Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Overhaul

weeaboopotato

Goal

There really isn't one I just find zephyr boring, plus her abilities are pretty bland. She's a great frame don't get me wrong but I don't think I'll be touching her anytime soon. Her abilities are clunky, she's very gimmicky and inconsistent. She's everything that irked me from old Titania. Although that doesn't really have anything to do with this overhaul. This is aimed to make her at least feel more interesting. 

zephyr overhaul

passive-zephyr has a unique movement set when space bar is tapped she dashes upwards but holding spacebar will continuously propelled her upwards. Dodge rolling is replaced with a short ranged turbulent dash which is a quicker but shorter dodge roll without the rolling part. Additionally the unique dodge roll can be performed while firing your weapon.

1)Gale Winds-Send out a tornado that will slowly move away from you, dragging in all enemies within its range. The tornado's size can be bigger if casted at a greater height and power range only affects the tornados vacuum size which is also increased from what height you casted it in. The tornado last a min of 5s and can be redirected by tapping again. Enemies caught inside share damage.

2)Turbulence-Condense the air around you deflecting all projectiles and knocking back enemies who melee you. You also fall down slower and can float when aim gliding. While active you also speed up the animations of your parkour movements and can repeatedly use the unique jump and dodge roll while also allowing you to hold the dodge roll to repeatedly propelled yourself forward if in the air. Additionally tapping the ability dispurses the condense air knocking back all enemies within 15m or if you're in the air and melee slam you will dive down and do that but with the additional effect of dealing damage scaling with your melee mods however consuming the ability.

3)Condensed Breeze-Activate to empower your next ability cast and remove its energy cost for that 1 cast. For gale winds it allows you to create 3 more tornados consecutively. For turbulence it increases duration and make allies recieve it as well. If you press this ability again you empower your next shot, making it hitscan and send out an aoe burst upon impact. This impact deals 100% of your weapon as impact damage. On eye of the storm it makes the storm spawn a mini tornado every now and then that last 5s while also dealing 30% more damage.

4)Eye of the storm-Create a stationary storm that will slowly form around you that will create a thick wall of thundering clouds. If enemies are caught within its radius while it forms they will be thrown around by its current. The storm inables any enemies from passing through and throwing all projectiles off coarse. Enemies near the storm will be stricken with lightning that deals 500-1000*(Power Strength%) Electricity damage p/sec. Additionally If Gale Winds is casted within the air of the storm or touches the eye of the storm, it can pick it up and move the storm around. 

Augments:

Charging eye

-If allies are within the center of the eye of the storm, they will be charged with electricity, Slowly gaining overshields and granting them 100% electricity procs on their weapons and abilities.

Protective Turbulence

-Turbulence when casted now also gives its effects to allies while also allowing your allies to move faster and gain slower fall speed.

Pilfering Gale

-Enemies killed within a tornado drop more loot, energy & health orbs and resources.

Edited by weeaboopotato
Adding new stuff
  • Like 2

I'm fine with this but I think Zephyr's problems are a bit deeper than just abilities. Her role is not quite right. Her crowd control is random and detrimental to the way warframe works (like Khora's piniata dome), because the cc'd enemies are being bounced around there's no practical way to get headshots or even hit them with anything that's not Area of Effect oriented. So should she be considered a CC warframe? How about the role of Tank, Turbulence is a strong ability and you gain speed and potentially projectile speed with an augment...However, her other abilities don't really do anything to support a tank role. So DPS then? All the abilities have damage potential but as is the CC element and randomness of the abilities prevents practical damage dealing and the damage is outright too little. If DE does give her a real rework, they need to pick a role for her, scale her to content, give her abilities some synergy (like Khora's ability 1 clearing the piniatas) and build in more group synergy. It's a big project to really make her better. 

Zephyr's main problem, from what I see, is her general concept of being a "Flying" frame. Due to a good chunk of Warframe having strict height limits (and the places that don't have Archwing), she's not as viable as she could be. Not to mention that Bullet Jumps all but invalidate her poor ability 1 in most situations. 

My recommendation would be to have her abilities focus more on CC, and keep the whole "flying" thing, but move it to her passive. I'm thinking: rework it so that Zephyr can use consecutive mid-air bullet jumps at a small energy cost (also modifying her bullet jump animation). Her abilities would be focused primarily on displacing foes, with the option to gather them in one spot. 

