Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Congratulations On Re-Breaking The Miter -.-

FrothingLoins

DE, do you know what the single worst feeling in the world for a gamer is? 

Stealth nerfs. They are the single most aggravating things a developer can do to their community and it instills a feeling that the left hand has no bloody clue what the right hand is doing. I simply cannot fathom why or how the Miter has been once again reduced to a useless hunk of scrap. 

What am I gibbering on about? Well for starters the blades no longer bounce upon impact with a solid surface. This was a point of frustration for the community when the Miter had a useless charge function / did not work with puncture mods. Now that the charge allows miter shots to pierce AND puncture mods WORK on it bounce functionality became an INTEGRAL part of the weapon's function. Beyond that bounce functionality was what made Miter + Bullet attractor work...And now it does not. During Bullet Attractor the blades just hover in place and deal NO DAMAGE / HIT NOTHING.

Some people might feel this is a fair balance change. It absolutely IS NOT. Sonar + High crit weapons works just fine.  Why can't Bullet Attractor + the Miter work? But GUESS WHAT GUYS?!?! This is just the ICING ON THE CAKE. The weapon also no longer deals Serrated Blade damage!

"Well, loins of frothiness...How do you know that?"  Simple. The weapon deals the same damage  to walking infested (The non-light ones) that it does to LIGHT infested.  A better example is that a charged shot on a HEAVY grineer deals 540 damage with my set up. A charged shot on a CHARGER deals 850. Last time I checked 850 damage IS NOT 300% OF 540!  This means that OBVIOUSLY MITER SHOTS ARE BEING AFFECTED BY ARMOR. AS SUCH IT IS NO LONGER SERRATED BLADE DAMAGE.

And were any of these changes notated in any hotfix update? Nope! So they are either a whole metric S-ton of bugs or a direct, knowing NERF to a weapon that ALREADY SEES VERY LITTLE USE.

Edit:

Brothers in carnage, Raise those voices (DONGERS!) high and make an uproar about this

Not a happy kitten right now DE.

Edited by FrothingLoins

I assume that this is a glitch, and not something intentional. The Glaive's bounce mechanics have been misbehaving as of late as well; the flight distance resets itself every time it hits a solid surface, so it can fly on endlessly as long as it has bounces remaining.

If this was intentional, though, then wow, DE. Kicking it while it's down.

I'm thinking that it's physically impossible for a blade to puncture through and bounce off a wall at the same time, have you tried removing shred or what ever puncture mod you have equipped to see if the bounce starts working again? If it does then the bullet attractor combo should also work again as it relies on the bounce.

About the damage for all I know you might be right, but you also might have head-shotted a grineer doubling the damage, if that's the case then you are doing 270 damage against grineer which is roughly a third of 850 on the charger.

Any of this may also be a bug or unintended change, that's usually the case when people cry stealth nerf, so calm down a bit.

Edited by CubedOobleck

Every time when DE unintentionally breaks smth with new hotfix, there always be some people crying about "stealth nerf omfgz0rz". They're very funny to look at, especially when DE fixes this issue in the very next hotfix. Then said people just disappear with silent "poof", not bothering to edit their threads full of QQ and accusations.

And of course it happens every damn time.

Also, OP, writing in capital letters makes you more significant for sure.

Edited by Khranitel

im still curious why people dont like this weapon

It's like a bow, but it charges slower, the projectiles are slower and the bounce is unreliable. The only advantage is the fact that it can cut through enemies to kill more than one, but bows can basically do that too with other mechanics (like pinned bodies).

But most of the hate comes from a sour comparison with the grineer's miter which is fully automatic and seems to work much better.

many factors that makes it overall not effective compared to most other content. 

needing to charge to do signifigant damage, uses the Sniper Ammo Pool, mediocre projectile speed, deals far, FAR less damage per ammo used than a Bow or Sniper rifle deals. 

the Miter is only truly effective against Light Infected. owait, those have insignifigant armor and very little health, so Miter would only shine against like, level 200+ Light Infested, without any Ancients. but that's impossible. 

it's not horrible, like, it works, but pick any weapon, and it probably does anything that Miter does, better.

that being said, it looks damn cool. i love those guiderails, i have them colored to look like copper rails :>

edit:

oh yeah, and also that the Eviscerators' Miters seem to be a lot cooler than ours, still. 

Edited by taiiat

-The charge + cooldown of the Miter is longer than the charge + redraw of the Bows.

-Wide-as-hell projectile, making shooting from around walls difficult without it hitting the corner and going haywire in the space behind you.

-Loud, and requires Hush to be used to be used as a stealth weapon.

