Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rift Portals Idea

PsiWarp

Limbo is an incredible solo frame since he can take on enemies and complete objectives at his own comfortable pace. In multiplayer though, unless the team is playing by the book or like to ability nuke, the Rift and Stasis combined often slows down the game for weapon users.

I would like to take a hands-on, opt-in approach to remedy this. Here's the proposal:

Rift Portal from Limbo's passive is moved from his passive to be a core mechanic tied into the Rift Plane.

• A Rift portal will appear between you and your target when a player's weapon hit registers as missed against an crossplane enemy. Limited one per player (new one replaces older one).
  • Players can move through the portal to Banish themselves into the Rift for 15 seconds (as currently).

As simple as that. One it includes visual feedback to indicate to you that your attack is ineffective. Two, you yourself can open a way to interact with Riftbound enemies, for yourself or an ally nearby. Three, it gets rid of the portal behind you when you dodge as Limbo.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat of a Limbo main (among a few other frames I regularly use) and I've always hated the portal mechanic, but this could actually be a way to argue for keeping it. I like it.

I think an additional aspect added to it that could help smooth out team play would be the ability for allies (and the rifted enemies) to shoot through that portal to affect the other plane. This way allies wouldn't necessarily have to enter the rift to kill their target but they still risk being shot by enemies outside of the Rift as well as their target (and rifted targets near them). They would still have the ability to enter the rift through that portal as well. This just gives them more tactical benefit without losing anything in the process. Anything to minimize drastic changes to ally gameplay will make Limbo more team friendly so he doesn't have to avoid half of his kit when allies are within a mile of him if not using a minimum range build.

57 minutes ago, Marine027 said:

You could't use the search function for countless Limbo threads already could you.

Replace this phrase with any one of the 43 frames, you'll quickly find these pointless comments outnumber the amount of threads.

58 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

I'm somewhat of a Limbo main (among a few other frames I regularly use) and I've always hated the portal mechanic, but this could actually be a way to argue for keeping it. I like it.

I think an additional aspect added to it that could help smooth out team play would be the ability for allies (and the rifted enemies) to shoot through that portal to affect the other plane. This way allies wouldn't necessarily have to enter the rift to kill their target but they still risk being shot by enemies outside of the Rift as well as their target (and rifted targets near them). They would still have the ability to enter the rift through that portal as well. This just gives them more tactical benefit without losing anything in the process. Anything to minimize drastic changes to ally gameplay will make Limbo more team friendly so he doesn't have to avoid half of his kit when allies are within a mile of him if not using a minimum range build.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

I'm still debating on whether the portal should or should not let ranged attacks cross planes.

On one hand, yes, it allows the team to play with Limbo much more smoothly. On the other hand, with Stasis in the mix, you'd be invulnerable for much of the game, shooting at disabled enemies combined with the Rift protecting you from damage.

If the ranged attack plane transition works for players, would it also work for enemies' attacks?

1 hour ago, PsiWarp said:

On the other hand, with Stasis in the mix, you'd be invulnerable for much of the game, shooting at disabled enemies combined with the Rift protecting you from damage.

Unfortunately the only good solution to the issue that is Limbo is a full rework since his kit is so tightly intertwined. The priority solution is to fix Rift mechanics, but that (including this portal rework) would need Stasis to be adjusted as well. 

My thought for that in general would be to have enemies that take damage while affected by Stasis to be heavily slowed instead, at least briefly. This'll give them the ability to (poorly) defend themselves and return fire. Then, maybe after a few seconds of taking no damage they might return to full Stasis effect.

1 hour ago, PsiWarp said:

If the ranged attack plane transition works for players, would it also work for enemies' attacks?

This one I'm not sure. If it's just the ability to shoot through the portal already created by players then certainly. Being able to create or pass through a portal themselves I'd probably say no since enemies don't tend to get a say controlling players' abilities. More importantly, they don't have our ability to manipulate void energy - for lore sake at least.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Unfortunately the only good solution to the issue that is Limbo is a full rework since his kit is so tightly intertwined. The priority solution is to fix Rift mechanics, but that (including this portal rework) would need Stasis to be adjusted as well. 

My thought for that in general would be to have enemies that take damage while affected by Stasis to be heavily slowed instead, at least briefly. This'll give them the ability to (poorly) defend themselves and return fire. Then, maybe after a few seconds of taking no damage they might return to full Stasis effect.

This one I'm not sure. If it's just the ability to shoot through the portal already created by players then certainly. Being able to create or pass through a portal themselves I'd probably say no since enemies don't tend to get a say controlling players' abilities. More importantly, they don't have our ability to manipulate void energy - for lore sake at least.

Indeed. A slow effect into full halt (reminds me of Lull actually) would at least create a short window of retaliation for enemies as a balancing act.

Since Stasis was tweaked after Limbo's revisit,, I've wanted to see the object limit they built into Stasis used to some effect, rather than just as a game performance thing. Letting enemies shoot during Stasis would enable this again, creating an interesting risk/skill-based evasion to learn for Limbo.

Right. Portals never interacted with enemies before, I don't think they need to for this idea either.

Limbo double tap dash to transition leaving regular functionality.

Hold 4 to automatically cancel all active abilities 

Options to color and customize the rift and how enemies appear when affected

Make the rift obey consistency,  no circumstantial editing/ Arbitrary attributes 

Edited by (XB1)EPOSSTYLE