The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

This post has my approval. I love the ninja movement as well as the exploration and it seems like both have been simplified or neglected so we wind up with catapulted speed runs through linear levels. I would love to explore larger more atmospheric areas and smoother, more capable movement would help immensely. It would also reduce some of the wonky movement issues with accidental leaps and wall runs.

Edited by Xedek

of course, if they can do it they definetely should. im just not sure if it´s possible.

the thing is that the creator of oveergrowth is basically a coding genius. he made his first game engine when he was a child. he made overgrowth engine after with all the wallruning and movement from the ground. i dont know if the evolution engine (warframe engine) can do the same, but i hope it can

ok hire that guy

Holy mother of RNGesus, I forgot about this topic.

Welp, time to throw in my two cents, again.

You're kidding, right? Warframe's gameplay is quite linear as it can get for a multiplayer game. Regarding the movement, I can traverse most tilesets without thinking at all. Grineer ship & asteroid, Corpus Ship and Orokind Void haven't been updated since when? Once I actually noticed that I've ingrained the tilesets so much that I actually start coptering in certain directs the moment a door to another room opens - it actually happened before I saw the full room, just a few clues were enough. The other zones have about 5-6 different rooms? I mean, Orokin Derelict and the new Infested Ships look quite atmospheric, but they also have a lot of ledges and corners where the traditional movement just seems to break down or looks really awkward (for example, grabbing an invisible ledge when vaulting up roots or infested sinews).

Furthermore, leaving Coptering aside, what are we doing manually? The stopping? Because if I don't copter, I often end up rolling over ledges and rails and stuff. The jumping? Only when the game doesn't decide that now a vault would be more appropriate. The wallrunning? Also decided on what the game deems appropriate, not me.

You see what I'm getting at? Right now, Warframes parkouring is half-backed. It has parts that are automated and parts that you have to do manually and both only kinda work awkwardly.

Either implement an option for full-manual movement (meaning that if I stop pressing my buttons or press a stop-button, my frame actually stops moving and doesn't do other acrobatics for 2-3 seconds, or that if I want to wallrun that I press the wallrun button and not have to hope that I actually go in the correct direction)

OR

give an option for full-automated movement (e.g. ninja run that just lets you zip straight through a tileset and that ends when you disengage from it).

Edith: Actually thinking about it, I think I'm wrong with how I differentiated between full-manual and full-automated. The ninja-run would be one button which would let me manually decide between "exploration"/"parkour"-movement. With a full-manual input, it would probably come down to the same, because really, how many buttons can use actually use when moving? Sprint & Jump & Crouch and WASD are already enough as is, so the new functions would have to be coded into these control inputs, which would mean it's automated, right?

Or not, but what I'm trying to get at is that even though you might think that a ninja-run feature would actually take away control from parkouring would actually mean that it'd add more control to it, because you can finally decide if you want to parkour or not.

This guy get's it, sort of.

Warframe seems like it isn't linear, but it is. It's comparable to Metroid fusion.

You have this giant map, but there is only one way to get to the objective.
After that you just follow another linear path to extraction.
In defense missions you just stay still.

Survival is really the only non-linear missions type in WF. So yeah.

As for actual parkour, there aren't a lot of spaces where wallrunning is better than just coptering.

We already do a lot of things manually, let's keep this way. It might even become more unpredictable, especially because warframe gameplay is not so linear.

I'm not sure how you can get any more unpredictable than our current system, but okay. I agree that it would be a shame if it was a strictly automatic system like in rising.
Parkour is one of the core mechanics in WF, in rising it isn't, so we should keep our parkour tasteful, yes?

i'll give you that MGR: Revengeance has some animation types that Warframe could use to make the gameplay more fluid.

This was sort of the main point of that post, sorry if I forgot to mention.
*Cheking*
Huh, I did forget to mention that. Oh well. Won't happen again.

Also, what are "animation types"? I think it's more accurate to call it animation speed, or maybe even just different animations. 

but, it has no Parkour. none at all. it looks like it, but it's prebaked contextuals. you can't do 'parkour' unless the map has triggerzones and Et Cetera setup for it.

There are sections in rising that are prebaked contextuals, but the actual ninja run isn't.
You can cancel out of most ninja run animations, so it isn't as bad as you might think.

parkour

/pɑːˈkʊə/

noun

the activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing.

This is literally what the ninja run lets you do. How is it not parkour?

I just found out this topic. I completely agree. At first when i started playing the game i thought it was cool to have wallruns and parkours moves, but then i realized that it was very impractical and quite useless. Parkour needs a good overhaul.

Seeing the size of this thread i'm still wondering why DE hasn't alread done this before the Kubrows

Because in order to get it right, the entire game needs to be touched. Not just how acrobatics in the engine works. Entire levels would need to be readjusted to cope with the changes. Controls are likely to be adjusted as well, some new moves might even crop up.

