Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Current melee is still blegh.

Avlaen

I used to forget that melee existed, and when I did use it I was frustrated that I couldn’t shoot dudes. Directed melee slam is also clutch.

I'm fine with melee, but sympathetic to people that preferred the old way. 

It’s just the way this game is, I guess. They don’t make sequels, they just keep updating the same game. Hopefully they always make it better, but there’s bound to be trade offs to the constant changes. Streamlining systems like melee will inevitably lead to a loss of features. 

Yoy never know, though. They might change their minds about eliminating melee only when you have guns. It might lead to some Arma levels of complicated controls, but this game might be able to withstand that.

P.S. Melee channeling could be improved though. I don’t like having to attack AND THEN be able to channel and also having channeling turn off when you aim. 

Edited by (NSW)Sk0rp1on
Forgot a word

On 2019-09-20 at 5:01 PM, VanosPrime said:

It would be so easy to fix the current melee.

1 - When you have a melee weapon out your aim button becomes your block button. Remove auto block because it's no longer necessary. This will also allow you to glide with a melee weapon again.

2 - Switch all weapons primary combo to be a quick looping combo to appease the lazy players. Change all other combos to match Wukongs Iron Staff combo inputs for ease of use.

3 - Remove channeling and replace with heavy attack combos. Holding the melee button will initiate the heavy attack combo so each press after the first will be a heavy attack until the combo finishes or a second or two without pressing the button resets it back to quick attacks. This will save everyone having to bind another key for heavy attacks.

4 - Rework slide attacks to tone them down significantly. Yes, melee will finally require actual thought and not just spamming a macro, whoa!

5 - Increase starting combo duration to six seconds. Three seconds base just doesn't cut it. 

I honestly think with these changes melee would be enjoyable for everyone. Well except maybe slide attack spammers but I honestly think the game would be healthier without that aspect of melee in the game.

You're mostly on point as I remember them saying Wukong's melee system was the 3.0 target: accessing all weapon stances via directional and button input. Heavy strikes were not to be charge attacks but heavier combos with a button hold (aim).

To be honest, I don't get the quick melee arguement. The gameplay is AWESOME now! Learn the stances and integrate gunplay within stikes. It has given me new ideas when using impact based primary weapons with slash melees and adds another layer of builds and combinations to keep enemies off balance.  This direction is great and reminds me of the DMC series! 

Now, I do understand the blocking arguement. Although I like the feature because its an automatic damage reduction that only restricts motion with heavy attacks, I do find myself still hunting for that button every now and then. I think the issue is mostly in the lack of buttons available for console users versus PC which is why it's not an easy fix.

1 hour ago, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

Now, I do understand the blocking arguement. Although I like the feature because its an automatic damage reduction that only restricts motion with heavy attacks, I do find myself still hunting for that button every now and then. I think the issue is mostly in the lack of buttons available for console users versus PC which is why it's not an easy fix.

Actually, it is...

... Don't PC gamepad users and/or console players have auto-tracking because of the gamepad imprecision for aiming? Then the auto-block fix is even more simple...

... Put that function for PC gamepad users and/or console players only, for the lack of buttons those control methods have.

Not great not terrible.

We need a better system for sure. Actually we need a manual non channel parry mechanic, as well as manual block. The whole channel thing requires a rework, as well as some of the melee mods, and we need new stances with better combo options.

But most importantly, we need animation cancelling.