Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pointless angry rant about the Exploiter Orb on Fortuna

LumpyWater

I just wasted 2 hours of my life trying to conserve animals, mine rocks and explore caves to die to the exploiter orb because the last animal I tried to conserve opened the doors to it.

Once the doors were open I was locked in and could not leave, every set of doors locked behind the first and I was willing to explore, I wandered to try to find a way out and I found a button to press, I pressed the button and a boss appeared.  I tried to leave afterwards through the hole thats above it since I saw air and I had an archwing. That hole above the orb is a kill plain.  It killed me, I resurrected and wandered to the door I came in from, It was locked.  And so I went to the wiki and looked up how to fight it, spent maybe an hour fighting it poorly and then tried to follow it outside, it went outside through the hole I died to last time, maybe it was because the boss was there and that was the next phase so I thought. Nope still killed me, death #2.  I go outside to finish the fight off and I die to the bosses attacks death #3.  I'm unsure if I can leave because the communications from the quest characters tell me to stop the orb from attacking Fortuna, that sounds like a death if I leave. In most singleplayer games that kind of a message means if you leave the fight you game over. And so I finished the fight off and heard something about getting whatever drops from the boss and leaving, I back up and sit maybe a full far distance away, the orb looks far enough, this is out of range of pretty much all abilites. And then I die to the boss's death explosion. Maybe.. don't kill the player? You really needed a dumb gotcha after all the other dumb gotchas? That was a mission fail and I lost literally all that I did for the entire time I wasted doing that.

TLDR: Exploiter orb should not be able to be started randomly and accidentally and it shouldn't force you into it.  On top of that the fight was really tedious and the end explosion gotcha was really frustrating and pointless, it also doesn't tell you in any way how far is far enough, and it kills you 100-0. Really stupid, I'm probably quitting this game, its just full of dumb stuff like this and nothing will come of me posting this at all, it won't even be read by DE.

Edited by LumpyWater

This isnt a rant, this is valuable feedback, you should edit the title to be more specific about the topic. I can see how you think that leaving would result in a mission failure, I dont actually know what happens when you do. The death explosion is a little more obvious if you know the other spider fight (Profit Taker). You could however evade this kind of death by using spoiler mode. DE staff does read the feedback section but not everything is immediatly acted upon.

I edited the title, I'm not exactly sure this is on their list of priorities but it was incredibly frustrating to me.  The least they could have done with the end of the boss is put a range warning up like they do with the Balor Fomorians, or don't actually kill the player, maybe cutscene them and cutscene a heal or repair or someone from Fortuna coming out to ressurect you on the field without taking an actual death.

Or they could just change free roam so you keep things even if you die or extract, its not a mission it doesn't need mission failure.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb LumpyWater:

Or they could just change free roam so you keep things even if you die or extract, its not a mission it doesn't need mission failure.

Have you checked if you have really lost all your stuff? I think I remember changes that made it so in the open worlds your progress would be saved from time to time. IIRC it was something like every 15 minutes or with the end of every bounty stage. I remember hearing this about the plains so it should work in the orb vallis aswell.

If you put "rant" in your title of course DE wont read it. You'd want to be specific about the issue, something like "accidentally entering Deck 12 forces to start the fight".

Edited by Drachnyn

There was a end of mission screen after the death, it showed me getting literally nothing from it since it only would have given me any bounties I had completed, I was not there to do bounties I was there to conserve animals and mine gems. I don't even think it even gave me experience for killing things.

Well, now you know how the fight goes, and you won't repeatedly fly into a killzone that already killed you once, or stand around in the blast radius next time. It's unfortunate that this happened to you during a solo farm session, but if it's any consolation, Exploiter Orb will drop about 10x the rep you earned in 2 hours of farming in a ~10 minute fight.

Edit: also, not sure why you stuck around once you got outside. You could have abandoned the area and just gone back to Fortuna, but you kept going when you knew you had 0 revives left.

Edited by sinnae

Because I was told by the game that the orb would attack Fortuna and I had to stop it. That and I was a bit committed anyways having spent at least 30 minutes trying to figure out the rest of it anyways.  I had 1 revive left and it died to the boss, I died to the first time cheap shot trap. Leaving without finishing the orb had I knew it was an option with that kind of time commitment would have still sucked, just sucked less.

"x will attack the city" is the same thing that I was told in monster hunter to stop Jhen Mohran who otherwise just looks like a random whale just doing whale things.  If you don't stop the whale in time it fails the mission because its assumed that it goes on to attack the city behind you. I thought it might be the same thing and it was probably safer to fight the boss, it was safer until the boss died.

Edited by LumpyWater

This is so déjà vu only that I was mining ores and then saw this door... and I thought I was heading back Fortuna but suddenly Eudico started drama talking...

8 hours ago, LumpyWater said:

Once the doors were open I was locked in and could not leave

There's the issue for solo wanderers who have'nt been through raiding the Exploiter Orb... good thing when I aborted mission, my loots where delivered in my inventory.

7 hours ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

That only applies to bounty rewards. Nothing you pick up is saved.

Failed Mission Summary isn't that accurately updated on what you you've gathered from free roaming... I did a checking when I return to the Orbiter, and confirmed its there, especially when I'm about to build something in the foundry - a purpose from that material.