Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe: Depowered (Medieval Frame) [6/26: Warframe: The Iron Age Sneak Peek! Ember, The Pyromancer]

Calayne

I think this intro re-write is long overdue. This is a thread dedicated to the conceptualization of the Tenno without their power suits: Mysterious beings clad in armour and wielding archaic weapons, in an age where the wonders of technology has barely been birthed, mewling, from the wombs of a monstrous machination that has dominated the world: The Grin'ea Empire. (Ten'ou, dubbed by Frostwolf, and Grin'ea dubbed by iamablocker!)

I plan to do concept arts for all the Warframes, except maybe one or two, depending on the amount, with the ultimate goal of eventually writing a comic, both for the Medieval Frame as well as for the Warframe we know and love. That'll probably take a while, though. I'm lazy and preoccupied with school, so I can't promise updates. However, I know the direction for the comics I wish to write, and have scribbled many, many notes on it during my spare time.

Can't show any of those, though. It's a surprise. *Wink!*

So, here are the ones I've drawn so far, with apologies for the poor scan quality; Truthfully, they weren't scanned at all, and were taken with my phone's camera:

(Edit: 23rd June 2015): Ember, The Pyromancer, and Excal Radial Blind WIP

Sketch265191638.jpg

A preview of the first page of the Warframe: The Iron Age comics. My train ride to work is basically an hour and a half long, and there's about 45 minutes of time where I get a seat. So I'm thinking of using that time to draw the pages that will tell the story, bit by bit. There's no fixed schedule for the work, of course, but they'll be done generally in this style: Black and white, with colours to highlight blood, or light. I'm pretty bad with colours, but pretty good at contrast, so I'm maximizing my skill set to the fullest. 

Occasionally, I might try coloured works, for particularly dramatic episodes. Don't count on them coming out often, or quickly, though. As you know, colouring isn't my strong point. ^^

Sketch17610172.jpg
Sketch232202534.jpg

(Edit: 16th January 2015):Mag, The Swiss Sniper and Rhino, the Iron Skin

Original post with more detailed shots:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-116-mag-the-swiss-sniper-and-rhino-the-iron-skin/?p=4258463

Mag:

Sketch106165846.png

Rhino:

Sketch14315751.png

(Edit: 11th July):Excalibur, The Lord of Blades, WIP:

Sketch104235749.jpg

(Edit: 10th May):Trinity, the Warrior Cleric:

Full post:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-105-trinity-warrior-cleric-concept-art/?p=2660477

Concept art:
NewDoc22_1.jpg

(Edit: 5th February): Volt, the Duelist:

NewDoc13_1.jpg
Full post: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-1411-nyx-the-night-mother/?p=1975881

20140127_004858.jpg

Nyx:
NewDoc12_1.jpg

Frost:
NewDoc11_1.jpg

Nyx roughs:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-2810-frost-the-crusader-concept/?p=1492328

(Edit: 28/10): Crusader Frost!
Will be on temporary hiatus, pending exams. Link to concept art:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-2610-update-ash-the-shinobi/?p=1480642

20131028_205837-1.jpg
(Edit: 26/10): Added the Ash concept art here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-2310-update-excal-v2-ash-concept/?p=1441383

And here's the final design! I'll be putting the latest updates up here from now on. After that, it'll be a link to a post somewhere within the topic.

Here's the link for Ash: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-2610-update-ash-the-shinobi/?p=1461890

FbA0VVe2YFgJ7N8L3Y3BYRQH.jpg

I decided to have Ash wear an Oni gauntlet over his right fore-arm, when I couldn't decide before if I wanted it to be symmetric or not. Screw symmetry, I say! He's the only one so far who gets graced with some manner of background and a line or two. Blade storm and Smoke Screen just got to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the old thread:

C5L1PBRPUWD9J1Ea0EbFeKTW.jpg

Starting with: Medieval style Warframes, the first of which is Excalibur. I've got an idea of what I want Loki, Ash and Rhino to look like, so if time permits, I'll be doing those. This is more of a character design exploration, though, and I'd like to try a more traditional armor design, if I can find a good one, before I continue into more detailed pieces using the designs.

YU3fd7bbLrLKQLaNKY3NPrWD.jpg

The other is a project for groups of Warframes, though this one isn't half done yet: Mag and Loki haven't been fleshed out, and the mountain of corpses, debris of Grineer warships in the background, and atmosphere isn't filled in.

Unfortunately, I use traditional media, and I neither have a good camera nor a good scanner, so I had to use the pretty pathetic Android CamScanner. I'll update both pictures and add more, when I do flesh them out or make additions!

Edit (Some time back): I completed Loki's sketch. I'll add his concept art in another post, below, so this post doesn't take up all the space. Close-up and accessories: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-22oct-update-excal-v2/?p=1405559

J15TCDYJayW6BHAgAdXX9d4M.jpg

Edit(22/Oct): I swear, this is the last rework for Excalibur. Scout's honor. Ash is next. Will post concept sketches before the final one, because it may take a while for me to finish the portrait. Detail of face and concept for accessories: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-22oct-update-excal-v2/?p=1438132

01Jy3AYPPJXdKYFhPeLdVaLP.jpg

Edit (24/10): Digital Excalibur, work in progress: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119616-warframe-depowered-medieval-frame-2310-update-excal-v2-ash-concept/?p=1447351

Will definitely take it off when I finish it up. The idea is to get one black and white, shaded, and maybe a coloured version of this. The concept sketches take priority, though, so this may take a while to finish also.

