The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Call of the Condrocs - the Flying Eidolon Bossfight

DreisterDino

Hey, i had an idea for the flying Eidolon they showed a long time ago in a Devstream,

and this is my vision of the bossfight. let me know what you think of it!

Call of the Condrocs - The Aerolyst

General Thoughts:

• the Aerolyst spawns at Daytime above the ocean either on the West- or Eastside (random)
  • that way he will fill the empty spot when you cant hunt the other Eidolons
  • Fighting heavily relies on Archwings and their mechanics
  • multiple stages, final stage on the ground
  • he has shielding mechanics, but you wont need the Operator to kill him

1st Phase:

• at first, the Aerolyst is travelling slowly above one of the oceans, the team has to find him (should be easy^^)
  • at this time, he is invulnerable to normal damage
  • he is guarded by multiple, strong condrocs that are vulnerable to gunfire
  • while he is travelling, we have to kill the condrocs first (which also have some sort of melee attacks)
  • when we start to kill them, the Aerolyst gets more active and starts ranged attacks - you can avoid them with certain Archwing-abilities like Ameshes bubble, Itzals Penumbra and so on when you get targeted by one of his attacks
  • if we are way too slow at killing the condrocs, the Aerolyst can call for support
  • when we have killed all condrocs that are protecting him, the 2nd phase starts

2nd Phase:

• now that we have killed all Condrocs, the Aerolyst starts to "get nervous" and we go on a Pursuit
  • he will be able to fly a bit faster and will travel towards the Plains so he is above land now
  • he is still invulnerable to gunfire
  • on top of his body there will be one spot that one of the players have to mount onto him, this will look like this:
  • you have to follow him - aim at the spot (somewhere on his neck) - leave your Archwing and press X when you are in reach of this spot to mount it
  • (i imagine this to be really fun - one of the things i like when travelling in OrbVallis/PoE is to leave the Archwing high up in the air and then use my momentum to land as precise as possible to the next objective - which works surprisingly well btw 😛)
  • in this phase there will be coming a few condrocs to his help, but not too many so its annoying and they will not protect the Aerolyst from getting mounted, we cannot fall back into phase 1

3rd Phase:

• now is the time where the Aerolyst can finally be damaged on weakspots with normal weapons
  • the one player that mounted him might have to perform multiple hacks on a console that is placed on the collar of the Aerolyst
  • while he is succesfully hacking (or doing another form of "mini-game"), the Aerolyst can be damaged
  • all other players have to shot the weakspots
  • the Aerolyst is stationary in this phase!
  • he will launch strong ranged attacks and maybe AoE-attacks like the Eidolons
  • once again, the team can avoid taking damage with Archwing-abilities
  • once we have damaged all weakspots (maybe both wings, the tail and his jaw or something), the last stage starts

4th and final phase:

• after damaging all his weakspots, the Aerolyst will fall to the ground
  • he can now be damaged just like Eidolons in their final stage
  • he still will have some strong attacks to prevent getting killed
  • because it is daytime, some grineer might appear alongside some more condrocs that get called for support
  • done, we have killed our first Aerolyst 😉

Final Thoughts:

I imagine this to be a fun bossfight that gives the Archwings a new purpose.

Also, some mechanics like the mounting of the Aerolyst might sound "weird" at first because its not like anything else we have in bossfights right now, but like i said, i have a lot of fun using my momentum to fly trough the air to land precisly on certain spots and this will be just like that, but with a reason to do so.

And lastly, this bossfight will not be dominated by endless AoE-attacks and kockbacks/staggers, we can counter all attacks by simply using our Abilities.

(it would be nice way to farm condrocs for pigments btw 😄)

Also, if you want check my topic in missions and levels in which i gather all my ideas for the OpenWorlds and feel free to add ideas and leave feedback, i am a bit lonely in that thread lately xD

Spoiler

Creatively, the Eidolon fragments of the original giant Sentient that attacked the Unum are weakened by Sunlight and Void energy, none would show during daylight I am afraid. That said, I would say that having such an encounter to give something to do during the day would be useful. If not this Aerolyst, perhaps Hek's Robo Hemacyst? One way of trying to keep the Eidolon during the day would be to bring massive cloud cover with it; creating a screen for the Sun or during rare eclipses. To the end of busting its shields, we would need some method of during Void damage or sunlight to the flying Eidolon as that is its original Sentient's adaptation. Sunlight or Void energy. A way around that would be to have players try to break up the summoned cloud cover over the Eidolon; dousing it in weakening energies or getting a Void amp archgun I guess if we really wanted to avoid having the Tenno form involved.

