Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ninja Updates and Things I'd like to See for Warframe in 2020

(PSN)CrysJaL

Over the last few months we've had alot of complaints. Particularly the Lich system and Railjack have come under fire, admittedly with good reason. There are issues with both, whether mechanical issues or design flaws that make both systems unenjoyable in their current states. These two updates and a few videos (in particular Rahetalius let's not deny it) have really made me think about this. Now i've already made a post about the Lich system and beyond some improvements that have already been commented elsewhere for Railjack there isn't much for me to say there. Instead this post is going to be part recomendation for a change in the way DE develops the game (at least for 2020) aswell as a list of small things I would like to see come about.

The Ninja system

Runescape is an MMO built around fairly passive grinding and combat. It's admittedly a very simple game, not at all like Warframe in almost any respect. However, there is one lesson that could be taken from Jagex (Runescape's devs) which I think would really benefit DE going forward. I'm talking about the Ninja team. 

The Ninja team are (or were) a small group of devs whose job it is to polish the game in various ways. This in the past resulted in a large number of minor but very much appreciated changes to the game, quality of life things. I'd like to give a few examples but I stopped playing Runescape when I picked up Warframe many years ago so my mind is blank right now as I write this. Having said that a small team whose job it is to manage minor balancing issues and make smaller improvements as opposed to groups working on larger projects at once would benefit the general gameplay immensely. Small updates and patches that improve some quality of Warframe, perhaps released alongside Tenno reinforcements would be an incredibly popular move.

In addition it might also be a good idea to steal another idea of Jagex's but apply it differently. Jagex allowed players to vote on what content they wanted to be worked on. Players were more involved in the game as a result of this and I believe that it also resulted in more engagement and awareness of the game's development. So alongside this Ninja dev system for Warframe I have recommended I would recommend that playerbase vote on whatever this team is going to work on at any given time. Whether its a small update to the extractor system, or a retweaking of how drops work at higher level content I believe allowing the players to have an active role in this would be a fantastic community focused system that fosters the kind of goodwill that DE have historically been known to have with its playerbase.

Ideas and Minor things I want to see in 2020

Content Islands

Railjack and the Lich system has laid bare one of the biggest issues with Warframe currently. Content islands. Railjack, Liches and even our open worlds are almost entirely isolated from general gameplay. After grinding the rewards from any particular island there is little reason to go back to it. Particualrly Liches suffer tremendously from this as they are (at least in their current state) something of a painful grind and a commitment when active due to their stealing of resources. There NEEDS desperately to be a reason to go back to these systems after we are done with them. The Lich system for example could be improved upon in a variety of ways such as giving the player an increased return on rewards after their lich is killed (effectively increasing the res reward at the cost of reduced rewards in the meantime) or making the entire system more related to general gameplay. I'm not going to speak further on Liches here, that's what my earlier post was about, feel free to check it out via my profile (aswell as my other concepts if you like) if you're interested.

Syndicate Standing

I want to see regalia etc separated from the standing system. I have spoken about it before and suggested that the syndicate you support could be controlled via separate menu etc. There is nothing more annoying than realising you forgot to switch out a sigil on one of your warframes and losing standing in the syndicate you are ranking up. Equally it's incredibly annoying to have to change 30+ sigils every time you decide to switch factions for whatever reason. The proposed Ninja team could work on this realtively tiny change to the game.

Extractors

Something else I have mentioned on other posts. Extractors are a fairly dull mechanic which exist to provide a minor amount of resources (which I adimttedly appreciated immensely when I first started Warframe) but which are still a fairly dull system designed to make players think about the game and return to it. I'd like to either see a new extractor system like one I suggested a month or so ago or a more gameplay related idea. One idea I had was for extractors to boost resource gains on the planet you send them to. The player would effectively nominate the planet they would be playing on and the extractor would gather an extra 10% of the resources you gathered on that planet for its duration. So you'd drop one on Ceres for example and then spend an hour or so farming a given resource and when you extractor is finishe it would give you 10% more of whatever resources you had gathered.

Alternatively and this is really the simplest idea regarding extractors I have had. I'd like to see an auto deploy feature. I currently rock eight of each extractor type meaning I never run risk of losing an extractor. I'd like the option of being able to press a button and deploy fresh extractors to the planets I just gathered my resources from. Going back to each planet individually and redeploying an extractor is a minor irritant I'd rather just do without and which certainly doesnt incentivise use of the system. This in particular is the sort of minor update a Ninja update team might work on but which the community would no doubt appreciate.