-Slow-as-hell projectile, making it difficult to attack single targets at long range, let alone properly line up shots to hit multiple enemies at once. The auto-lock feature that projectile weapons have doesn't make lining up shots any easier when the first target is anywhere near you.

-Above all: Zero critical chance. Considering that Bows are only done justice because of their compatibility with Crit builds, this is a very harsh blow to the Miter. Armor 2.0 is allegedly going to have a critical-based Elemental Effect system, which is entirely incompatible with this weapon.

Edited by SortaRandom

The council got a sneak peak at armor 2.0. Elemental damage is not crit based, it's like a crit in that there's a % chance to proc.

Oh, so it's just LIKE a crit, but doesn't rely on actual crits?

If so, then that's really good to hear. XD

I'm thinking that it's physically impossible for a blade to puncture through and bounce off a wall at the same time, have you tried removing shred or what ever puncture mod you have equipped to see if the bounce starts working again? If it does then the bullet attractor combo should also work again as it relies on the bounce.

About the damage for all I know you might be right, but you also might have head-shotted a grineer doubling the damage, if that's the case then you are doing 270 damage against grineer which is roughly a third of 850 on the charger.

Any of this may also be a bug or unintended change, that's usually the case when people cry stealth nerf, so calm down a bit.

Oh, so it's impossible for a blade to bounce all around and still be deadly? Well, the Grineer Eviscerators from the Formian event and on Phobos never got that memo.

Actually, the blade USED to puncture and bounce JUST FINE. It was only in these latest patches that the miter blades stopped bouncing.  When an uncharged miter blade hits ANYTHING it falls to the floor limp as a biscuit. When a charged miter blade hits a wall it falls to the floor. When an uncharged miter blade with a shred mod hit's a wall or other hard surface it falls to the floor. BEFORE 10.3 Charged miter shots would puncture all enemy units  AND bounce up to 3 times off hard surfaces. Uncharged Miter Blades would bounce 3 times, bouncing off anything hit and uncharged miter shots with the shred mod would puncture all enemy units and bounce up to 3 times off of hard surfaces.

As for the damage: I shot the heavy grineer square in the chest. The "Serrated" part of the serrated blade damage is not working. Miter shots are not ignoring armor.

I'd love to call it a bug but bugs don't happen without a reason. Coding doesn't just randomly break itself. Something has to be changed and the fringe implications of that change have to be overlooked. From what patch notes say nothing involving the physics of the miter or glaive was changed, and NOTHING was changed about Serrated Blade damage. That is a strong indicator that these were stealth nerfs done strictly to the Miter and Glaive.

Oh, so it's impossible for a blade to bounce all around and still be deadly? Well, the Grineer Eviscerators from the Formian event and on Phobos never got that memo.

No what I meant is: how does an object hit a wall and actually bounce and puncture at the same time? To bounce it must change direction, to puncture it must keep going forward, so it's physically impossible to do both at the same time. I was thinking that some code in either the bounce or the puncture might of changed causing the blades, which try to do both (especially with shred) to behave uncorrectly, but from FrothingLoins's answer I guess not.

Edited by CubedOobleck

No what I meant is: how does an object hit a wall and actually bounce and puncture at the same time? To bounce it must change direction, to puncture it must keep going forward, so it's physically impossible to do both at the same time. I was thinking that might be the heart of the problem, because normally the miter would bounce off a surface, but with puncture it might get buggy, but from FrothingLoins's answer I guess not.

Things work like that in the real world. In video games "puncture" is really just clipping toggling (very watered down explanation.) Telling the miter blades to puncture units but rebound off walls isn't super tricky coding. Yes/no/if kind of deal.

Please note I am not a software engineer and the accuracy of my statements should not be taken as anything more than a basic concept. Obviously coding the Miter to puncture units but bounce off "hard surfaces' is very possible, as it USED to do just that.

I'd love to call it a bug but bugs don't happen without a reason. Coding doesn't just randomly break itself. Something has to be changed and the fringe implications of that change have to be overlooked. From what patch notes say nothing involving the physics of the miter or glaive was changed, and NOTHING was changed about Serrated Blade damage. That is a strong indicator that these were stealth nerfs done strictly to the Miter and Glaive.

yes and no. with applications as complex as games, changing a single line in one part of the game can destroy something seemingly totally unrelated. Software is a pain like that sometimes. 

this does not necessarily mean this is what happened. but it is another possibility.

It could be a bug, but it definitely feels like an intentional change. Most of the time a bug would impact one function of the weapon. But the fact that both the damage calculations AND bounce trajectories have changed makes me suspect it to be a direct, mindful action.

Bullet Attractor+ Miter is op because reasons.

Sonar + Crit weapons = balanced because reasons.

:C