Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tips to find Ayatan Sculptures, outside of Arbitration

(PSN)Quantaminum

Question

It's that time in Nightwave again.

Fully socket 3 sculptures.

I always enjoyed hunting for sculptures, rare containers and hidden caches, and I learned a few things doing so. So, here I'll try to give you guys some tips on how to find Sculptures more easily.

1. Loot build

Depending on the map you decide to hunt sculptures, you must have a combination of Loot Radar / Thief's Wit / Animal Instinct (2 of these will be enough for any map).

Don't use nuke frames. We don't wanna break containers for this strategy, because that's gonna eventually slow us down when it comes to the next steps.

Scanners can help you quickly check groups of containers where you're not sure if there's something else there. They are extremely helpful to check your surroundings when you haven't memorized the loot placement yet.

2. Memorization

Sculptures spawn in the exact same spot as:
a) Cephalon fragments
b) Somachord Tones
c) Rare containers
d) Syndicate medallions

So, if you ever come across any of these, REMEMBER THAT PLACE down to every container near it and any other reference points. In future runs, a sculpture can spawn there.

Spoiler

This video is perfect to portray this.
Did you notice that Cephalon Fragment on top of that box, below the tubing?
So, when that room appeared later, there was a Sculpture on top of that same box, below the tubing.

That sculpture could have easily been missed, but I memorized that spawn location on top of the box, and that was the only reason I bothered looking at that box. Otherwise, I would have just rushed past it.

And that's also why we don't wanna break containers/crates.
Containers also have set spawn locations. If you break them, their loot "jumps" from them a bit to the right, or left, or any other direction, and that's just gonna mess your memorization of the loot placement in the room.

Once you memorize enough rooms, you'll know whether or not there's a sculpture/rare container in a room, and adjacent rooms, by just quickly checking your radar. No need to blow up everything and collect the loot to see what doesn't move.

Memorization takes a while, but it pays off in the long run, as this is gonna increase your passive ENDO gain in your daily casual runs, in almost any mission.
Obviously, you don't have to memorize ALL spawn locations in every single tileset. No one will, right?

Just remember where you found those items above and pay attention to your radar when you running void fissures / sortie / xxxxx farming.

You'd be amazed at how often Sculptures and Rare containers can go unnoticed.

3. Grind

You got yourself a good build and memorized some spawn locations (and hopefully even found some sculptures in the process), now where can you be even more efficient at sculpture hunting, and sculpture hunting alone.

a) Mariana - Earth

Yup, the very second node of this game is probably the best option, which makes this accessible for every one.

The map is very compact in general, the objective is short, and there is a very small variety of rooms for you to run into, without any extensive dead-ends (a corridor that leads into another room that is only connected to dead-ends). In the only big room, double-jumping is enough to show you what's on the top floor.
It was even easier to find sculptures in this node a few months ago, but DE patched it and added a bunch of pollution crates to the map.
You can complete the mission and check every sculpture spawn location on your map in 60 seconds.

Small tip: Dead-end rooms in this map (they have a ledge and water) don't spawn crates. If your radar shows loot in a dead-end room and you didn't kill anyone inside it, there's a sculpture or rare container there. I love it when there's a void fissure in this node.

b) Corpus Hijack missions

The objective may take a while to complete, but once you deploy the cargo, it's just a straight route, without dead-ends.
If you didn't find the sculpture before deploying the cargo, just rush until the end of the route.
No sculpture found = leave
Found a sculpture = rush back to the cargo and complete the mission

c) Phorid invasion

Phorid invasions barely spawn any containers/crates, so it's really easy to spot sculptures there, due to the sheer lack of pollution, even if you didn't memorize anything.

4. Conclusion

Although a bit rare, sculptures are not as once-in-a-blue-moon-when-animals-talk rare as some of the community make it seem, and they are actually farmable outside of arbitrations.
The issue is that players were not encouraged to hunt them, until Nightwave arrived.
With this tips, you can probably find 3 sculptures in 2 hours, with some very bad RNG. My worst was 3 in a hour.

