Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Constant crashing since Path of Steel update

Amerikanovich

I haven't played in a while, but after seeing the Path of Steel and Deadlock Protocol updates had been released I decided to give it a go.

I'm lucky if I'm able to complete a single mission without the game suddenly closing and taking me to the crash website page.

I've verified the game cache files, optimized, nothing on my computer is overclocked, graphics drivers are up to date, running windows update version 1909 with the .NET Framework patch for 3.5 & 4.0.

The crashes seem to happen when the GPU hangs around 100% usage for any amount of time, setting the frame limit down to 60 and de-tuning the graphics settings help but sooner or later a usage spike will come and with it the chance of taking the game down with it.

Warframe is the only game that does this, none of the help suggestions on the crash page are of any use, my PSU is barely a year old, Gold rated Corsair, the rest is a Ryzen 5 system with a GTX 1060 GPU, G.Skill RAM.

I've been seeing a lot of posts about the game's instability in the past month or so, rarely is there a solution to it, has there been any talk about this?

I would love to be able to play again.

5 minutes ago, Amerikanovich said:

my PSU is barely a year old, Gold rated Corsair, the rest is a Ryzen 5 system with a GTX 1060 GPU, G.Skill RAM.

You really need to provide useful information. Your PSU’s wattage is more useful than its age or rating. The model of your CPU is more useful than “generic Ryzen 5”, and “g.skill ram” is meaningless. The amount of RAM (in GB) you have is what matters. Your OS also matters.

8 minutes ago, Amerikanovich said:

The crashes seem to happen when the GPU hangs around 100% usage for any amount of time

GPU’s are meant to be able to operate at this level. If your stuff is crashing because your GPU is hitting 100% utilisation it may be faulty. 

• Do make sure that it is using dGPU not iGPU. I have had issues with that before, the game claims it is using dGPU but isn’t.

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

You really need to provide useful information. Your PSU’s wattage is more useful than its age or rating. The model of your CPU is more useful than “generic Ryzen 5”, and “g.skill ram” is meaningless. The amount of RAM (in GB) you have is what matters. Your OS also matters.

GPU’s are meant to be able to operate at this level. If your stuff is crashing because your GPU is hitting 100% utilisation it may be faulty. 

• Do make sure that it is using dGPU not iGPU. I have had issues with that before, the game claims it is using dGPU but isn’t.

The information I provided was more to indicate that I did not throw cheap no-name components into my computer that could be prone to failing unexpectedly.

It's a 650W supply, 1st generation R5 1600X, 16GB DDR4 @ 3GHz.

I know GPUs are supposed to operate at 100%, that's why I made a post in a forum about why this is a strange and problematic occurrence, which again, ONLY happens with this one game, so it's most likely not a faulty GPU.

It's also a PC, not a laptop, so no chance of the game accidentally using the wrong one.

4 hours ago, Amerikanovich said:

The information I provided was more to indicate that I did not throw cheap no-name components into my computer that could be prone to failing unexpectedly.

Fair enough. But if your well known components were under the minimum requirements that could cause an issue.

I know GPUs are supposed to operate at 100%, that's why I made a post in a forum about why this is a strange and problematic occurrence, which again, ONLY happens with this one game, so it's most likely not a faulty GPU.

Perhaps the GPU isn’t to blame? Do you have it hitting 100% in other games without issue? Have a look in the event viewer next time it happens, sometimes it can provide useful information for what the issue is.

It's also a PC, not a laptop, so no chance of the game accidentally using the wrong one.

That actually would depend on your settings (I can easily tell mine to use it). But your CPU doesn’t have an iGPU, so you’re correct in that it will be using the dGPU.

Most games I've checked on keep the GPU at 99-100%, barring the poorly optimized ones like star citizen.

I can keep warframe from crashing by setting the frame limit to 60 and turning GPU particles from ludicrous down to high, which keeps the usage around 50%, only spiking up to 95% during intense moments.

CPU hanging around 5-15% at this level, kind of strange but it's playable and looks alright.

I am also experiencing this issue. Just reinstalled the game, last played was 2019 and I didn't have any problems then. Checked debug.log and found these:

[0726/214427.549:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0726/220323.834:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0726/233327.735:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0726/235022.638:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1
[0727/061403.273:ERROR:settings.cc(325)] Settings version is not 1

I tried googling this and couldn't find anything.

I have this crashing issue as well. Been happening to me ever since steel path update besides that in the 6 years ive been playing ive never crashed in this game.

geforce gtx 1080 ti

i7-7700k 4.20ghz intel CPU

4TB Western Digital SSD

Asus Maximus IX Apex Motherboard

16GB 4200mhz RAM

Hello, I was able to figure out why my game kept on crashing. I am not sure if it is the same with everyone. I was running on overclock setting and I read from a different post to stop overclocking and I was able to have no crashes in game. I have been playing a full day without crashes.

I've been getting similar issues lately.  After 10-15 minutes the game just crashes and usually hard freezes my system.  I've never had the issue happen outside of playing Warframe and have had the exact same problem on two different computers with zero components in common and different operating systems, so I don't really see a way that this could be caused by anything other than an issue with the game.

Archived