On 2020-05-01 at 8:57 PM, (PS4)LoneWolf_001 said:

I'm fine with this but I think Zephyr's problems are a bit deeper than just abilities. Her role is not quite right. Her crowd control is random and detrimental to the way warframe works (like Khora's piniata dome), because the cc'd enemies are being bounced around there's no practical way to get headshots or even hit them with anything that's not Area of Effect oriented. So should she be considered a CC warframe? How about the role of Tank, Turbulence is a strong ability and you gain speed and potentially projectile speed with an augment...However, her other abilities don't really do anything to support a tank role. So DPS then? All the abilities have damage potential but as is the CC element and randomness of the abilities prevents practical damage dealing and the damage is outright too little. If DE does give her a real rework, they need to pick a role for her, scale her to content, give her abilities some synergy (like Khora's ability 1 clearing the piniatas) and build in more group synergy. It's a big project to really make her better. 

well I did give her synergy to her 2 and passive, 1 and 4 (3 is just a filler but originally had a synergy but I thought itd be OP)

23 hours ago, GladiatorDragon said:

My recommendation would be to have her abilities focus more on CC, and keep the whole "flying" thing, but move it to her passive. I'm thinking: rework it so that Zephyr can use consecutive mid-air bullet jumps at a small energy cost (also modifying her bullet jump animation). Her abilities would be focused primarily on displacing foes, with the option to gather them in one spot. 

That's exactly what I was doing with this rework did you not read the concept or was my wording that bad?

Edited by weeaboopotato
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, weeaboopotato said:

That's exactly what I was doing with this rework did you not read the concept or was my wording that bad?

No, I think everyone can understand where you're coming from. Your ideas are not bad and the wording is fairly on point. I think it's just that Zephyr is so lackluster, role-awkward, and generally unappealing that it feels like she needs more help than your suggestion seems to offer. It's also hard to visualize what kind of impact she'd really have on the group or on the targets of her abilities after we min-max the heck out of her Mods.

My point is this, keep adding to this, update your idea, and eventually (as the community already knows Zephyr needs a rework) you'll have a highly detailed, exciting, strong case for a rework to this warframe. I look forward to seeing it develop more and I look forward to supporting it as it devleops, whether that's with constructive criticizm or praise.

the problem is that frames who use abilities solely for themselves don't work well. You may not know but when zephyr came out she was one of the must have frames for defense missions aside from frost and rhino.

the change that needs to be made to zephyr and other frames is to have more abilities that affect the environment. Her turbulence, instead of being a self buff could be an ability that affects a certain range and projectiles entering the turbulence zone have a chance to be deflected and enemies inside have a higher chance to be finished.

4 hours ago, Fyirnen said:

the problem is that frames who use abilities solely for themselves don't work well. You may not know but when zephyr came out she was one of the must have frames for defense missions aside from frost and rhino.

the change that needs to be made to zephyr and other frames is to have more abilities that affect the environment. Her turbulence, instead of being a self buff could be an ability that affects a certain range and projectiles entering the turbulence zone have a chance to be deflected and enemies inside have a higher chance to be finished.

I did originally think of her 1 to be her tornado that grows bigger the higher she was and her 4 to be exactly what you said but then I remembered she needed synergy in her kit but I'll see what I can do.

Please just leave Zephyr alone and instead imagine a different frame. I love zephyr as she is. I wish air burst had scaling damage and faster cast speed. But that's all. If you find her boring. Try a different warframe instead of trying to alter her. Shes not flashy not explosive not spam 4 to win. She does what she does and i feel de did a great job on her rework. 

DE please don't touch her. 

Most players play warframe expecting everything to 1 shot the map with their powers. If they don't. THEIR BORING is all people say. Then there's a rush to alienate that frames actual fans to please just kill frame fans. 

If you dont like her try someone else. Theres like 45 other warframes to choose. Each are different. 

12 hours ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

Please just leave Zephyr alone and instead imagine a different frame. I love zephyr as she is. I wish air burst had scaling damage and faster cast speed. But that's all. If you find her boring. Try a different warframe instead of trying to alter her. Shes not flashy not explosive not spam 4 to win. She does what she does and i feel de did a great job on her rework. 

Most players play warframe expecting everything to 1 shot the map with their powers. If they don't. THEIR BORING is all people say. Then there's a rush to alienate that frames actual fans to please just kill frame fans. 

If you dont like her try someone else. Theres like 45 other warframes to choose. Each are different. 

so what you're saying is to leave her in a state of complete irrelevancy only allowing her to fill in a certain niche. 

