Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

who is Nora Night?

yi-ma

On 2019-02-16 at 2:35 PM, Wrikster said:

I don't know, but I love her voice. It sounds so soothing, even though some of the things she says can be rather..dark. The voice acting is amazing. Probably second only to Tyl Regor's.

Reminds me of Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura from the original Star Trek series).

Actually this whole Wolf of Saturn Six thing reminds me of the final series of Andromeda, where the crew are stranded in the Seefra system and Trance assumes the alter ego of Virgil Vox, a mysterious voice on the airwaves, giving them cryptic messages.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

I kind of find it odd how Nora (or more precisely, her manner of speech) fails to fit into Warframe timeline/lore completely.

I mean, it's been hundreds, most likely - thousands of years since the 20th century. America is long gone, music of that era is probably long gone, too (minus an odd somachord recording/Suda's memory). Corpus, Grineer and Cetus residents (and if Ballas is any indication, Orokin) have their own manner of speech, culture (okay, minus the Worm Queen quoting Shakespeare) and all.

And yet, Nora sounds like someone built a time machine and grabbed themselves a 20th century American radio hostess, complete with a set of radio tunes and mannerism. Did they put her on ice for the entirety of the Orokin era or something? More importantly, do we get a J-pop idol in gothic loli garb as a Relay NPC next? Questions, questions... 

Edited by Reifnir

On 2019-02-16 at 5:39 AM, yi-ma said:

I think Nora is new Margulis ,just like lotus.we need a new mother.

Why is this off topic? This is most on topic ever. But more importantly she is trying to replace spacem om and I already hate her because of that.

6 hours ago, (XB1)Dic3man said:

This is Jack Killian, "The Nighthawk" on KJCM, 98.3 on your FM dial, and good night America... wherever you are.

A few will probably recognize this 🙂

Haha - yeah I remember Midnight Caller.

Though I preferred him as the bad guy in American Gothic...another series that got cancelled too soon IMO.

2 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Haha - yeah I remember Midnight Caller.

Though I preferred him as the bad guy in American Gothic...another series that got cancelled too soon IMO.

AWESOME that show was epic, (the little boy Lucas Black is now in NCIS New Orleans all grown up FWIW, )

Edited by (XB1)Dic3man

On 2019-03-02 at 7:51 PM, Reifnir said:

I kind of find it odd how Nora (or more precisely, her manner of speech) fails to fit into Warframe timeline/lore completely.

I mean, it's been hundreds, most likely - thousands of years since the 20th century. America is long gone, music of that era is probably long gone, too (minus an odd somachord recording/Suda's memory). Corpus, Grineer and Cetus residents (and if Ballas is any indication, Orokin) have their own manner of speech, culture (okay, minus the Worm Queen quoting Shakespeare) and all.

And yet, Nora sounds like someone built a time machine and grabbed themselves a 20th century American radio hostess, complete with a set of radio tunes and mannerism. Did they put her on ice for the entirety of the Orokin era or something? More importantly, do we get a J-pop idol in gothic loli garb as a Relay NPC next? Questions, questions... 

Could you (or would you) post a link to a page or website, which establishes when and where the Warframe “Universe” (to use the common gaming vernacular) is occurring in relation to the “real” world -

(which is a pretty lousy term for me to use, but getting into how that is definitionally qualified in this context would just become a nightmare of ontological complexity which could overload the capacity of an entire hosting server across a mere few steps)

- as in the “modern day” of what is perhaps best described as “the contingent world,”

if you know of one.

(I’m not meaning to impose any assumptions upon you that you do, or should, have any such reference material, or a link to it, or even that any exists at all. It’s just a request, in case maybe you do, because I’d really love to check out anything that has that information. I just do not know of any such authoritative reference, and of course, DE has not produced anything of the sort. In fact, it really seems as though they virtually bend over backwards in making every effort to raise more more ambiguity, and become more vague, and even uphold sustaining what becomes conflicting and incongruous simultaneous accounts of the lore, the more deeply it grows, and the more penetrating it becomes. The further one tries to go in finding anything which has a direct link with something or someone in some histiry which is particular, the more lost within a somehow insular void of stuff which diffuses any such efforts. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that DE is making an effort to deliberately mystify the context of the Warframe “universe.” But it is a notion which I bear in mind as perhaps being the case.)

4 hours ago, (PS4)xxav1xl6ivax said:

Could you (or would you) post a link to a page or website, which establishes when and where the Warframe “Universe” (to use the common gaming vernacular) is occurring in relation to the “real” world

There isn't much of an info source aside from the game itself, and that can be found either in-game (duh) or in the depths of the Wiki.