An Active Solar System

I'd like to see a new system that shows how active the system is. Minor month long semi events that thematically indicate some sort of activity. For example the ideas below:

•  There is an increase in production on Ceres resulting in increased drops. 
  • Someone released a dangerous chemical which has inadvertently affected the wild animal poulation. Animals in plains are much more common to spawn around you and spawn rates of rarer creatures while hunting are larger.
  • Alad V (for example) has radied a nearby planet and stolen important resources and so now you have a small chance to receive Orokin cells on Jupiter for the next few weeks.
  • There was a mistake in production rates at the Grineer weapon manufacturing facilities and they have been producing too many flamethrowers so now there is a temporary increase in the spawn rate for Napalm and Hyeka Master units. 

These would be incredibly minor tweaks to some game files but they would mix things up in game and only really require a message to be sent to players in some form each time they changed. 

Scaling Rewards

I'm sure people at DE are tired of hearing this now but a proper scaling reward system, perhaps one not unlike the current scaling endless fissure system would be encouraging but more could be done. For the sake of argument here's an example fo what I'd like to see, every 20m into a survival now you get an increasing 50% chance of an extra reward every rotation which would encourage players to play 40m intervals instead fo the usual 20 but this would be at the cost to the player of more challenging content. Our game is designed around min maxing and grinding, this system would play into that in a massive way.

Those are a few ideas I've had. Mainly minor changes or ideas. I really feel a Ninja update team would foster alot fo goodwill and improve player retention rates and engagement. Please, post some ideas below and let's get the ball rolling on this.

While agree on most points - especially the part about Content Islands and the active solar system - i pretty much lost all hope something like this will ever come.

I also like your ideas about Extractors, i didnt care for them as because the current system is simply unrewarding and tedious to maintain.

The only problem i see is that its basically the same as a ressource booster...so it might need to be different.

My idea just right now: Make extractors a thing you can place from your gearwheel which you then have to defend for a certain time.

Just like in any excavation mission, but they give you the ressources the planet usually drops.

I posted similiar things about the OpenWorlds for over a year now in the Feedback section (dont missunderstand this, lots of people gave feedback on the OpenWorlds, i am just expressing my personal experience), it has 3 pages with tons of ideas, some are smaller improvements which would be easy to implement while others would demand a lot more work but still DE has added nothing that comes to close to the points the community asked for since the release of PoE and again after the Release of OV.

Just 1 example which definetly isnt just my personal Point of View but more or less common sense in the community:

Bounties get boring and way to repetitive really quick, they are basically all defense missions.

People said this already after the first hype about PoE toned down, it has been 2 years and there hasnt been one single addition to the Bounty Mission table

(we probably should be happy that the defense mission bounties in OV are slightly different 🙄)

Its not even hard to add a few more bounty missions which are different (at least much less work then other things), but they simply didnt care about it.

In the Spoiler below you can find 10 mission ideas i gathered over the year and a link to the source-topic.

I still think it would be a nice addition and i probably would farm some standing just for the cosmetics we can get,

but as it stands, the last time i tried to do bounties for Nightwave i Alt+F4'd because its just so boring.

Spoiler

Hijack a corpus/grineer ship:

Spoiler

- both OpenWorlds have the flying ships, and we have to Hijack them and bring them to extraction in 2 stages

1st stage:

- Eliminate all targets that are on the Dropship - try not to damage the ship itself! If you damage it, the mission will be harder afterwards

2nd stage:

- Get on the ship just like in a regular Hijack-mission and power it with shields to make it move towards extraction

- while doing so, both flying units and ground units are trying to destroy it to prevent it from being extracted, so you might have to fight on 2 fronts

- possible Bonus: No dmg on health taken

Rescue a target:

Spoiler

- it works like a regular rescue, but with a few twists

- the target is in a Prison cell either in caves (in fortuna we got caves will little "puzzles" like the one where the water is under electricity) or in one of the huge facilities

- the twist is: The console that needs to be hacked is not near the prisoner, but somewhere else, so the team has to split up

- both the prisoner and the console is heavily defended by enemies

- when the one team is ready to guard the prisoner, the other team has to hack the console (if they do it too early, the prisoner might get killed by the enemies)

after that, there are 2 possible ways for the mission to continue:

a) both teams can meet and guard the prisoner together just like in a regular rescue mission

b) the prisoner has some sort of electronic chain attached to him, so the "hacking team" has to continue to defend the console or the chain gets activated again

if they fail to defend it, the prisoner cant move until the console is hacked again

Assault - plant a bomb:

Spoiler

- this mission will work like the Assault mission on the kuva fortress

1st stage:

- we have to pick up a bomb and bring it to one of the huge facilities/bridges/caves

- their might be some bombcarrier-mechanic involved just like in the "Law of Retribution"-Raid

2nd stage:

- plant the bomb and defend it

- the location where the bomb has to be planted can make this mission a lot more interesting, so for example: We got really tall buildings in Orb Vallis, and the bomb gets planted somewhere halfway up some of these huge structures or completly on top. This means that some players might actually need to be fighting in Archwings to properly defend the bomb because enemys are also flying up there (Dargyns, enemies on dropships, typical Archwing-mission enemies)

possible twist:

- we have to plant 2  bombs at the same time and defend them at the same, so the players have to split up a little again and defend different spots

- or: only one bomb, but it needs to get armed via a console that is located somewhere else. the result is the same, the team has to split up, 2 players defend and 2 players search the console and fight there to be able to hack it and arm the bomb.

