Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Warframe have an 'end of life' plan?

Jiminez_Burial

On 2019-04-28 at 5:00 AM, DrivaMain said:

Don't listen to him @Corvid , must be another of those troll or hate accounts. 

Anyways, given the current popularity of warframe. I would say warframe could last more than 20 years (just like WoW). 

I genuinely have a dream like many players do that a lot of our most memorable MMOs such as Warframe, WoW (I missed playing it during its hayday), and RuneScape would have a sorta time capsule single player or even online access.

With how many players have sunk lots of money into some games, games-as-a-service leading to having your game forever sounds amazing.

Unfortunately, when a game that had a small or moderate yet dedicated fanbase (ex. FreeRealms, Toontown, Pirates of the Caribbean Online) goes down w/o warning, programmers have to work from almost scratch in order to even try and get it running again.

If warframe ever were to reach an ‘end of life’ scenario, I’d absolutely love to have a fanmade recreation or fan supported private server that doesn’t get CandD’d to death.

• Like 1

On 2019-04-27 at 11:43 PM, Caidezes said:

You know, I've often wondered about this myself. Warframe seems like the type of game that could potentially be reconfigured to play exclusively offline since most of the content can already be played solo. That's something that would take quite a bit of work, though. So much so that I'm not sure any dev team would be willing to do so. If an online game is nearing its termination then odds are the team has more pressing matters to attend to. (Warframe 2, anyone?)

I will say I hope something like that does happen when the game's run its course. It'd suck if something as unique as Warframe just fades away into the void. But we won't really hear any word on that for at least five more years if the playerbase remains as healthy as it has been.

If the game turned Into an offline game, it would need to be purely an offline game due to how easy it is to hack offline games that save client side. and that comes with a ludicrous amount of issues.

Chances are, we won't be seeing warframe 2 ever. It's the difference between a game like warframe which is a service over a one time purchase product like Skyrim for example. Services focus on constantly supplying content in exchange for something like a monthly subscription fee (wizard 101, world of Warcraft) while one time purchase games focus on sequels and DLC (boarderlands, Skyrim). Games that try to do both go through an identity crisis and end up flopping on both monthly content releases and dlc both being lack luster because of over greedy publishers (destiny 1/2)

On 2019-04-27 at 10:12 AM, Jiminez_Burial said:

I've recently watched this video by Accursed Farms talking about games as a service.  As a result I have one simple question: does DE have a plan to make Warframe playable offline once it is no longer profitable/possible to support?  Given that DE have talked about providing an offline option for Nintendo Switch since it's a mobile platform, have they said anything about allowing people to play the game if/when the servers are shut down?

I think that video should be taken with a massive pinch of salt. It's full of logical fallacies and doesn't seem to be very well researched.

9 hours ago, stormy505 said:

If the game turned Into an offline game, it would need to be purely an offline game due to how easy it is to hack offline games that save client side. and that comes with a ludicrous amount of issues.

Chances are, we won't be seeing warframe 2 ever. It's the difference between a game like warframe which is a service over a one time purchase product like Skyrim for example. Services focus on constantly supplying content in exchange for something like a monthly subscription fee (wizard 101, world of Warcraft) while one time purchase games focus on sequels and DLC (boarderlands, Skyrim). Games that try to do both go through an identity crisis and end up flopping on both monthly content releases and dlc both being lack luster because of over greedy publishers (destiny 1/2)

...The Warframe 2 thing was a joke.