19 hours ago, (PS4)Tomplexthis said:

I imagine there are people saying the same about Nyx, or those who said that about Vauban and Wukong before their reworks. The problem is with some of the more antiquated frames like this is that there are other options that offer what Zephyr can, just better. Frankly, her very idea of being a "flying warframe" isn't that good, because many of Warframe's locations have low ceilings/skyboxes, and the places with the highest skyboxes (Orb Vallis and Plains of Eidolon) invalidate her due to open access to Archwings.

You can have your opinion, and I'll have mine. Mine is that if any Warframe is completely irrelevant, it should be changed to bring it back into relevancy. This includes the likes of pre-rework Vauban, Nyx, and even Zephyr.

On 2020-04-27 at 11:54 AM, weeaboopotato said:

passive-zephyr has a unique movement set when space bar is tapped she dashes upwards but holding spacebar will continuously propelled her upwards. Dodge rolling is replaced with a short ranged turbulent dash which is a quicker but shorter dodge roll without the rolling part. Additionally the unique dodge roll can be performed while firing your weapon.

Unique, smooth, fun, easy to use passive

Ill say you nailed this idea

1)Gale Winds-Send out a tornado that will slowly move away from you, dragging in all enemies within its range. The tornado's size can be bigger if casted at a greater height and power range only affects the tornados vacuum size which is also increased from what height you casted it in. The tornado last a min of 5s and can be redirected by tapping again. Enemies caught inside share damage.

Also sounds pretty cool, but id need to be able to spawn atleast 3 of these guys cause one isnt enough unless it can get massive width wise.

)Turbulence-Condense the air around you deflecting all projectiles and knocking back enemies who melee you. You also fall down slower and can float when aim gliding. While active you also speed up the animations of your parkour movements and can repeatedly use the unique jump and dodge roll while also allowing you to hold the dodge roll to repeatedly propelled yourself forward if in the air. Additionally tapping the ability dispurses the condense air knocking back all enemies within 15m or if you're in the air and aim down you will dive down and do that but with the additional effect of dealing damage scaling with your melee mods.

I feel like this is doing too much. 

Id remove the dive ability, thought it sounds nice i think youre better off just adding the idea to the passive in form of a melee slam attack.

3)Oxygen Vacuum-toggle on to suck in the oxygen around you depraving enemies of it and filtering it for allies healing 50 health p/s the AoE gradually growing for aslong as its active. Enemies will be too busy coughing and looking for any source of air for aslong as its active. While also dealing 1% of their missing health p/s.

How interesting! She becomes like a life support capsule huh?

Well done! Idk how DE will feel about the health thing unless there is some sort of cap in the damage it deals 🤔 im all for abilities that are gaurnteed to always be useful damage wise by using your method but DE idk

4)Eye of the storm-Create a stationary storm that will slowly form around you that will create a thick wall of thundering clouds. If enemies are caught within its radius while it forms they will be thrown around by its current. The storm inables any enemies from passing through and throwing all projectiles off coarse. Enemies near the storm will be stricken with lightning that deals 500-1000*(Power Strength%) Electricity damage p/sec. Additionally If Gale Winds is casted within the air of the storm or touches the eye of the storm, it can pick it up and move the storm around.

Excellent! Sounds like fun! Might i suggest adding elements to her 4th simular to how here old 4th ability worked?

Say it worked something like this: Instead of electricity bolts, if there is at least 5 or more enemies affect by a primary elemental proc, lets say cold, near the birth of the storm then it will form a blizzard. Intense winds, 250-500 damage, adds cold damage to players weapons within the storm, and slows enemies.

It may be doing a lot but idk, i need a blizzard warframe in my life lol

Zephyr before was a 7/10 to me, this would take her to 8.5/10. Its good however im not feeling the third ability much. It doesnt seem like it helps to make zephyr feel like a violent breeze of wind. The other abilities are great but the vacuum  id rather have changed to something that displaces enemies further. Rather that be by making the enemies float or pushing the enemies to a location like a conveyer belt lol

3 hours ago, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:

3 hours ago, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:
On 2020-04-27 at 11:54 PM, weeaboopotato said:

3)Oxygen Vacuum-toggle on to suck in the oxygen around you depraving enemies of it and filtering it for allies healing 50 health p/s the AoE gradually growing for aslong as its active. Enemies will be too busy coughing and looking for any source of air for aslong as its active. While also dealing 1% of their missing health p/s.

How interesting! She becomes like a life support capsule huh?

Well done! Idk how DE will feel about the health thing unless there is some sort of cap in the damage it deals 🤔 im all for abilities that are gaurnteed to always be useful damage wise by using your method but DE idk

changed thelockquote widgetblockquote widget

Edited by weeaboopotato