Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nihilism is an objective truth that humanity refuses to believe in

(NSW)jja209

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

But it does involve seeing the worst aspects of things.

A single instance of it doesn't make you a pessimist. Realists will see the worst aspects of things, as will optimists at times (much less likely to worry about it ofc, but they can see it).

True pessimism is when you struggle to see the good in things, where you expect everything you to do to fail and you question why you should even bother. It's used not just to mean "expecting the words", but synonymously with "defeatism" and "negativity".

It's possible to have a pessimistic point of view on a particular thing, like the example you provided above, and yes, that's fine. But actual pessimism, as a state of mind, is not. That's what I was referring to in my post. 

1 minute ago, (NSW)jja209 said:

Well I don’t agree with nihilism anymore.Is their away to take this post down or is it better to leave it for future discussions?

Some people appear to have enjoyed reading through the thread, and if what's been posted here can be of any help to anyone else then I'd say it's worth leaving up.

It's your thread though, if you wish to have it removed then report the initial post and ask a moderator to take it down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Some people appear to have enjoyed reading through the thread, and if what's been posted here can be of any help to anyone else then I'd say it's worth leaving up.

It's your thread though, if you wish to have it removed then report the initial post and ask a moderator to take it down.

That’s a fair point I’ll just leave it then.

20 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I like pessimists. Think of all the great works of art and culture they have given us. No one ever wrote a great book about how amazing the world is and how content they were with their lives, is all I'm saying.

I don't follow. Since when did incorporating conflict or struggle into a work imply pessimism on the part of the author?

My outlook is as positive as they come, yet I understand that meaningful conflict is crucial to drama.

4 minutes ago, Corvid said:

I don't follow. Since when did incorporating conflict or struggle into a work imply pessimism on the part of the author?

My outlook is as positive as they come, yet I understand that meaningful conflict is crucial to drama.

Let's be honest, most great writers were/are miserable people. It's not about conflict, it's about being a bit angry at the world and the way things are. J. D. Sallinger, Hemmingway, Pynchon, Joseph Heller, etc. These aren't exactly a happy bunch of people. There's a bleakness in a lot of great literature, and rarely a happy ending.

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Let's be honest, most great writers were/are miserable people. It's not about conflict, it's about being a bit angry at the world and the way things are. J. D. Sallinger, Hemmingway, Pynchon, Joseph Heller, etc. These aren't exactly a happy bunch of people. There's a bleakness in a lot of great literature, and rarely a happy ending.

And countless greats who weren't so dour.

31 minutes ago, Corvid said:

I honestly can't off the top of my head think of a good book that has something optimistic to say about the world we live in (not saying they don't exist, just that I can't recall them right at this moment). Even a genuinely funny book like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is enormously pessimistic. But like most British, Douglas Adams just always saw the humor in pessimism. 

8 hours ago, rune_me said:

I honestly can't off the top of my head think of a good book that has something optimistic to say about the world we live in (not saying they don't exist, just that I can't recall them right at this moment). Even a genuinely funny book like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is enormously pessimistic. But like most British, Douglas Adams just always saw the humor in pessimism. 

Lord of the Rings. It's about a war so it's not all sunshine and roses, but it's ultimately optimistic