Defend an Outpost (infested salvage and/or Railjack type elements involved):

Spoiler

- when you capture one of the outposts, this could lead to a certain bounty type that basically is a defense mission, but again, with twists

- after starting the new bounty, the Corpus want to get the Outpost back, so you have to defend one "high priority defense target" and several "low priority targets"

a) the "high priority target" is a target just like in any other defense mission with standard HP and shields

b) the "low priority targets" are not always active, but the enemies can set certain objects on fire

if that happens, you either have to extinguish them like seen in the Railjack trailer

or you have to bring a ressource like the Antiserum-charges  known from the infested salvage gamemode to those hot-spots to isolate them and prevent further damage

that means enemies will drop this ressource, and you have to keep the "isolation" active for a small amount of time (like keeping the bubble in infested salvage)

This would be a great bonus reward for a defense mission: "no low priority target got destroyed"

Aerial Defense:

Spoiler
  • just like in a normal Defense-Mission, you have to defend a stationary target
  • in a bounty, it will take a certain time (~2.30 minutes)
  • The difference to a normal Defense is that we have to play against enemies that are mainly in the air
  • so, we would face the enemies you can see in normal Archwing missions
  • the result would be probably that it is more (long-range)-weapon focussed gameplay instead of Warframe-ability-focussed

• possible twist: Our defense-target is getting picked up by a dropship while we are defending it
  • if its a bounty-mission, it will get slowly but steadily lifted into the air until it is safely deployed in the dropship (kinda like the ambulas on the pluto-boss)
  • that could mean that some of the players need to also equip their archwing to properly defend it
  • possible extra twist: we have to fuel the dropship with energy-cells that get dropped by enemies (like in an excavation mission)
  • in this scenario, players have to pick them up on the ground - equip their archwing - and fly the cells to the dropship

Aerial Defense (endless) in the OrbVallis Outposts:

Spoiler
  • my previous mission could also be our first endless-mission in OrbVallis
  • so, just like in a normal Defense, enemies come in waves
  • the defense-target is a console or other object from the outpost
  • in this case, the mission will include both twists, so the dropship + the energy-cells
  • after 5 waves, lots of Mite Raknoids will be spawned
  • after 10 waves, a few Scyto Raknoids will be spawned
  • after 15 waves, a Kyta Raknoid will be spawned (all Raknoids spawn in addition to the other enemies)

Now comes the interesting part, after 15 waves, we will have to change location to another Outpost (will be marked on the minimap).

• we can either simply jump on the dropship and travel on it to the next location
  • or we equip our Archwing/K-Drive to move to the next location
  • while we are moving to the next outpost, some enemies might attack the dropship, so we might have to defend it

After that, the process repeats.

• since there are 7 Outposts, the maximum number of waves is 105
  • the 1st outpost is random, after that we will always travel to the closest one in the same direction (clockwise or counter-clickwise)

Recovery:

Spoiler
  • this will probably work best as a bounty-stage and not as an endless mission
  • we have to defend a target as usual
  • but there is a new enemy-type that is able to detach certain parts of our defense-target
  • this enemy will act a bit like a ghoul (from PoE):
  1. He is able to move underground
  2. they will suddenly appear on the defense target and will detach a part really quickly in 1 or 2 seconds, so you might be able to counter it, but if not:
  3. he will go underground again with the detached part and moves for ~50 meters until he will come to the surface again for 10-15 seconds
  4. he will be marked on the map, and you have to kill him and bring the part back, but you will have only ~3 chances to do so until he completly disappears
  5. if a certain number of parts (maybe 3 or 5) will get detached and not recovered over the time you have to defend it, the mission fails
  6. you get a bonus at the end of the bounty stage if no parts were detached/all have been recovered
  • this means that if parts get detached, one player has to try to recover the part while the others keep defending the target.
  • still, it can be done solo if you you take care (while playing solo, numbers of enemies is tuned down like anywhere else)

Exterminate-Assasination:

