Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Event scripting

ThumpumGood

2 minutes ago, ThumpumGood said:

I did. I wrote it. My rig is sensative enough that I notice the performance difference.
i7-7700, MSI gaming pro board, TWO 1080GPUs, 32 GB Ram, 2 1 TB SSDs (which have my games and OS on them) Liquid cooled, 7 case fans(including the one on the power) Gb Ethernet card and other toys.

I run every game on extreme graphics and can do that with the 144hz monitor. I NOTICE performance issues. And Im not the only person I've talked to that has had issues with performance thru Steam. My XP machine, My Win7 Machine and this rig have all had the same issues. It is NOT my rig.

You may be able to lay it on my ISP not updating their cables but that wouldnt explain the laptop having issues since it was on a cell card. So Im guessing that something either in my security, Windows or ISP when running thru steam is causing the issue. This is not new and it's not on one machine and it's not on one ISP... the ONLY constant is Steam.

Sit down and let the people who know deal with it. You obviously dont.

What if you behave properly to someone of your age and just, for one second, understand that I wasn't trolling you or something, but providing more info here? if you think it's my faulty POV, then a mod had the ame faulty POV I had, because this is why your both threads got merged into one.

16 hours ago, krisvek said:

There's nothing wrong with Win10. The vast majority of gamers use it without issue. Not trolling, if you're having issues, there may be a hardware or configuration issue specific to your computer. It's not the operating system.

Per Steam hardware survey last month:

MOST POPULAR  PERCENTAGE  CHANGE
Windows Version   
Windows 10 64 bit    94.73%       +2.22%
Windows 7 64 bit        3.64%       -1.84%
Windows 8.1 64 bit     1.20%       -0.26%
Windows 7                  0.18%       -0.05%
Windows 10                0.10%       -0.03%
Windows 8 64 bit        0.09%       -0.02%
Other                           0.06%       -0.02%

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=pc

I don't really have problems with Windows 10... although I feel like it makes mechanical disk access feel a lot slower than on Windows 7, Linux, etc...

But just so you know, this chart doesn't mean that gamers are moving to Windows 10 because it's better or the same as older versions of Windows, but because Microsoft doesn't officially support any of those operating systems (except Windows 10!) anymore. They are all end-of-life... well, unless you're using an Enterprise-licensed version of Windows 7 (which you aren't, because that be would your work machine!).

1 hour ago, ThumpumGood said:

I did. I wrote it. My rig is sensative enough that I notice the performance difference.
i7-7700, MSI gaming pro board, TWO 1080GPUs, 32 GB Ram, 2 1 TB SSDs (which have my games and OS on them) Liquid cooled, 7 case fans(including the one on the power) Gb Ethernet card and other toys.

I run every game on extreme graphics and can do that with the 144hz monitor. I NOTICE performance issues. And Im not the only person I've talked to that has had issues with performance thru Steam. My XP machine, My Win7 Machine and this rig have all had the same issues. It is NOT my rig.

You may be able to lay it on my ISP not updating their cables but that wouldnt explain the laptop having issues since it was on a cell card. So Im guessing that something either in my security, Windows or ISP when running thru steam is causing the issue. This is not new and it's not on one machine and it's not on one ISP... the ONLY constant is Steam.

Sit down and let the people who know deal with it. You obviously dont.

Does your problem involve the screen turning black for a moment, then Windows desktop appearing with a little notification that says something like "Your graphics driver didn't respond, but recovered" (you can also look in Event Viewer to see this message).

And if it is... this is actually not a hardware problem (but Warframe will think it is). It's a Microsoft-is-dumb-and-picked-stupid-defaults problem. They have like a timeout value of 5 seconds for graphics drivers. If a graphics driver is busy rendering your game and doesn't respond to the Windows driver stack every 5 seconds... Windows will think it's borked and basically yank and reload it... and video games don't take kindly to that!

Now there are ways to try fix this with the registry editor... but they don't work anymore. The keys or their value types or usage are different. It's even documented incorrectly on Microsoft's own MSDN documentation which is a service that has no business being mentioned here on the Warframe forums (because it's a nerd documentation service for arcane Windows development).