Just changing a few selected things is not going to do anything good in the long run. They might go for parkour 1.5, but it would only be a band-aid fix. Parkour 2.0 is basically touching all things, and that definitely takes time and involves a lot of people.

Seeing the size of this thread i'm still wondering why DE hasn't alread done this before the Kubrows

I wonder why DE hasn't even replied to this thread yet.

I know they acknowledge it's existence, but still no reply? Perhaps I missed their reply in the last 17 pages, but still.

Edited by Lukap99

That really isn't the same thing.  A lot of use don't/can't watch the dev streams.

They read and replied, thats what matters, devstreams are meant for answering community topics.

And a post buried in a huge thread would be seen by less people than a stream.

I dont remember what streams, one was prior to melee 2.0, (maybe devstream22) you can check playwarframe youtube. Maybe some one can name the exact stream date.

Edited by Monolake

Hopefully what's covered here will be considered when they get to "polishing" the parkour system(as they said they'd do rather than a total overhaul a few streams ago) because the only problems I've got with it is it makes no sense and it's a bit too sticky to be a fluid addition to combat

Also, what are "animation types"? I think it's more accurate to call it animation speed, or maybe even just different animations. 

There are sections in rising that are prebaked contextuals, but the actual ninja run isn't.

You can cancel out of most ninja run animations, so it isn't as bad as you might think.

This is literally what the ninja run lets you do. How is it not parkour?

- eh, everything has types. a Walking Animation is a different Type of Animation from say, a Melee Animation. since far too many of the Melee Animations are locked and we're forced to complete them, even if it's a dozen swings before we're allowed control of ourselves again. and even if we end up dying in the process >.>

- 'ninja run' in other words translated into English, sounds a lot like Assassin's Creed 'Parkour'. which entails holding down a button, and your Character does it all automatically for you.

but doesn't do it well ofcourse, because it's an automated system. so it chooses the wrong things all the time. run by too close to a hiding spot, and you'll automatically jump into it, even if you wanted to just keep running. trying to run past some objects, and you might just randomly start climbing them and the nearest wall, instead of just running. trying to jump from A to B, you could very well jump somewhere completely different because the game decided you were trying to go somewhere else.

wooo, so fun. i feel like a true badass, holding down this button and watching a really bad interactive movie.

- it's not Parkour if the above is true. which i'd imagine it is. holding a 'special' button, and then you bounce across the landscape automatically. it's not Parkour because it's basically a cutscene. so it's a cutscene. if you're not doing it yourself, it's a cutscene. even if it isn't, that's what it ends up being.

- eh, everything has types. a Walking Animation is a different Type of Animation from say, a Melee Animation. since far too many of the Melee Animations are locked and we're forced to complete them, even if it's a dozen swings before we're allowed control of ourselves again. and even if we end up dying in the process >.>

- 'ninja run' in other words translated into English, sounds a lot like Assassin's Creed 'Parkour'. which entails holding down a button, and your Character does it all automatically for you.

but doesn't do it well ofcourse, because it's an automated system. so it chooses the wrong things all the time. run by too close to a hiding spot, and you'll automatically jump into it, even if you wanted to just keep running. trying to run past some objects, and you might just randomly start climbing them and the nearest wall, instead of just running. trying to jump from A to B, you could very well jump somewhere completely different because the game decided you were trying to go somewhere else.

wooo, so fun. i feel like a true badass, holding down this button and watching a really bad interactive movie.

- it's not Parkour if the above is true. which i'd imagine it is. holding a 'special' button, and then you bounce across the landscape automatically. it's not Parkour because it's basically a cutscene. so it's a cutscene. if you're not doing it yourself, it's a cutscene. even if it isn't, that's what it ends up being.

assassin's creed parkour was actually really awesome. But that and metal gear are entirely different from warframe. They have completely different mechanics from warframe, and most importantly different level design. All levels in warframe are designed with currrent parkour in mind, which is nothing but few player controlled vaults and wallruns. And they are controlled really S#&$ty and I think my suggestions would come very nicely into the current levels. I mean coptering and wall catapulting are already breaking their intended paths but they don't care.

assassin's creed parkour was actually really awesome.

doesn't feel awesome. it's slow to respond and is completely automatic. even scaling a wall basically sums up to holding forwards while spamming left and right a bunch to make sure you're constantly going up.

'Parkour' in Assassin's Creed is extremely bland. it's not impressive at all. far from it. it's a really cheap way out and it shows.

sure, you can climb a wall in very specific places in one or sometimes two ways, and you can run across rooftops the same way you did it the past 100 times, but i... wait a second, those aren't good things. that's super meh.