Spoiler
  • we have to locate a Assasination target
  • the target will be one of the existing Bosses (modified - will have all unique attacks but no invulnerability-phases once it can be attacked)
  • on PoE they will be in large caves
  • on OV they will be either in the Spaceport/Enrichment Labs/Temple of Profit or in a large caves

• before we can kill them, we have to eliminate all enemies in that area (~50 enemies)
  • until each enemy is dead, the Assasination target is invulnerable, but they can attack us
  • enemies have lifelink to the Boss: if they damage us, the HP of the Boss will increase
  • the HP will also increase over time once we are spotted

• this means we can chose between being fast or stealthy

Rush-Sabotage:

Spoiler
  • the task is to get to a location which is far away (between 1000-2000 meters)
  • at that location, we have to destroy a device

• there is a time-limit which is calculated in a way that we have to use our Archwing/K-Drive to get there in time
  • on our way, we have to kill a certain amount of enemies (30 enemies in Solo-Play - 60 enemies in a full squad)
  • the last of those enemies will drop the device which we need to perform the sabotage

• for this mission, it would be really cool if it would come with my suggested K-Drive-Rework (Point 6 in OP)
  • recap: this would allow us to shoot from our K-Drives (or Archwings ofc) which would make this mission probably really fun

Hostage Taker:

Spoiler
  • the tasks is to find 3 targets in a horde of enemies that we have to take hostage (dont kill them!)
  • this can take place in open field but also in caves or the facilities

• as soon as they appear alongside the other enemies, they get marked with a red waypoint
  • they are vulnerable, this means we have to make sure that we dont kill them (use abilities and AoE-Weapons with caution!)
  • instead, we have to shoot them with our tranq-rifle
  • once they are put to sleep, they become vulnerable to enemy damage and will draw aggro
  • we have to defend them for a short period of time (~30 seconds) until they get picked up by a dropship or something (seeing our Orbiter fly in would be cool^^)

• only one of the targets appears at a time
  • we have to take at least 1 target hostage to succeed the mission (like in a normal Spy for example)
  • the bonus bounty reward could be "take all 3 targets hostage"

Ps: someone probably wants to mention SquadLink in regards to Content Islands, and we can just hope that they manage to create something fun there,

but my feeling is it will become Incursions 2.0 with boring missions and bad rewards...lets wait and see.

Edited by DreisterDino

1 hour ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

I would recommend that playerbase vote on whatever this team is going to work on at any given time.

Absolutely, 100% no.

Either this team has the authority of the team/studio leads or they require the involvement of them, which means all of this is already going on, just without making it public. If it wasn't already the case, the changelogs at the end of every hotfix and update would be barren.

• Like 1

Most of the minor changes you noted could be implemented by a small team of 3-5 people. 

I disagree that the DEV should ask players for a vote to decide what to work on. Most players just want things made easier and less grindy, so they don't really know what they can't see. The empyrean is one such example. On the other hand, if DE does create a small team to improve the quality of life, it could work for them but not the entire development team.

The regalia system is pretty bad. I did need to swap through 10 frames just to level a specific syndicate. They should keep the emblems on the warframe for fashion frame, but they should remove it's function. Instead there should be a selection ticker for the syndicate we want to ally with in the syndicate interface in the orbital as well as under the general menu.

The lich add-on was very popular the moment it was released, but as soon as empyrean arrived people had no interest in doing them. This is because the lich system is a very long tedious grind for very few rewards. Some suggestions in fixing the lich system problems includes canceling the lich quest with some form of payment, possibly with kuva. I ask this because I accidently triggered it and didn't want to spend several days clearing it again. If they implement cancellation, there should also be a week long cool down timer to prevent farming exploitation. I feel like converting liches wasn't very well thought out since they're largely useless compared to getting their kuva weapons. But if we're going to convert them at least let us customize their appearance. Additionally, each time we kill or convert a lich, our operators should obtain requiem a little faster as an incentive to keep killing more. Lastly, the lich system should include rewards for other players helping kill a lich as an incentive to keeping this system active. 

The solar system is bland since the missions are largely unchanging. I do notice some mix-ups during the night and day cycle but it's not that significant in variance. After playing this game for a few years, the unchanging predictable aspect of the game has kept it in a lull where it feels unexciting (Though I think this is what the lich system should have been doing). While alerts were designed to keep the solar system fresh, it's mostly the same quests. They should make the missions a bit more varied with the suggestions you made such as an increase in specific enemy types. I also think they should consider mixing two missions into one to throw players for a loop. For example, an extermination alert mission suddenly became an assassination quest because the boss made a surprise visit. Or sabotaging the ship only to realize one of our crew was captured and we need to rescue them before the ship goes nuclear. I also believe that missions that like these should be reserved for those that give out a greater reward, such as the lotus gifts since it's increase in complexity.