Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is DE's official stance on Semlar's bot banning?

I know that folks are well intentioned here, but let me assure you that a significant chunk of the popularity of free to play games has always been money laundering. Ever see the player numbers just according to steam? Does it FEEL like there are 22 million active accounts with hundreds of thousands online at a time? What do you think the rest of those accounts are doing? Logging on to sit in their orbiter?

Regarding how money laundering in f2p games works, after having my first account banned for selling some items, I decided to familiarize myself with what the hell happened and man, did I go down a rabbit hole for a while. Let me just link some articles and leave it up to you guys to figure out the rest. DE and other f2p manufacturers are WELL aware of the problem, but they gotta keep the lights on somehow. I've never even heard of this Semlar guy until today, but I bet my bottom dollar he brushed against a very real threat. Honestly, he got away lightly considering how serious these f2p money laundering schemes go. Need to clean some cash from street level sales of illicit chemicals? Well Sir, do I have JUST the Riven for you!

If you're wondering how the heck earning platinum from Riven sniping bots gets translated back into cash, it comes in at about .27 cents per dollar "spent" from websites that sell platinum directly to players. I wouldn't want to get myself banned, but if you needed to move 100K of illicit funds quickly, conventional laundering is out, because it takes time for receipts to be generated etc. Taxes have to be paid on that illegal money at multiple turns etc. It is actually FAR easier using CSGO skins and warframe platinum to move money around inside of closed ecosystems in which the corporation has virtually no incentive to stop the behavior. Do you really think the IRS is worried about your in game, in ecosystem activities? A few paypal accounts and platinum sales later and you just got 27K within days instead of months or years via conventional money laundering schemes.

https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2018/07/20/free-to-play-games-are-a-breeding-ground-for-money-laundering/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2018/07/19/automated-money-laundering-scheme-found-in-free-to-play-games/

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-microtransactions-and-in-game-currencies-can-be-used-to-launder-money/

A system like what Semlar proposed or an in game auction house means these platinum buyers pack up and head to the next free to play game, and for the sake of keeping 150 people employed in London, I can understand why they won't create an auction house, but I really think folks need to educate themselves as to why, so they'll stop asking for it.

Edited by M3tallius
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

You would sooner see Rivens removed from the game. Prices would also drop if people didn't take sell offers as sold offers and if they stopped pretending Rivens matter to anything in the game beyond what they are - purely extra.

The players did this to themselves and are upset they weren't stopped from hurting themselves.

My, more deeply, cynical side is saying DE is letting this garbage fire burn itself out and gathering data while it does.

TY Senpai! Now i can see.

But i'm still newbee in the Way. Should i use Umbra mods? Should i use Prime mods? Should i max my Serration? Ah, i know, i don't even need forma, right? 

30 minutes ago, Enchanter said:

What about DE Income?

Rivens would still be tradable. It's just that there would be some condition that eventually locks them to a player's account. This would make the riven market far more competitive as players try to acquire the best ones before they become locked.

For example, let's say that once a riven is unveiled a timer starts and it has 240 hours to be traded (10 days).  Again, just an example. After those 10 days expire it is locked to the current owner. Once locked the kuva costs to reroll it are reduced, players can lock in a specific roll, etc. Additionally, players can lock it early so that they can use the reroll benefits immediately.

This creates a sense of urgency for traders but also severely limits the supply keeping rivens prices competitive. Players could also choose to keep the riven veiled and decide when they want to start the timer. This would let them stockpile kuva or trade it when it is convenient for them.

The point being that by having some method that removes rivens from the market it becomes about acquiring rivens that are useful to you instead of hoarding them to sell for ridiculous sums later.

Edited by (PS4)Hiero_Glyph
  • Like 1