Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Call of the Void - Chapter 1: Adolescence [Closed]

DaMadReaper

Oh thank goodness, they managed to get Gabby!

Karl sighed with relief, allowing the ladies to deal with the  and then looked to Cyriann and Martijn as they discussed the plan to ambush these things and complete the task, following with them whilst the others dealt with Gabby. "I can deal with some of these creatures, I got the claws for it anyway." he assured, extending out and then sheathing back into his infected hands. "Once we launch this ambush, we keep moving and use those guerrilla tactics like that Rambo guy used to do." he suggested, quickly moving towards the clock tower so he could set up the trap as best as he could with his own radio and tuning it to the channel that they'd use to perform this ambush.

"Tune it to channel ten Cyriann." he requested.

• 2 weeks later...

We must have attracted so much attention now, it would have been disastrous were this not at least a partially controlled initiation. Following suit, she took her time to look at her surroundings, seeing if she could find any points of potential oncoming danger.

"It's great that someone's taking point, but I think it'd be even better if we didn't all die in a simple exercise." She uttered facetiously, not expecting a response.

On 2020-04-04 at 10:55 PM, Drakeardian said:

"I can deal with some of these creatures, I got the claws for it anyway." he assured, extending out and then sheathing back into his infected hands. "Once we launch this ambush, we keep moving and use those guerrilla tactics like that Rambo guy used to do."

Looking around the individuals of the group, she wouldn't bet half of them knew how to properly employ guerrilla tactics. She for one, did not. As they moved closer to the clocktower, she loaded her crossbow with one of her bolts lowering it into a prepared position. For all she knew, the place they planned to ambush them could also be their adopted home.

In a more serious tone, she expressed "We should really move with more caution here. We've been sent in blind, and we aren't exactly being covert, so let's not continue rushing ahead blindly." Hali continued surveying the buildings and streets as the two groups joined up.

• 2 weeks later...

I am, admittedly, not nearly awake enough for this. A traitorous part of my own mind reminds me in that annoying sing-song that regardless of my appreciation (or rather absolute lack thereof) I should have taken the chance to drink a coffee or twelve. Well, at least I have actual food in my stomach unlike during that debacle some years ago.Something new pokes at my mind. A concept that wasn't there before, something so odd a that intrigues me so much that I don't blab off more during the briefing, simply following the group as I dissect the concept mentally.

And then everything goes wrong. It takes me about half a minute of idle musing until I realize what just happened. Gabby ran away.Old memories of unsupervised kids come back crashing. Childish glee and soldier voices. The song of tiny feet and the bellow of landmines. Innocent cut short by automatic fire.

No. Nonono. Nononononotagainno!

Hello  adrenalin my old friend. I feel myself brutally back into reality, muscles roaring to life as I sprint like a madwoman, terrified of what I might see. Thankfully, in the end, I simply find the group and Gabby, and let out a sigh of relief.

"Please never do this again. Kid, there are monsters in the streets. Remember your nightmares? Those things are worse, and they are real. It's not just you. None of us can be  safe alone. We might not even be safe as a group."

I take a long breath and realize our vampire-like friend just mentioned the radio.

"Wait. Before we start playing tag with the local abominations, who aside from me is manning the frontlines? I have...Something new. I believe it might help quite a bit here."

Edited by 404Cygni

5 hours ago, 404Cygni said:

"Wait. Before we start playing tag with the local abominations, who aside from me is manning the frontlines? I have...Something new. I believe it might help quite a bit here."

"Hey now, take a breather. Nobody's getting hurt on my watch." Dino said to the shaken up Agnes. Even she wasn't running that hard. Maybe she's not the only one who feels sluggish with this sickness in her veins... well, everyone's fine at least.

"Frontlines sound like the ideal place for me, not much I can do in the back the way I am now."