Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dark Sector Weapon Bonus' could use a Review

Drasiel

Browsing through the wiki and I noticed that there is no High tier weapon affinty bonus darksector for shotguns. Shotguns only get up to 18% while pistols and rifles get 25% and melee gets 21%. It gets weirder though, there are 2 melee 21% locations, potentially a  long standing oversight or maybe it just dates back to when we had very very few shotguns.

There's actually only 3 Darksector locations that give bonus shotgun affinity at all. Yursa, Neptne (18%); Cameria, Jupiter (10%); and Piscina, saturn (10%).

In total this is how the 26 dark sector nodes break down for weapon bonus':
10 melee nodes
7 rifle nodes
6 pistol nodes
3 shotgun nodes
0 heavy weapon nodes (obviously because they didn't exist back when dark sectors were created)

It might be time to shuffle around some of those node weapon bonus'. Our arsenal has expanded substantially since they were added, especially shotguns. you could arrange the bonus's so melee, rifle, pistol, and shotgun each get 6 locations and heavy weapons get the remaining 2 since you don't get the resources to make those till much later so they don't need to be spread as evenly throughout the starchart.

1 hour ago, Drasiel said:

Browsing through the wiki and I noticed that there is no High tier weapon affinty bonus darksector for shotguns. Shotguns only get up to 18%

There's actually only 3 Darksector locations that give bonus shotgun affinity at all. Yursa, Neptne (21%); Cameria, Jupiter (10%); and Piscina, saturn (10%).

Can you standardise your values? It cannot be hard. I assume it was a mistake to suggest the max was both 18 and 21%.

0 heavy weapon nodes (obviously because they didn't exist back when dark sectors were created)

A good developer would account for "things that might be added in the future" and add them to the relevant tables.

I am not sure why we need any mission that gives increased affinity gain to a specific weapon class. It makes more sense to just set it as X% bonus affinity.

1 hour ago, krc473 said:

A good developer would account for "things that might be added in the future" and add them to the relevant tables.

Dark Sectors pre-date archwing by over half a year and they both predate heavy weapons by four years.

Not only did heavy weapons not exist, but likely the arch-weapons that would become heavy weapons would have been in a prototypical stage as well.

I'm pretty sure most developers wouldn't account for something that far down the line.

I believe the main reason they have different values and affinity boost a lay back in the clan war days, which only the very longest severing tennos can remember. Also the extra was something to balance the fact infestation gave less affinity to start with compared to affinity from grinneer. Nobody uses these nodes for leveling as we now have faster places to level such as sanctuary or liches. Seeing as DE has removed dark sector entries from codex its a probability they will remove the bonus as well. 

Some of these older nodes and xp items related to solar rails and clan wars needs addressing either removed or updated on the star map and in dojo's.

Affinity as a whole needs a overhaul, hopefully its on the list of needs updating 

6 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I'm pretty sure most developers wouldn't account for something that far down the line.

I explained it badly: things that might be added in the future. I was meaning when you add new things, add them to relevant stuff. Not that they should have planned for heavy weapons when dark sectors were released, that is unrealistic. But when heavy weapons were released they should have looked at adding them in to the bonus there.

9 hours ago, krc473 said:

Can you standardise your values? It cannot be hard. I assume it was a mistake to suggest the max was both 18 and 21%.

I am not sure why we need any mission that gives increased affinity gain to a specific weapon class. It makes more sense to just set it as X% bonus affinity.

my bad I output the line above when I was typing out the thing. the melee location directly above the shotgun location in the list is 21% I'll fix that. The darksector nodes give both bonus affinity (30% at top level) plus weapon specific affinity bonus on top of it. Which I'd like to keep because it makes a substantial difference.

6 hours ago, (PSN)camwyn-xenos said:

I believe the main reason they have different values and affinity boost a lay back in the clan war days, which only the very longest severing tennos can remember. Also the extra was something to balance the fact infestation gave less affinity to start with compared to affinity from grinneer. Nobody uses these nodes for leveling as we now have faster places to level such as sanctuary or liches. Seeing as DE has removed dark sector entries from codex its a probability they will remove the bonus as well. 

Some of these older nodes and xp items related to solar rails and clan wars needs addressing either removed or updated on the star map and in dojo's.

Affinity as a whole needs a overhaul, hopefully its on the list of needs updating 

Yes I was there when dark sectors was added the imbalance of the affinity gains and what items gained it was part of the draw of the high value nodes. However we are so far past that original intention now. The star chart has even been moved around since. Ceres used to be one of the highest level planets, that's why it's credit amount is so high compared to other early darksectors, it was never updated for the planets new location.

People do use them for leveling. I use them for leveling almost exclusively because I don't like onslaught and I want to fight things other than grineer. More options for farms is never a bad thing and I can get credits at the same time. You could also argue that fissures took their place but fissures only really become better if you want to do long runs which are physically unhealthy.

Darksectors also provide early and mid game easy leveling locations right on the starmap and as part of progression so for new players they can be real boon.

Archived