So what's the solution? There's no Micosoft GUI to set this because Microsoft knows that you're not smart enough to fix these problems (even though video gamers tend to know a ton about computers). No... you need to install NVIDIA's CUDA SDK and get the nSight Debugger. The nSight Debugger allows you to step through CUDA code to figure out why stuff is not computing correctly on the GPU! And slowly stepping through code causes the driver to appear hung to Windows. So NVIDIA advises you increase this timeout value to like 60 seconds or just disable the dumb timeout system! And they provide an easy way to do this! Because video game websites with regedit hacks are incorrect for Windows 10 and even Microsoft's own documentation is incorrect. And there's no way to really know for sure if your regedit hack took until Warframe "crashes" again and shows you that awful and irritating page with that obnoxious smiley about how overclockers should know better and all that junk (even though you probably didn't overclock!).

So yes, you should install an arcane developer package to access a tool to change a dumb setting so that your video games run more reliably. This is a failure of Microsoft. This is an understatement about Microsoft... this post should be filled with profanity! That gamers should even need to do something like this to begin with is appalling!

EDIT: Here's the Warframe hardwarefail page

https://www.warframe.com/en/hardwarefail

And look, it still has smileys! This is what you want to see when 1 hour of your time is thrown out the window... right?

... we shouldn't have to tell you that it can cause problems :) 🙂 😆 😅 🤣 😂 😃 ...

I added smileys for added frustration. It's the last thing I want to see when I lose a ton of progress.

After setting up my system to debug CUDA code with nSight Debugger, I haven't had to see this obnoxious page once since.

And I see that it still isn't mentioning the Event Viewer. That's the first place to look! No, you should run mdsched.exe and run a memory checker for 8 hours ... because faulty RAM is so common!!!!!

16 hours ago, nslay said:

Does your problem involve the screen turning black for a moment, then Windows desktop appearing with a little notification that says something like "Your graphics driver didn't respond, but recovered" (you can also look in Event Viewer to see this message).

Not that Im aware. Altho I will check. The game just shuts down and then the window pops up saying something is wrong with the hardware.

To be clear...
Laptop on cell card Compaq Presario with win XP- Integrated graphix
5450HD card on a business computer I built with win7 on 150Mbps cable
Two 1080s I had built with Win10 on 150Mbps cable

That 3 OSs and 2 different ISPs and 3 different Graphix situations.
The only constant is Steam. 

First- I dont know how disconnecting got merged with event scripting to minimized downloads got merged but Im guessing some one wasnt paying attention.

So... On the event scripting... I dunno how it's done these days as I stopped doing it quite some time ago and dont know what's possible and Im going to leave that topic alone.

On disconnect issues... As I stated, not my machine. It has to do with my ISP and their modem. More specifically, their overlay on to the modem they provide. So Im going to go get my own and be done with that garbage.

Im out of this thread.

1 hour ago, ThumpumGood said:

Not that Im aware. Altho I will check. The game just shuts down and then the window pops up saying something is wrong with the hardware.

To be clear...
Laptop on cell card Compaq Presario with win XP- Integrated graphix
5450HD card on a business computer I built with win7 on 150Mbps cable
Two 1080s I had built with Win10 on 150Mbps cable

That 3 OSs and 2 different ISPs and 3 different Graphix situations.
The only constant is Steam. 

When it happens, note the time and open up Event Viewer and look at System logs around that time. Windows can specifically identify some of these hardware problems.

1 hour ago, nslay said:

When it happens, note the time and open up Event Viewer and look at System logs around that time. Windows can specifically identify some of these hardware problems.

I know how. Went to school for computers back in the day. On top of that I build and maintain my own. However, it's getting difficult to find parts for a 286 with 98SE. This rig I had build due to the expense so that I would have 3yr guarantee vs 1 yr for parts if I put it together. Suffice it to say, I know my way around a PC.  Im glad you mentioned it so that other people who wouldnt know will know now.

EDIT- The 98SE is for playing the oringinal diablo. hard to get the game disk to recognize a monitor or pc with more than 600X800.

Archived