As for the timeline, it's approximate at best, but for instance, The Business (when presented with a Synathid servofish) states that it "Must have been down there for centuries", which pretty clearly indicates, that Venus Terraforming project is at least several centuries old. Taking into account that the Orokin civilization did not develop overnight, it is safe to assume that we're looking at hundreds of years, possibly thousands since we do not know at which point was the Venus project started, nor how long did it take for them to develop it to the point where coolant sludge scrubbers (servofish) were introduced. Still, assuming changes on a planetary scale take time, it's unlikely it was a fast process. 

There was also a quote somewhere I can't find right now about the age of Orb Valis terraforming towers which further supported this, but again, it was pretty vague, hence my original statement of "hundreds, most likely - thousands".

On 2019-02-28 at 4:35 PM, Loza03 said:

It's official: I trust her even less now.

We're capturing Grineer inmates. Enemies of the Grineer. Without any reason as to why they were in there to begin with. Considering that they're willing to make the most violent of them into Rathuum executioners or the Grustrag, it's likely they aren't there for being too dangerous for the Grineer. And we know deserters and such usually get the death penalty and get replaced by a clone.

So that means that these guys have some reason to be kept alive, especially kept as secret as they were. Nora mentions that they're being set to making weapons. And wouldn't you know it, the Wolf has a hammer with special abilities. Could be that the weapons in question are such extra-powerful weapons.

And we're capturing them, not killing. For whom? I doubt we're sending them back without official Grineer sanction. Especially since the Enemy of our Enemy has traditionally been our friends. So who are we sending them to?

My bet? Nora. Nora's an unknown. Lotus was on our side for years, fighting for us, protecting us from Hunhow. Nora, on the other hand, has no such credentials. And if she wants weapons? Well, she just pays off the Tenno for craftsmen, spouting about how she's 'fighting the good fight'.

S6 prisoners are court-martialled grineer who are too precious to throw away. They and Wolf worked on explosives production (a dangerous job perfect for court-martialled engineers who would be more useful on the assembly line. remember: tectonic rounds on kuva assault are a thing.), which is also how they busted out. They're loose cannons who are left to counting on themselves only, and in that situation you have a serious problem because you can not tell what they're likely to do and whom they will side with, which means that they're a dangerous unknown in the system-wide political equation. Their military expertise and their resilience (they wear no armour, can still take more ammo than a nox and even then they only roll on the ground injured), as well as their experience in weapons manufacture could make them extremely dangerous if they started taking over places on, let's say, Ceres, and turning grineer to their side. And they're not Cressa Tal, either.

You want these guys alive because they're wellsprings of information: they're production-line-working grineer rebels who can make a molotov that can imperil a powerful warframe, they wear nothing but hot pants and crop-tops with hoodies, and still manage to bunker up in derelict or clean orokin ships and get neither infested nor corrupted. And you need a trail to their boss, too.

As for Nora, I have an idea who she might be, but it involves heavy spoilers, and I'll put it in a separate post.

3 hours ago, Reifnir said:

There isn't much of an info source aside from the game itself, and that can be found either in-game (duh) or in the depths of the Wiki.

As for the timeline, it's approximate at best, but for instance, The Business (when presented with a Synathid servofish) states that it "Must have been down there for centuries", which pretty clearly indicates, that Venus Terraforming project is at least several centuries old. Taking into account that the Orokin civilization did not develop overnight, it is safe to assume that we're looking at hundreds of years, possibly thousands since we do not know at which point was the Venus project started, nor how long did it take for them to develop it to the point where coolant sludge scrubbers (servofish) were introduced. Still, assuming changes on a planetary scale take time, it's unlikely it was a fast process. 

There was also a quote somewhere I can't find right now about the age of Orb Valis terraforming towers which further supported this, but again, it was pretty vague, hence my original statement of "hundreds, most likely - thousands".

