Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now with shield gating = use less armor?

hungryghost84

Question

2 answers to this question

Its about achieving the right balance for you.

Some warframes just dont have the room for all 3.  Usually those Warframes take strength for ability damage/buffs.  You always need HP and taking umbra vitality will buff Umbra intensify.

Then you have 6 slots to play which are usually duration/eff/range + any augments or adaptaton or energy regen methods.

Warframes with low starting armor probably arent going to benefit from wasting a slot on their armor.  In some cases it IS worth it because the more umbra you put on the more those mods buff you.   So you get more HP and more Strength if you use the armor one also.  

My Ember/Wisp use all 3.  My mag only uses HP/str..   I havent used my Nekro in forever but he would be a great candidate to test does shield gating make armor less important.  You could remove Health Conversion ?? I would totally replace with adaptation lol because he has sooo much shields and health (I've tried to give him umbra mods but it just didnt work before).  All my tanks would run all 3 umbra just to boost HP/Str.

-------------------------------------------

Shield gating definately helps weaker frames.  More armor will still help protect you from status damage.  Shield gating wont lol.  

----------------------------------------

If you wanna ask about specific frames???????? Give us a list.  But like I said at the beginning its all about how YOU enjoy playing your warframe, and the balance you want to achieve.   Like wisp.. you can go for range/effeciency or str/dur  do you focus on motes or do you focus on sol's gate?  Thats going to maybe change how you want your loadout to behave.  

Edited by (PS4)AbBaNdOn_

Shield gating brought a new meta. On many builds you can drop health and armor mods, replacing them with Rolling Guard and Brief Respite/Augur Set mods. As soon as your shields go down you roll to proc Rolling Guard. If you are using Augur Set mods or Brief Respite you cast any ability to reset your shield gate. 

I've found it works especially well on frames that have a spammable cc ability, like Ember, Wisp and Mag. Ember's Fire Blast knocks down all enemies around you, Wisp's Breach Surge blinds, and Mag's Polarize disarms when using Counter Pulse augment. Roll and cast these cc abilities in the 3 seconds you are invulnerable. This gives you a chance to deal with the intimidate threat while you take no damage or gtfo of harms way. 

I find it to be a more enjoyable play style. I pay more attention and am always on the move. Before I would stack armor and health while using Healing Return, just face tank everything until I eventually got one shot. Now I can die to low lvl enemies if i'm not paying attention, but I can also stay in mission much longer if I pay attention and don't make mistakes. 

It's a high risk high rewards approach. Shield gating allows more build diversity since you can drop mods.that were previously mandatory.