Edited by Calayne

Thanks! To be honest, it's a drawback in some sense because unlike digital media, you lose whatever resolution you have when it's digitized. I've seen Yuikami's work, and Panzer's work, and they're wonderfully detailed. Here, it's kinda all lost.

For both, they're kinda at 40-50%ish, with Medieval Warframe being more on a costume design phase before I do any art with scenes. The group ones are somewhat harder, but I love Warframe and all their crazy moments, so this is just one out of many I hope to do: Got a couple other ideas in mind.

I always thought it was strange no one's ever done Medieval Warframe, or at least, not to my knowledge. It always struck me as a super cool concept, and Warframe just SCREAMS medieval armor.

The funny thing is: I actually wanted to do a comic first. I almost got started, but I did this, and I just realised... Their armor design is f*!&@#(ing complicated! Think I would have sh*t my pants (like I saw a Roller Army) just drawing Excalibur pane by pane.

Edited by Calayne

Haha, thanks. Speaking of which, what four Warframes make the most dramatic team?

Nekros + trinity + Ember + Saryn .

Saryn Miasmas a buncha stuff.

Nekros bring them back to life.

Trinity heals them back into the world of the living permanently.

Ember sets them on fire and laughs.

make it happen you damn wizard.

Well, THAT'S gonna take a while! Sounds pretty good, though! The other team I had in mind was: Frost, Ash, Banshee and Nyx. 

So far, these two teams were from the idea I had for a comic, quite a few months back. It's safe to say back then, Nekros wasn't out yet :X 

But, anyways, I'll be doing the Medieval Warframe designs for characters, four by four, before each scene, if I can figure out a design for them. Good things (teams) come in fours.

Just thought I'd share two ongoing art projects I have for myself, in the warframe universe:

C5L1PBRPUWD9J1Ea0EbFeKTW.jpg

Starting with: Medieval style Warframes, the first of which is Excalibur. I've got an idea of what I want Loki, Ash and Rhino to look like, so if time permits, I'll be doing those. This is more of a character design exploration, though, and I'd like to try a more traditional armor design, if I can find a good one, before I continue into  more detailed pieces using the designs.

YU3fd7bbLrLKQLaNKY3NPrWD.jpg

The other is a project for groups of Warframes, though this one isn't half done yet: Mag and Loki haven't been fleshed out, and the mountain of corpses, debris of Grineer warships in the background, and atmosphere isn't filled in.

Unfortunately, I use traditional media, and I neither have a good camera nor a good scanner, so I had to use the pretty pathetic Android CamScanner. I'll update both pictures and add more, when I do flesh them out or make additions!

A High fantasy version of Warframe....

I'm like seeing a Kingdoms of Amalur espe battle system

Excalibur with a long Sword, Rhino with the Hammer/Great Axe

Mag with the Chakrams and Loki with the Daggers

High fantasy is totally the right word for it. I played Kingdoms of Amalur, and I sorta see where this is going. It's pretty darn cool! ^^

I've always seen Mag as more of a balanced fighter in terms of range: Chakrams and long sword, for high flexibility and efficiency at all ranges. Kinda like her powers, unlike Loki, which I definitely see as a dagger person. Maybe a bow, too, considering he's stealth.

Ash is a hands-down ninja build, kunais and katanas. Volt is a rapier. Frost is great sword user, I think. And I can't wait to do Nekros.

LoLz, never thought about it! But now that you mention it... I'm thinking orcs, and zombies, too, maybe. Bugbears and Mindflayers were some of my favorite stuff to draw.

The_Final_Stand__by_swiyth.jpg

DnD__Bugbear_Dungeon_by_swiyth.jpg

Done back in the day, many years back. Wanted to do something similar with Warframe and Medieval Warframe. MedFrame? SwordFrame? LordFrame? Man, there's gotta be an easier name for this.

A little lore blurb attempt XD

_____

The year is 679 AE,  Four hundred years of useless prays, soon three hundred more of  unwinnable war. What is left of those that still cling to their fleeting hope now face the end of the long twilight struggle.

The dark spawn and their bestial hordes have slowly advanced through what territory remains. Even now they lay siege to the Outer Protectorate of Haelm.

With most of its forces having been called to fight elsewhere, Haelm was left with only a few seasoned warriors and mostly fresh recruits to stave off what was deemed the largest invasion force yet. Within just two hours the main gate fell.

Death filled the streets as the  unstoppable tide would surely consume Haelem... and with Haelem's fall the second circle of Origin would follow.

No eyes dared look for hope, No voice dared utter a pray.... Doom was assured.

And yet a Voice did ring out... A Woman's voice

"Come forth from thine slumber,

Come forth and strike down those that threaten this land,

By thy Emperor's last command

Fullfill thine Code and Sworn Oath

Save my people from these dark times."

A bright light enveloped Haelm...

and once more, The Heaven's Sword descended upon the battlefield... The Ten'ou had returned.

_____

@FrostWolf: Wowz. That sounds pretty epic. I've always wanted to see a Tenno war, and now thinking about it, I wonder what a FantasyFrame's full-blown war would look like!

And thanks, everyone! Other works may not be as fast, though. There's less school work for this week and the last, and it may be harder to pick up the pace later on. As for the colour, I think that may be a liiiittle hard to do, being that I'm not good at it, and I haven't the slightest clue what media to use: Digital and traditional both have their merits, though one has to admit that digital is kinder to the beginner in some sense.

That being said, though, I'd rather leave it uncoloured than ruin it with poor colouring. If anyone would like to attempt it, I wouldn't mind, though. Maybe I'll borrow someone's scanner for a higher resolution copy, before I replace the ones above with it.