mostly FPS drops. Here is a video of frame rate drops inside cave. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/355159383 On computer, I can lower the graphics or resolution or use dynamic resolution.

• 1 month later...