Guest Tehnoobshow

doesn't feel awesome. it's slow to respond and is completely automatic. even scaling a wall basically sums up to holding forwards while spamming left and right a bunch to make sure you're constantly going up.

'Parkour' in Assassin's Creed is extremely bland. it's not impressive at all. far from it. it's a really cheap way out and it shows.

sure, you can climb a wall in very specific places in one or sometimes two ways, and you can run across rooftops the same way you did it the past 100 times, but i... wait a second, those aren't good things. that's super meh.

Yeah, Prince of Persia's parkour was so much better. It's kind of strange how the same company failed at making parkour after they had already done a good job on it. Assassin's Creed's parkour feels completely scripted and uninteractive. It's like I'm watching a video.

Assassin's Creed's parkour feels completely scripted and uninteractive. It's like I'm watching a video.

AS: Unity supposedly has a 'completely rebuilt new parkour system'. i wish it was true, but it's Ubisoft. i don't trust a single word they say. ever.

Guest Tehnoobshow

AS: Unity supposedly has a 'completely rebuilt new parkour system'. i wish it was true, but it's Ubisoft. i don't trust a single word they say. ever.

It's not "completely rebuilt". They just added an option to parkour up or parkour down, so you don't accidentally climb up a wall when you actually want to go down(which happened very often in the game). But we're getting off-topic anyway.

I mean awesome because how smooth it was and how good it looked. Awesome when you compare how extremely disappointing and pathetic tenno look in warframe constantly coptering, every @(*()$ second, every @(*()$ mission, always... And if you try to run that wall, you better pray you end up where you wanted.

But yes, warframe shouldn't follow that direction.

I mean awesome because how smooth it was and how good it looked.

Awesome when you compare how extremely disappointing and pathetic tenno look in warframe constantly coptering, every @(*()$ second, every @(*()$ mission, always... And if you try to run that wall, you better pray you end up where you wanted.

- 'Parkour' in AC doesn't look smooth at all. the delay between actions is absolutely huge. it's like your Character has a mental lapse every few seconds and forgets what planet he's on and needs to remember that he's trying to scale a wall or something. he just sits there for a few seconds and then launches himself to the next hand hold, and repeats sitting around for a few seconds doing nothing.

the 'bursting' of movement looks really awkward to me. nobody climbs like that.

(come to think of it, i've heard the original AC was a lot less sh*t, maybe i'll play it someday)

- well, don't compare to those that only use SpinDashes for starters. those people may be left to their own demons. 

but i feel Parkour in Warframe can be fairly smooth, using a mixture of Walljumps, Wallruns, Flipjumps, and SpinDashes. though it doesn't work quite as well as it used to, Walljumps give us so much less maximum possible velocity now.

which is a shame, that velocity was generally needed to get your Character to actually grab on to the wall you're flying to instead of falling off of it. i shouldn't need to fly at a wall at 22 m/s in order for the game to actually recognize i hit a wall and should start Wallrunning before i fall off it.

but for the most part i feel that it's fairly smooth nowadays. not that the game has changed at all, i've just memorized what i need to do to make it work and flow, rather than what makes sense to make it flow.

- 'Parkour' in AC doesn't look smooth at all. the delay between actions is absolutely huge. it's like your Character has a mental lapse every few seconds and forgets what planet he's on and needs to remember that he's trying to scale a wall or something. he just sits there for a few seconds and then launches himself to the next hand hold, and repeats sitting around for a few seconds doing nothing.

the 'bursting' of movement looks really awkward to me. nobody climbs like that.

(come to think of it, i've heard the original AC was a lot less sh*t, maybe i'll play it someday)

- well, don't compare to those that only use SpinDashes for starters. those people may be left to their own demons. 

but i feel Parkour in Warframe can be fairly smooth, using a mixture of Walljumps, Wallruns, Flipjumps, and SpinDashes. though it doesn't work quite as well as it used to, Walljumps give us so much less maximum possible velocity now.

which is a shame, that velocity was generally needed to get your Character to actually grab on to the wall you're flying to instead of falling off of it. i shouldn't need to fly at a wall at 22 m/s in order for the game to actually recognize i hit a wall and should start Wallrunning before i fall off it.

but for the most part i feel that it's fairly smooth nowadays. not that the game has changed at all, i've just memorized what i need to do to make it work and flow, rather than what makes sense to make it flow.

dude no. Just no. I will never tolerate this whole coptering nonsense as "smooth" parkour in space ninja game.

dude no. Just no. I will never tolerate this whole coptering nonsense as "smooth" parkour in space ninja game.

well, i use it as a connector for long distances between walls and such sometimes, but that's how i normally use it in Parkour. or if i'm feeling lazy i'll use it to cross a room instantly, but there's very little call for that.