Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Toggle Aim" key please!

Kwikwilyaqa

So, we have a keyboard... and still need to toggle the option on and off in the menu instead of simple binding a key for it. Is one of the things you don't care until the day you want to use it - and 3mins later you don't again (then the cycle repeats)... Better in hand than in the options.

4 minutes ago, taiiat said:

IMO the best is to have a dedicated Bind for Hold or Toggle, so that one can use them both simultaneously, and fluidly.
but having both offered ultimately yes.

i could see double tapping aim as a toggle for holding or toggled aim.

9 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

Jesus, that would be awful. I can imagine all the false positives when people just want to extend their aimglides or quickscope multiple enemies or something.

No, it would definitely be a lot better to have dedicated hold/toggle keybinds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taiiat said:

IMO the best is to have a dedicated Bind for Hold or Toggle, so that one can use them both simultaneously, and fluidly.
but having both offered ultimately yes.

Yeah, a bind for auto-hold (toggle-aim "on" in the options menu) with hold as "default" mouse as it is (since we have only "aim" that can be "toggled" between the two modes). I didn't meant a key to toggle between the functions, just one to auto-hold the aim.

16 minutes ago, Kalvorax said:

double tapping should never be used as an input for anything in a Video Game(or any Computer Application at all, for that matter), unless you hate your users.
it's unreliable and creates way too many mistakes.

3 minutes ago, Kwikwilyaqa said:

Yeah, a bind for auto-hold (toggle-aim "on" in the options menu) with hold as "default" mouse as it is

the way i see it, is that people want Hold 9/10 times, but might want Toggle 1/10. so Toggle could be another Bind that they press instead of the normal button, and either one of the two would release it when they want to stop using Fine Aim. since Toggle is just something you press once and let go for a while, i think that works?
that's always worked out well for me in other Shooters atleast, myself.

• Like 2

On topic: Yes, I agree. Whether it's a tick box in the Controls menu or another keybind, having toggle aim as an option is a good idea and probably should be implemented.

On keybinds: I feel that we should be able to determine whether a keybind is held or a toggle during binding, across all keys. Maybe I want one held keybind for Forward on W and one toggle keybind for Froward on Ctrl + W, so I can auto-run my Archwing across long distances. Maybe I want one fire button that fires only when I hold and one fire button that keeps on firing until I hit it again, for those giant Archgun magazines. Sure, some of that might seem impractical, but giving players the choice of non-standard binds is always a positive action.

11 hours ago, taiiat said:

double tapping should never be used as an input for anything in a Video Game(or any Computer Application at all, for that matter), unless you hate your users.
it's unreliable and creates way too many mistakes.

Double-jump strongly disagrees with you ;).

Also, I think that launching windows applications, opening folders etc. would be severely hindered without the option to double-click.

Edited by breakdafunk

8 hours ago, breakdafunk said:

Double-jump strongly disagrees with you ;).

Also, I think that launching windows applications, opening folders etc. would be severely hindered without the option to double-click.

Double Jump ultimately gets away with it because the only other competing option, requires another button to be held(and normal jumping effectively has a cooldown - though on a steep angled surface where you might want to press jump more quickly, you could accidentally Double Jump). granted, that creates a different problem such as if you wanted to Double Jump from a crouched position, but while that's a problem it's one we can work around.
so there's still problems, in that case.

double clicking in Windows has an adjustable timeout window, which helps massively. and it's also easy to have Windows treat a button as a double click, too.

Edited by taiiat