For me, getting into sculpture hunting had three stages so far:

a) Scanner out all the time.
b) *Checks radar*
"Wait a second... I don't think that container is usually there. Lemme check it out."
c) *Checks radar*
"Cool. There's a sculpture in the next tile, for which I haven't even opened the door yet, but I know what room it is because of the containers placement in it."

Right now, I can't go a week without finding at least 5 sculptures in my casual runs, which involve Sorties, focus farming in Adaro and maybe some Void Fissures and Kuva Siphons (lots of waiting in the latter, good to take a look around). Really just checking radar for anything out of the ordinary.

Hopefully, all of this will help you complete that NW challenge in no time.

Good luck.

Notes:

- Hidden caches (side objective from Sabotage and Extermination) spawn in different places/physical spot than Sculptures/Rare Containers/Fragments. Some times, such places are very close to Sculptures', but they are not really shared.
- Although very rare, you can find two rare containers in the same mission, not sure about Ayatan Sculptures (it was a thing during raids).
- I'm not aware of any mission where there's an increased chance to spawn sculptures, and that's really hard to confirm as well.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum
  • Like 5

5 answers to this question

I generally use Ignis on anything under lvl 100ish so Ayatan farming came as a natural bonus to my play style.

I don't really agree with the "don't break crates" concept as a result. In fact I would say break all crates and anything left is an Ayatan but the most important part is being there for another reasons. Doing Syndicate missions is ideal since you're hunting for marks anyways and as you mentioned it gives you an idea of where they like to spawn. Mariana is indeed the best spot I've found but I only go there when an Exterminate Fissure is up for some Ducats and an occasional Relic reward.

As a contrast Ayatan came out with Silver Grove 3.0 September 21, 2016. By Jan 28, 2017. 4 Months later I posted this video where my Ship's capacity was filled entirely by Ayatan I found while playing the game. I never went out of my way to farm them or buy them. Near effortless.

Spoiler

Efficient use of your time is key. Always try to do multiple things at once just like you would with Nightwave stuff.

Once DE removed the Credit cost of taking Endo out of Ayatan I dumped the ship for about 3k plat and have probably filled it 3 or 4 times over since. I was playing pretty heavily around this time so take that into consideration of course. I've since never really kept track though I've been keeping all my Valana as a means of parsing since they were added later.

latest?cb=20170324232518These guys.

I generally find 2-4 per day just playing. They're not very rare as you mentioned.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

I don't really agree with the "don't break crates" concept as a result

I should have worded it better.

Breaking all containers sure is a valid and very good strategy, but it conflicts with this memorization strategy. There are spawn locations where the sculpture will be 1 meter away from a container. Breaking that container might make me visit corners only to find an alloy plate on the ground, i.e. waste my time.

I just find glancing at my radar faster, and most of the time I will be leveling/putting formas in my weapons, so I won't be able to use Ignis very often, or I'll just be speedrunning through missions.

Again, not saying breaking containers is a bad strategy. Far from that. It just doesn't match with this strategy.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

Don't use nuke frames. We don't wanna break containers for this strategy, because that's gonna eventually slow us down 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

And that's also why we don't wanna break containers/crates.
Containers also have set spawn locations. If you break them, their loot "jumps" from them a bit to the right, or left, or any other direction, and that's just gonna mess your memorization of the loot placement in the room.

Faster to just Break All The Containers....

The trick is to Break all The containers as quickly as possible....

9 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Faster to just Break All The Containers....

The trick is to Break all The containers as quickly as possible....

Not when playing the memory game. He explains his reasoning so clearly and you even quote it, but you're just to daft to understand. How you got to where you are is a mystery to me.

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

Again, not saying breaking containers is a bad strategy. Far from that. It just doesn't match with this strategy.

Mostly just pointing out there's different strategies. Your suggestion is great if the player's intent is solely Ayatan farming.

I'm more for efficient gains to get them passively as I play that way I won't need to actually farm them at any point.