Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teoarrk's concepts, lore and ideas thread, part 2 (Latest post - Where Part 9?)

Teoarrk

3 hours ago, keikogi said:

Had a look at this kit and man the whole justice gauge is a bit to restringent and the skills aren't overpowered enough to justify how hard they are to cast. When I play garuda with a skill that hit thought wall with a radius of 25 meters it takes me 10 minutes to get Molt augmented fully stacked so on a opmist point of view this warframe gains 750 justice in 10 minutes with roughly translates to 1,25 justice per second. I know there is the shield gate feature but given that every Chroma complain about his damage buff I don't think it helps that much . I would suggest to have the skill with cd and allow justice to bypass the cooldown so the frame has higher a baseline effecness. 

About the skills , my biggest gripe is with the exalted hammer. I would just make a generic melee buff and give the frame acess to a unique melee weapon and more importantly a unique melee stance ( stronger than the average hammer stance on purpose to push the frame to use hammers) . I always said the exalted weapons tend to be killed by the slow March of power creep and the incarnoon bs we are getting vindicated my opinion.

This is why I love having your critical eye around.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvlTXbL0bLW98zFbU6MYs

Btw given that we got horse in warframe now, I'm trying to make this a thing. Any idea of theme for the horse is armor set stick ? 

This image is from rell from lol , she has magnetic powers and makes a fancy pailnts horse to move around and than turns it into a set of heavy armor 

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

The most important question to ask at times like this is "How does it feel to play?"

This once i was adressing a matter of fun , the frame just did not have enought juice to work 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, keikogi said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvlTXbL0bLW98zFbU6MYs

Btw given that we got horse in warframe now, I'm trying to make this a thing. Any idea of theme for the horse is armor set stick ? 

This image is from rell from lol , she has magnetic powers and makes a fancy pailnts horse to move around and than turns it into a set of heavy armor 

When I played a modded run of Darkest Dungeon, there was a class that had a spectral horse. It did a bit of everything. 

Found it.

I don't know much about that character from League so I can't comment on it, but it definitely is a lesser used archetype.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

The most important question to ask at times like this is "How does it feel to play?"

8 hours ago, keikogi said:

This once i was adressing a matter of fun , the frame just did not have enought juice to work

Very fair statements both. I should have probably revisited it before posting.

2 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

Very fair statements both. I should have probably revisited it before posting.

While we're talking this, my cardinal rule for weapon gimmicks is "never make it feel like a minigame." :P

The average player should be able to comprehend how to get the most investment out of a gun I draw within the first mission they use it. Plus, nothing in this game survives long enough or a minigame-like weapon to be relevant lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

When I played a modded run of Darkest Dungeon, there was a class that had a spectral horse. It did a bit of everything. 

Found it.

I don't know much about that character from League so I can't comment on it, but it definitely is a lesser used archetype.

ghost horse is a angle , might be easier to do, comboy 2 eletric bogaloo angle or knight angle could work. 

but i really think the armor stick is so cool 

I was initially trying to go saint seya with a complex horse that turns into armor like the pegasus suit in this video  

https://youtu.be/iRSMcqlfAtg?t=39

But I supose a ghost stick is easyer to go trought 

maybe something simpler like this 

phantom-steed-d-d-adventures-in-the-forg

or this

e207727af59639be2df2f62b69e075c813953466

when dismounted the head piece could be used as shield , something along these lines

091eb65d39fb000c90577b67c44bb110.jpg

and the tail a whip , slaps some of the pieces of the horse armor around the body and call it a day 

keeps the origigal idea of always stiking together instead of sumoning whenever necessary 

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 1

The reason I bring up a ghost horse at all is because of how Kaithes operate - less of a persistent object and more of an on-demand spectre. I do like the premises you've brought up though, but generally speaking it feels like you're going for a megazord style transformation in general. Would the warframe shrink down like Titania to make big ol' horse and a rider easier to use in general maps or what was the plan? Or maybe you could do something like WoW's druid forms, where he/she shapeshifts?

16 minutes ago, Teoarrk said:

The reason I bring up a ghost horse at all is because of how Kaithes operate - less of a persistent object and more of an on-demand spectre. I do like the premises you've brought up though, but generally speaking it feels like you're going for a megazord style transformation in general. Would the warframe shrink down like Titania to make big ol' horse and a rider easier to use in general maps or what was the plan? Or maybe you could do something like WoW's druid forms, where he/she shapeshifts?