Still, if we assume that WF takes place anywhere between 200 and 2000 years after the Orokin, then the timeline isn't that long knowing how long the average human lifespan in the WF universe is. Darvo, the guy who's the equivalent of the gopnik selling fenced stuff from the back of his volvo, is about 120 and Frohd talks to him as if he's a teenager, which means that, let's say, Konzu's dad might have witnessed the fall of the Empire and that Konzu himself could be close to 1K years old. When Biz says "old pictures" whenever you toss him an Orokin servofish, he says it in a tone that we reserve for photos from the 1880s. In generational terms, the fall of the Empire might still be a very fresh memory for some very old people in the universe, but so far the oldest person we've met in the flesh (Cephalons are strangely reticent about their biographies as if they would reveal a dangerous collective weakness) seems to be Konzu (and his childhood friends). Houses in Cetus are also painted with very accurate depictions of large-model Sentients, so it's another pro to the idea that people live long and have good memories, enough for some of them to clearly remember the Old War even so long after.

Spoiler

This also opens up the question of the main story's timescale, as there is no way for Lotus to have carried off Ballas to Tau in a short period of time, so we might have to assume that some of the cinematic quests are perhaps decades apart.

Another question that opens up is: where the hell was Ballas between the fall and Apostasy, and if he was just hiding in a vault without using cryo, how did he manage to not go insane and start talking to his gilded teddy-kubrow?

Nora Night is

Spoiler

a descendant of the Umbra Dax family. (I'm going off here on the idea that "Umbra" was the Dax family's family name before Ballas adopted it as a name for a branch of his warframes project) While Ballas does say that he will be killing members of the Umbra house one after the other, the way he sets the plan up means that it's a generational vendetta, and that he'll be killing people as soon as their kids and/or grandkids come of age. (Of course, this didn't work out knowing that the Jade Light soon fell out of use for obvious reasons)

Due to language drift, Nora's last name also shifted from Umbra (Shadow) to Night. As a descendant of a prominent Dax family, she probably has some kind of intelligence resources, as well as access to extant and still-operational Orokin tech that allows her to manufacture mass quantities of forma, potatoes, and, what I take as the ultimate proof of her lineage: Umbral forma.

Excalibur Umbra is characteristic in that there are mods that come specifically with and for him. Skiajati was grafted from his flesh, and carries Umbral polarities, which means that the polarity is intrinsic to one single individual, and that in fact that may be the case with every other "personframe", if any other still exist ("we committed them to grave"). Frames that are copies of those "seed frames" do not possess individual polarities, not even primes, because you can't copy a soul (there seems to be a correlation between mods, endo, and mind, but it's a long write on that thing too), but instead give birth to a new one by building a warframe-body. Instead, the other polarities that we find correspond to the five focus schools, that's to say, schools of thought (since operators focus their thoughts and willpower to exert void damage). In the context of warframes, the thought-school polarities correspond to programming (mods in their polarity categories strictly correspond to their focus-schools' mechanics), and alterations to polarities require forma, whose components - especially neurodes and neural sensors - heavily imply "nerual computing". Regular warframes don't have individual polarities because even if they are individuals, their "womb" (to use a recurring term) has no individuality, unless The Beast of Bones was a master of all five schools (impossible unless all those schools predate the Zariman kids) and transcribes that knowledge into every warframe via the foundry that he controls. Whatever polarities they "inherit", they "inherit" from one person again and again.

The implication is that Nora is fully aware of who and what Excalibur Umbra is, and knows very well that Orokin tech depends on genetic markers as "passwords". It is likely that Dax families underwent similar biotechnological alterations to fit into that scheme (see: Teshin in TWW), and that this forms the basis of the Umbral polarity as something specific to a single Dax family. An alteration for a specific purpose would create an Umbral polarity in any warframe derived from that family almost entirely by accident, as the specific Tau-resistance translated into infested/human hybrid flesh as a unique polarity conditioned by the family's altered genome, and further into Skiajati as a sword directly grafted from Umbra's flesh.

The Umbral forma, in the context of lore, is the second-highest, that's to say, most precious and sensitive award that Nora can give, because it requires her own DNA to manufacture. Every time she sits down to make an Umbral forma, she has to prick her finger, draw a volume of her own blood, and then do some foundry magic with Helminth flesh, her own DNA, and a regular forma. Whatever Umbral data in her DNA remains is potent enough to give the altered forma the shape of two concentric "Umbral crescents".

If this is true, then her signature callback to ancient-Earth culture is also easily explained away: she has access to surviving Orokin history banks, especially ones dealing with the pirate radio culture of the 20th century, a part of history preciously preserved by the Orokin because of their obsession with all things music.

• 1 month later...

To me she reminds me of that late night smooth jazz station heard on Crystal Cove Radio from Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated...or is that just me...but Nora does sound EXACTLY like that, or is that just me ? love her voice tho that's the kind of stuff i wanna listen to drifting through space