Instead of condrocs..  maybe flying vomvalysts...   they could emit some sort of dark gaseous cloud to protect the Eidolon from sunlight..    So killing the flying vomvalysts protector would lead to increasing damage to the Eidolon - forcing it to the ground in your phase 4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XB1)Shalimar said:

Instead of condrocs..  maybe flying vomvalysts...   they could emit some sort of dark gaseous cloud to protect the Eidolon from sunlight..    So killing the flying vomvalysts protector would lead to increasing damage to the Eidolon - forcing it to the ground in your phase 4

Sounds like a nice idea!

vor 11 Stunden schrieb (XB1)Shalimar:

Why not^^ I just picked the Condrocs because they are already on the Plains and would fit the flying Eidolon in a way.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb (XB1)Cubic Clem:

I'm pretty sure you just want those condrocs 😛

Nah i just mentioned it because it came to mind, flying vomvalysts would also be fine. Still it would be way better to get pigments this way, since you need a lot 😛

vor 6 Stunden schrieb DerGreif2:

Sorry but no... dont introduce ANOTHER boss that requires a gimmick... why cant we have some interesting bosses without operator and archwing stuff... let rivens be deactivated during bosses and then some interesting ways of killing the boss.

We have not 1 single boss that requires Archwing yet?

Deactivating Rivens..besides the fact that i dont think the code allows the Devs to ban certain mods in certain missions, i dont think this would change much.

Also, "interesting ways of killing the boss" - like what for example?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Kaos1227:

Sound idea except for the teensy tiny fact that everyone and their brother has a weapon that instantly removes you from your archwing both on the plains and in the vallis 

Vallis doesnt matter because this Eidolon would be on the Plains 😉

And there are many ways to go around this:

1. use amesha's bubble to protect yourself and allies against incoming fire (especially useful in phase 3 when he is stationary)
  2. destroy the turrets before you engage the Boss
  3. designate one player to take care of enemies on the ground
  4. besides that, 1st phase is above the ocean, so not many threats there, 2nd phase shouldnt take too long and if a player gets shooten down once, who cares - Archwings dont costs charges anymore, 3rd Phase is stationary so you can protect yourself really good and the 4th Phase is on the ground, so i dont think this is a big deal

Edited by DreisterDino

4 hours ago, --Q--DragonSkllzz said:

Aren't the flying eidolons coming to reworked gas city already?

That would be odd, considering that the Eidolons were supposed to only be on Earth around Cetus; but also in that Jupiter doesn't have the 'skywing' launching ability. Still, if you have a source that shows differently, I would love to read it over.

On 2019-01-25 at 7:10 PM, Urlan said:

That would be odd, considering that the Eidolons were supposed to only be on Earth around Cetus; but also in that Jupiter doesn't have the 'skywing' launching ability. Still, if you have a source that shows differently, I would love to read it over.

Just something a few friends have been saying for a while, they seemed pretty sure about it, though I'm not certain of what their sources are.

Edited by --Q--DragonSkllzz

can i be honest. i would like this to be a long/annoying fight... is that bad? Like a solid 30 minute fight that cant be cheesed. i feel like all our boss battles are trivial and so short.

i think it would be cool if there wa a tether mechanic where instead of condrocs floating around they are actively trying to bite off the nets made of void energy.

which would be in the form of a % 

eventually hitting a weak point will cause the eidolon to get enraged  break the net and fly off faster for a period of time and you would go through phases 1-3 again. 

when its out of shielding it would then fly to the nearest ground spot in its weakened state unable to summon more condroc which is when the aerolyst gets deadly.

i feel like this tether mechanic would make the fight more engaging in the sense that it requires team management and also means the boss fight wont turn into chasing sonic for the *majority* of the fight. 

having to hit a target flying around would be odd. but having to use archwing on a target that just sits over a body of water can easily be sniped 

Edited by Makunogo

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Makunogo:

can i be honest. i would like this to be a long/annoying fight... is that bad?

I dont want annoying fights, but long, yes. 😛

We mostly have stuff that only takes a few minutes and then you do it as often as possible, which is boring imo.

Recent examples: Heist-Bounty Stage 2

2 and a half minutes of non-gameplay that people grind like crazy to get certain stuff.

I would have prefered a "real heist" that takes more time but is also more engaging than that a lot more.

When i get the same rewards in 1 mission that takes 30 minutes i will always chose that over a meaningless task that i will do 10x in that time.