Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(SOLVED) Windows 10(200 fps) vs Windows 7(400 fps) -Was a cryptomining virus

AluminumHaste

I just logged into wolf six update for the first time, noticed I can't get 144 fps in the star chart anymore.
Went in game, and instead of getting 150-200 fps in Hydron, I'm only getting 120fps, sometimes as low as 75 fps.

Just in case, I reset the config to defaults, and set it all back up again.
Rivatuner/HWInfo shows GPU running at 1480Mhz, so it's not down-clocking when it shouldn't be.

System Specs.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x @ 4.25 Ghz all cores
GPU: EVGA 980ti Classified @ 1480Mhz
RAM: 16GB G.Skill @ 3400 Mhz
HDD: Intel 480GB SSD

I'm not seeing anything with the new update visually that would cause such FPS drops.
Big issue, is I'm running at 144hz screen, and at 80fps, it's a stuttery mess.

I have Win 7 on another HDD on this computer, so booted it up and checked out warframe.
All the same graphics settings.

Windows 7

uwUyqk9.jpg

Windows 10

BGGodkO.jpg

I have to say, that the CPU usage in windows 10 is WAY higher for the same scene. All the cores and threads are being used at 75-80%, whereas in Windows 7 only half the cores are being used.

Windows 7 shows 94% GPU load while Windows 10 shows only 56%

Edited by AluminumHaste
Updated info and pictures
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I have to say, that the CPU usage in windows 10 is WAY higher for the same scene.

But that high CPU usage is limited to only the first time running the game on this platform and only for the first minute after the loading screen? Screenshot shows little to no lines on region chat. Got very impatient and took screenshots in less then 10 seconds of starting up game?

That is graphics shader runtime compiling, talking up lots of CPU usage up to a few minutes after loading screen. Shader cache can avoid the repeated high CPU usage from loading the same thing. This can happen not just first time or manual delete or disable of cache, graphics driver software update to a newer version will also reset shader cache.

This gets WORST on Sandy Bridge second generation graphics (Hd graphics 2000, 3000) in DX10 mode, loading screen lasts for a very long time, several minutes, and is unplayable in multiplayer squads with connection lost due to extremely long loading screen. There is no excessive CPU usage after loading is done... I wonder why? Probably this dumb shader runtime compiler freezing up the loading screen for several minutes on this intel graphics and the complete lack of shader cache for this intel graphics.

Then, there is windows 10 update KB4482887 that might be slowing things down. I did not update my windows 10, yet, so not seeing the problem. Search the internet: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+update+slow+down+KB4482887

Video of delete shader cache on AMD graphics, and CPU usage, on windows 10. The in-game option was set to limit to 144 fps.

I played for about an hour on the new update, after the update it did ask if I wanted to optimize the game.

I'll leave it running in the liset for a while and see if it helps.

Also, I haven't updated Windows 10 in about a month, so I don't think I have that update yet, and I'm not on the latest Nvidia drivers.

So, I went in last night and noticed my CPU usage was at 100% for all cores, still getting about 200 fps though.

Checked task manager, and it was msmpeng.exe, but it only engaged when I ran Warframe.
After exiting Waframe it kept going for about 10 seconds, then stopped doing whatever.

I dropped it to 1 core and low priority and now getting 370fps in the liset. Still not as good as windows 7 but way better.

11 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Checked task manager, and it was msmpeng.exe, but it only engaged when I ran Warframe.
After exiting Waframe it kept going for about 10 seconds, then stopped doing whatever.

Nice information. Maybe just turn off windows defender to check if FPS goes up any more.

Note that the video above, 2:40, the high CPU usage are nearly all coming from Warframe, so that is shader initializing and compiling. I guess if it is coming from somewhere else, it is likely that process having some problem.

2 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

So, I went in last night and noticed my CPU usage was at 100% for all cores, still getting about 200 fps though.

I dropped it to 1 core and low priority and now getting 370fps in the liset. Still not as good as windows 7 but way better.

msmpeng is related to windows defender, so perhaps install a third party suite, or see what it is doing? Windows Defender will shut down if a third party app is detected (note: WIn10 does more with WinDefender than Win7). There are really solid third party AV solutions. Bitdefender's free solution is solid, as is Kaspersky's if you aren't one to believe what people say about them. 

Other than that: Windows 10 has a bunch of junk it will run by default. It looks like it could be running with the automatic screen recorder on - Check in the Gaming section in the settings menu. High CPU could be because Windows can't use the hardware, so the recording is software based.

@AluminumHaste  i would check for updates in windows 10, at the time you reported this a fix went live for a buggy update that hampered alot of games performances (though i would kill to have that high a framerate myself while i slowly save up to upgrade from this 5 year old aging potato (AMD FX 8320E /16GB DDR3-1600 / GTX 760) (its so old i think its Sprouting "Bad potato" eyes XD) here's a article about the buggy update and about the fix for it, https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-update-ruins-gaming-performance,38761.html

So, it turns out it was a crypto mining virus. The exe was called msmpengs.exe and everytime I deleted it, it would be back after reboot.

Also was prevented from installing any AV software due to the infection. All cleaned now, getting about 380 fps in the Liset in Windows 10 now, very close to the performance I get in Windows 7. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like 1