I feel like the shrink down is a unessary compromise,  just smoothing out the transition between form should be enough for a smooth gameplay experience. I've rode the kaithes in a cave and I don't think a Galeon is much worse. Something as fast or faster than what we have for operators should be smooth enought also costless transformation otherwise the player is estimulated to limitd transitions.

Transforming into the hose does not get much value either because horse don't really have that much going for them as far as diferent attacks they can perform.

Maybe necromarr of the ghost variant is the best way to go 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwje6ZdvlKrv86RsgnzFA

Something more like the nighhaint spooky ghost and spooky solider. Could make the horse stick work for damage given that she can summon a entire cavalry charge and the grounde variant could summon archer and pike man formations.

• Like 1

I think the best way to do the necromancer ghost stick is make it a solider and not a mage. Something along the lines of carrying the broken and possessed weapons of the former teammates. Tap uses the skill, hold summons the companion to use it and disables the skill. Make the weapon and skill based on Dax from duviri, 1 based on the horse, 2 based on the shielded fat dudes, 3 bow dude and 4 one of the katana guys (small ,big or dual) 

This also pushes the frame away from nekros withered aesthetic and magic style (magic weapons vs magic dude ). The horse loses the spotlight on this version, but this might be for the best ( avoiding another yareli situation might be a wise idea, especially given how badly the skate board is aging ( bad access to helminth , no access to on switch triggers , limited access to weapons )

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Why I haven't posted in a while

Hey everybody. No, I'm not dead, but I know the thread has been for a while. It's simply a lack of motivation. I've been told for a while to come up with my own setting and I have. At first, I thought my lagging behind was just because of uni and the anxiety of my work being read by strangers, but I've realised that it was more my flagging interest in the setting DE want to pursue in general. I watched Tennocon this year and while I did find it interesting, I'm once again feeling like it's not Warframe, but something else. 

What this means, is that I'm not sure when I'll next post. I've written and dumpstered the next two quests a few times, so I can't commit to giving a cliffnotes of what I wanted to do, but I was and still am excited to continue this series some day, with an emphasis on no fixed date. I apologise to anyone that really wanted to see part 9 or 10 before the end of the year, because it might take that long. Alternatively, I might suddenly find my mojo again and knock out two parts in a month. 

So, I guess for now I'll say:

Til Then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Teoarrk said:

thread has been for a while. It's simply a lack of motivation. I've been told for a while to come up with my own setting and I have. At first, I thought my lagging behind was just because of uni and the anxiety of my work being read by strangers, but I've realised that it was more my flagging interest in the setting DE want to pursue in general. I watched Tennocon this year and while I did find it interesting, I'm once again feeling like it's not Warframe, but something else. 

I just feel like the darksector gun skins memed this update into existence. But my biggest gripe with it is that we kinda forgot about the whole Tau thing. It was not resolved. Presumably Tau still full of sentients,  hunhow or erra never agreed to a cease fire ( they are lookwarm at best but as far as we know they never dialed back home about it and the fact that the void is being actively brought into existence by the heart of deimos sounds like something  they would not be a fans off ).  I just wish de went with a story line that os not salad five and stick with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

I watched Tennocon this year and while I did find it interesting, I'm once again feeling like it's not Warframe, but something else. 

That's a common issue with any time I try and write fanfic for a universe like this. Inevitably, I feel like I've built it up into something it's not. It's what made me leave Runescape all those years ago.

The biggest issue, I think, is WF has so much potential but DE focuses on such a narrow slice of it. So many of us want stuff like... like more people out there, more lore that makes the System feel lived-in, a sense that we're helping others, but there we are fighting cosmic horrors now. And that's cool, I'll still play WF and enjoy that, but I just...

...I want to see evidence that people live here, y'know? And I get a little more disappointed the further DE moves away from stuff like fortuna, which was when I felt most like "There are real people here too." I don't necessarily need a whole open-world, I just... I need something. Like some Steel Meridian missions involving protecting a colony or evacuating one from the Grineer - call it Evacuation or something, and it involves you working with Steel Meridian to help people get to Steel Meridian transports.

