Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Think The Vulkar Could Use A Buff

Salvo1

Hello, I got the Vulkar because I wanted to try sniping in this game, and came away very disappointed.

The damage is only mediocre (especially the DPS) the zoom feels like it's way too much for most battlefield situations, and worst of all, the magazine size is too small AND the reload is too long.  One or the other would be okay, but both makes it damn nigh near totally useless.  And the firing rate feels a little bit too slow as well.

Playing in level-appropriate missions, I simply could not kill many things fast at all because every other serious weapon (including the credit-buyable Braton) outperforms the Vulkar in any realistic Battlefield situation.  It fires too slow, it has no inherent AOE to hit multiple targets at once.  The clip is really small and the reload is so long it makes you have to slow down your firing speed to pick targets very carefully which slows down your actual firing and target engagement speed as opposed to your theoretical firing rate and target engagement speed which is higher on paper.

And for all that, the damage isn't even that great and the weapon isn't even armor piercing.  The Kunai (and especially the Despair) are better weapons and they're secondaries!

I used the Vulkar for several missions during this event and when everyone around you is smoking everything with high fire rate, big clip, medium-fast reload speed weapons which have decent damage per bullet and quick engagement, kill, and target switching abilities you're left behind in the dust if you try to use this weapon.

I appreciate it's concept, but I feel like it needs some serious work in order to be effective while providing the "sniper rifle experience".

snipers are not intended to kill large amounts of units. A snipers job is to sit in the back and take out high priority targets with as few shots as possible.

also, there is a new sniper rifle coming out some time in the near future so that may be more to your liking.

I should also point out that I just got it. (level 1) and I can one shot crewman on venus. I was plays with a level 16 loki and in solo mode

Edited by CelsiusPrime

Vulkar is sub-par sniper compared to every other Sniper.

Vulkar was worse then the Snipetron and just crap when compared to the SVandal.

The Lanka shoots explodes the Vulkar out of the atmosphere and the Bows are just out-right better.

There is NO reason why you would use a Vulkar other then.

You don't have a clan with the Lanka Unlocked.  Not high enough Mastery to get the Lanka.  Wasn't around for the Snipetrons and you just hate bows.

I can't think of what you CAN do to make this worthwhile using other then a damage Buff.  But even then the Non-AP damage severly limits its use in high level missions.

Simple buffs it could get:

Reloadspeed: 3 secs (from 4)

Magsize: Around 7 to 10 (from 4)

Damage: 135 (from 125)

There, at least it would be more viable. The magsize + reloadspeed is the main reason this weapon sucks really. It would also feel like a sort of sidegrade to the Snipetron and Snipetron Vandal (Btw, the regular Snipetron could also have some of its reloadspeed and/or magsize buffed, although not nearly as much as the Vulkar, due to having AP damage. More like 5 bullets and 2.5 second reload or so. This to make them feel more like sidegrades to one another. And the Vandal would still be better with its stronger shots, 6 bullets and 2 second reload)

I find it hard to believe that this is the "tier" system that DE was so happily harping on about. "It will be viable at all levels of play, just slightly less viable than higher tier weapons", they said.

You can't even take out a level 1 Grineer Sawman with a single bodyshot from an unmodded Vulkar. Not a good sign for a weapon whose purpose is to deal great damage in single hits.

Edited by SortaRandom

snipers are not intended to kill large amounts of units. A snipers job is to sit in the back and take out high priority targets with as few shots as possible.

also, there is a new sniper rifle coming out some time in the near future so that may be more to your liking.

I should also point out that I just got it. (level 1) and I can one shot crewman on venus. I was plays with a level 16 loki and in solo mode

I feel the need to chime in at least a bit on this. While you are definitely correct on the use of snipers realistically, I feel that it's pertinent to mention that given the games current state, when attempting to stick with realism totally destroys somethings usability, you do away with the realism. Honestly, i feel like snipers really have no place in the game as it is currently. I feel like it would be much better off just going with auto/semi auto rifles and throwing snipers in to the semi auto class, trade off the ability to spray with significantly higher damage, and maybe make them so that the accuracy is total garbage without ADS.

As it stands, a sniper for what it is, is a niche weapon in a game missing the niche. Combine that with how utterly HORRIBLE the vulkar is, and you are left with a weapon with absolutely no good reason to use, outside of simply wanting to use a sniper rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

beginner sniper and sucks more than old sniptron

Still, beginner sniper or not, it is too weak. Currently it cannot even one-shot a sawman on Mercury. That combined with the long reload makes it unusable.

The fixes for it would be to either change damage type, buff its damage slightly (so it actually one-shots sawmen on mercury) and/or reduce its reload significantly.

Of course it should still be a weak "beginner sniper" as you put it, but it should not be garbage. Currently the only incentive to get it is for mastery.

it is a Grineer weapon, and what makes a Grineer weapon authentic? That's rigt- a big mag size, and a high fire rate, with a mediocre reload. Honestly, give it 16 bullets in a mag, double the fire rate, and.... still, reduce the reload to AT MOST 3.5

4 sec reload is just stupid, even after reload mods.

Its a "beginner" sniper weapon. That means it should be good to learn the essentials of sniping in Warframe before people move on to better weapons. I think that means that any Armour Ignore / Piercing properties probably shouldn't be applied to the weapon (save them for the later Lanka, Vectis, etc). It does however need a large buff because right now it teaches players that sniping in Warframe is pointless.

I like Stafers " That's rigt- a big mag size, and a high fire rate, with a mediocre reload. Honestly, give it 16 bullets in a mag, double the fire rate "

His suggestion would make it a better weapon to learn with. In addition to a faster fire rate, a reduction in recoil would also be needed. Then even if the reload speed & damage stayed at their current awful rate it would at least be fun to fire off a few shots at important targets. It would be more forgiving of aiming mistakes and would introduce sniping. While that would need to be balanced to avoid encroaching onto the Latron it should be do-able.

I agree that the Vulkar needs a buff, but not on damage. The damage is not mediocre, you just put the right mods and you can score 4000 damage on criticals with Charged Chamber equipped.

The buff that Vulkar needs is on reload speed. The reload time need to be decreased to two seconds. Vectis have a reload of one second per shot, but do much more damage than Vulkar (175 base damage vs 125 on the Vulkar). So if the damage is left as it is (which is fine for me) the Vulkar would need a buff on reload speed so that it takes two seconds to reload instead of four, to keep it balanced with the Vectis.

I agree that the Vulkar needs a buff, but not on damage. The damage is not mediocre, you just put the right mods and you can score 4000 damage on criticals with Charged Chamber equipped.

The buff that Vulkar needs is on reload speed. The reload time need to be decreased to two seconds. Vectis have a reload of one second per shot, but do much more damage than Vulkar (175 base damage vs 125 on the Vulkar). So if the damage is left as it is (which is fine for me) the Vulkar would need a buff on reload speed so that it takes two seconds to reload instead of four, to keep it balanced with the Vectis.

vulkar should have vectis's reload speed and the vectis should take longer to reload for how much damage it does

you can put 40% mag increase on vectis and it instantly becomes the best sniper in the game >X> fastest reload fastest fire rate 2nd best damage geeze