Edited by (XBOX)Fluffywolf36
  • Like 1

It’s such a pain when that happens. Much like you, I’ve been trying for months to pull the rip chord loose on a design that is a hairsbreadith away from completion, yet I find myself getting distracted by various things over and over again to reach that final step. 

I’m still here, I’m still trying to work here, and I’m still trying to get to you guys, but, god-DEM, where has my time budget gone?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quickie: A moment of respite, while the spore clouds flounder

Underneath the howling skies, and the thin streaming reminders of what once was, beyond the long span of the old bridge and the wilted, poisoned fields, is the plastic tent outpost of Lafayette's Ridge. If you ignore the whir of the dying filters and the coughing, sickly bags of meat that live there, and their mutterings of this being the end of days, you'll see that single golden emblem, that token of the old times. You can touch it, the inhabitants won't argue, and maybe, just maybe you'll dream that night. 

I passed that way not too long ago. That little plastic tent is greened with algae, its edges covered in moss. But it hasn't started to slough, or twist despite being there longer than anyone can remember. The material hasn't begun to leech into the soil, or fray, or show signs of age, if you ignore the greening. The earth is trying to reclaim it and it stubbornly refuses. The filter has never been changed. It may be dying, but it's still better than all the others you can find anywhere in Bago. Some say that the new trees east across the ocean will make filters a thing of the past and this one will go on until it no longer has a use. I hold onto that hope. It's the only place we can send the old and lung-rotted. It might be strange to put faith in something you don't fully understand, but do you even know what they put in the filters these days? Cotton died out a long time ago.

When you lay down to sleep, and you tune out the coughing, the whirring changes. It becomes something else entirely. It starts to sing.  I've never heard something so beautiful in all my life. If something as mundane as an air filter could sing in the old times, it, the plastic and the golden symbol gave birth to the strangest dream I've ever had, that I recorded the morning after second, by second.

A great city of marble rose from the earth around me, filled with shimmering, towering figures of starlight. They looked down at me from their long necks, really looked at me, in a way that my mother never did and my father never could and I felt so much love and compassion in that moment that I apparently cried in my sleep. One in particular stood out to me. He was so symmetrical, so beautiful that even in my dream, I dared not breathe, dare not move for fear that I would displease him. I watched as he took in my put-together hazard suit, covered in grime and dust, the mismatched colours and the jury rigged travel filters from Giorgio's, and watched as he slowly shook his head.

"My poor citizen. It was never meant to end like this. This was not our plan, but our plans, our designs were stripped from us by them." He said, with his perfect lips, that were curled into a frown. He looked up, the others around him doing the same. I looked up, but saw nothing. Some took on combative stances, but from their looks of despair, this wasn't a fight that they could win.

A mob of reddened figures appeared from the rooftops of the city. One by one, the shimmering giants were struck down, until it was only me and the figure that had spoken. It was in that moment that the figures faded. He had not once looked away, merely scowling as he spoke again. "Because they thought they knew better, every generation has faced its own tragedy. A debt of blood, or sickness, all thanks to them. Even you and your father."

The directed statement thawed my throat. "You knew my father?"

The figure shook his head. "I knew what happened to him. The Blight. Shortly after you were born. First his eyes, then his lungs. By the time you were in school, he was here."

This was too real for a dream, even a lucid one. "What is this?" I asked.

"A conversation. I have them every night, with the people that can hear the singing. Your father spoke to me quite often, before he passed. There was so much he wished for you, for the family."

I couldn't understand it. I was speaking to the tent?

"He died and everything got worse. The spore clouds shifted South. I've spent most of my life in bigger and bigger suits to stop The Blight from killing me the same way it killed dad, but all it will take is one mistake, one day. A broken seal, a loose glove and a single spec could kill me. A dodgy filter- if I can keep affording them. If you don't work, you die, do you understand?" I replied.

The figure stood still and silent for a long time in the dream. Slowly, they shrunk down until a thin, emaciated figure stood before me. Some parts of him were blurred, as if he were a distant memory that was fading. But that face, with those wide eyes and thin, bony cheeks were distinct. It was the Bajo look, only those clothes weren't. They were spun from a richer material than I had ever seen. It seemed out of place to see such fine clothes on a starving man.

"I know that all too well. I used to be much more than I am, but I was given a purpose to do forever and I was made well. But machines can get sick. It started 50 years ago, but no one has come to fix me. No one ever will. Beyond the spore clouds and the seas beyond that, Lua was proof that my purpose mattered and that the sick I cared for would have a higher purpose. For 1000 years, Lua was gone.  But still you lived, still you fought and you struggled and for what? Your lives are miserable, your days fewer than those before you. But you never gave up. Dying was a certainty, but it was never something you chose. Only a few that I have talked to have ever wished to die, even as they heave their last."

"Do you hate them? The people that did this to you?"

"No. My life was miserable. Everything was dying out. I was the healthiest person in the entire commune, so they chose me. Thanks to what I became, the crops were protected and the clouds receded. But I don't have the same power I used to. One of my antennas broke and the northern barrier failed. The western one will fall, in time. Lua has returned, but I don't hear them, anymore. It's silent. They're all gone from that place."

"Do you usually talk about these things with people?"

The figure chuckled, then sighed. "I apologise. The end is approaching, I can feel it. 50 years is a long time to be sick. Some would call it cruelty to be unwell for so long, but not die. I can tell that the winds are changing. The spore saturation is decreasing. Maybe the Technocyte Virus is dying out, or something else is happening. A miracle. Whatever it is, there will be no glories for me, or a second rebirth. I will have done my job, then be discarded to the weeds that are slowly consuming me. The Orokin have no use for machines that have no purpose."

"We'll need you still. The spore clouds come and go. 20 years ago-"

"20 years ago a weather storm pushed the spore clouds away, but I could still pick them up. This is different."

"What makes you so sure?"

"There is much you can do, Dawkin. I can only do this. It's all I've known. It's all I'm good at. No one ever compliments my bedside manner, do they?"

The figure sighed, and coughed. Blood trickled down the sides of his mouth. I moved forward to try to help him, realising that I had no idea what I could do to help him. Beyond this form, he was a machine no one could fix. He held up a hand to hold me back.

"The clouds are dying. Maybe we'll both go at the same time." He said with a rueful smile.

"Maybe you could be fixed? We find relics from the old days all the time."

"Fixing me would mean turning off the entire system. How many people would die in the meantime? No, this is the way it should be. In 5 years, I reckon. If I live that long, then you can try."

Then I was shaken awake. The serenity of the conversation was replaced by the cacophony of the dying. 

Lafayette's Ridge. Go soon, for your sake, sis. Maybe it might explain your visions. I know you're trying to figure out how to jury rig the old relay network in Golok, but I think you might just figure out why thats not going anywhere. Just one night. Tell them about dad and give them that toy you found. I know that you don't think that it's worth anything, but the folks over there care about them a whole lot. They told me mine used to mean something, back in the old days.

Take Care.

-Darwin.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 2

• Teoarrk changed the title to Teoarrk's concepts, lore and ideas thread, part 2 (Latest post - Short Story: Respite, while the spore clouds flounder)

Since I haven't written anything Warframe related in a while, I thought that it would be best to do something slightly different, but related. Without going into details, I've been having a rough time. Some things that hurt to hear over a conversation were instead told to me through social media. I've been slowly adjusting to the new normal in light of this and well, been focused on living, working and coping instead of creating. I suppose this is the lull I forewarned you all about in September. I think now at this point it's just finding the time to write it all down. I will probably be commissioning art for this upcoming part of the Technocyte Schism, so that coupled with everything else will make this a juggernaut of a piece. 

Til Then.

Edited by Teoarrk

• 5 months later...

Quickie: Where part 9?

Hi all. 

you would think at my age that setting a deadline for a hobby thing would be something I would have learned not to do ages ago, but, here we are. I've been busy with life stuff, so I had to set aside the Technocyte Schism in order to make that happen. I've had a holiday, worked on building my skillset for my job and might be moving house soon-ish. 

The long and the short of it is that Part 9 exists. I am planning on making it into a video as, as some people have said in the past something longer than 2 pages is off putting and well, a story quest in 2 pages is just not something that I can do for the scope of the quest I am writing. 

So, while the video will have some reading, it will mostly be stat screens for new weapons, tooltips for quest items and rewards. 

This is already a very long running series and unfortunately it will not be the last part, but given that my position is moving up in the world, it should be easier for me to do this at a faster pace in the future.

To close off this short update, here is the voiced intro.

Til Then.

• Like 1

• Teoarrk changed the title to Teoarrk's concepts, lore and ideas thread, part 2 (Latest post - Where Part 9?)