Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My totally personal analysis on damage types.

Kaichi16

Hey. Hm. I’ll be talking some about damage types and status effects. Let’s go.

The physical ones (A.K.A. IPS[I always thought it meant “innate physical stats” lol]):

Impact:

Thanks to the new mods “hemorrhage” and “internal bleeding”, impact’s being way more interesting (because slash is one of the best status types in the game right now). Impact is also good at doing damage to shields, but… nobody cares about this. There are better options.

Impact status effect is Stagger. It staggers enemies and increases the health threshold for parazon finishers against that target, up to 80% health. It’s… good, but there aren’t many enemies susceptible to parazon finishers, so… (Why are nullifiers susceptible to parazon finishers but noxes or elite shield lancers? Nullifiers are EXACTLY as tough as detron crewmen, which means they aren’t tough at all. Corpus doesn’t have many “heavy units” and that’s okay. Don’t limit other factions for that, please.)

AHEM. Let’s move on.

Puncture:

It’s bad. MOVING ON.

Okay, just kidding. Puncture does more damage to armored targets and its status effect is Weakened. It weakens an enemy up to 75%.

Well, yeah, it’s bad. Why would we want to do more damage to armor when we have damage types that entirely bypass armor or reduce armor? Also weakening a target is not good. Unless you can weaken every single target at your sight. Please comment what weapon can do instantly/in a short period 10 stacks of puncture to a large area. Y’know something that does reduce enemy damage by 75% instantly? Equinox’s pacify. And its energy cost is pretty low. And it applies to every enemy in a large range. Yeah.

Slash:

THIS IS THE GOOD THING. There it is, claps, claps, claps. The best damage!

Slash, as a damage type isn’t that good. It deals a nice damage to infested units and unarmored grineer, but it shines with its status effect: BLEEDING. It does TRUE DAMAGE over time. It totally ignores armor!! Do I really have to say why this is great?

Now the primary elements:

Cold:

Cold slows enemies. It’s only good to make secondary elements. MOVING ON.

Oh, it can also be used as side element on eidolon hunts, I guess. NOW, MOVING ON!

Electricity:

It does more damage to corpus machines and its effect, Tesla Chain, does damage over time to enemies in a 3 meter area around the affected unit.

Electricity has some niche uses.

Let’s make it short: if enemies are near each other = good.

If they are far = bad.

Heat:

Another great damage type! Its status effect, ignite, makes enemies panic, reduces their armor AND does damage over time.

Yo, isn’t this unfair with other statuses that only have one effect? I’M NOT COMPLAINING. I LOVE HEAT. KEEP IT LIKE THIS. DO. NOT. NERF. IT. Buff other status types, please.

Toxin:

A.K.A. “did you have a shield on?” Toxin is the corpus killer, it does more damage to corpus health AND its damage bypasses shields. AND² it has damage over time status effect that also bypasses shields.

It doesn’t matter if they are robots, it you’re fighting corpus, USE TOXIN.

And the secondary elements:

Blast:

Made with cold + heat, it used to be AWESOME. Old blast status could knock down enemies, making them susceptible to ground finishers… now blast reduces accuracy, which is crap.

Listen. It doesn’t matter if a bullet has only 1% chance to hit you if it kills you on hit. Reduced accuracy/evasion works in rpgs where you are facing one enemy or a small number. Warframe has LOTS of enemies constantly shooting at you and their damage stales up to hell. It doesn’t matter if I instantly add 10 blast procs to every enemy in sight, 25% of their shots WILL hit you and WILL kill you if you’re not tank enough. And if you are tank enough, you won’t even need this 75% reduced accuracy to enemies.

Corrosive:

THE OLD KING. But it still is a great damage type. Corrosive (made of electricity + toxin) does lots of damage to ferrite armored enemies and ancient infested units, BUT its effect, Corrosion, reduce armor up to 80%!!! Less armor = more damage taken! (duh)

Gas:

This one suffered the same as blast… Gas (heat + toxin) used to deal toxin damage in a small area. It wasn’t awesome, but it was pretty fun. Now gas does gas. It’s a weaker electricity status.

(I know, gas can reach 6 meter radius, but electricity does more damage because its damage calculation uses electricity mods in the weapon, while gas only uses base damage bonuses and faction damage bonuses.)

Magnetic:

IT MELTS SHIELDS! And that’s pretty much all.

Btw, (cold + electricity)

Radiation:

As a damage type, it’s pretty much the best. Radiation (heat + electricity) does more damage to corpus robots, high lvl grineer units and EIDOLONS. Its status, confusion, is… nice, I guess? It makes enemies fight each other and increases the damage they deal to each other. This isn’t even close to being enough. But hey, it’s a good distraction. Oh Radiation also disables Ancients and Eximus auras, which's also great!

Viral:

THE NEW KING. Viral (cold + toxin) does more damage to grineer bodies and corpus bodies. BUT. Its status effect, Virus (duh), increased damage to health up to 325%. IT TRIPLES YOUR DAMAGE. It pairs greatly with slash, heat and other damage over time effects.

Void:

It exists. 

Okay, void is the "true neutral" damage type. It's not good against anything nor bad. Its effect, Bullet Attractor, creates a small mag-like bubble on enemies, which makes it easier to hit them. 

Conclusion:

Damage types are still very unbalanced. Most of them are crappy and can be ignored. Blast NEEDS to be reworked and gas needs some buffs. Puncture will still be ignored forever. Impact is only good because it can proc slash.

VS Corpus = Toxin

VS Grineer = Slash

VS Infested = Corrosive/Slash/Heat (Infested units are weak as hell, literally any damage can kill them easily. They don’t have armor or shields.)

VS Infested (cambion drift) = Corrosive/Heat (welp, at least, it's what i use lol)

What do you guys think? Did I forget something?

edit1: ty ty Lutesque , i forgot to add some radiation info xD

No, you didn't forget anything important to be honest, you made a pretty simple and straightforward article that says what we all know already about damage types.

Nothing wrong with reiterating some things though, I personally love the one bit about Void damage you posted, put a smile on my face.

Against infested I think slash does a 75% more damage to certain types of flesh, and heat is the Slash/Toxin of infested, maybe that, but no mistakes or wrong things said.

Why r u making this thread.....

I have wanted to share my thoughts a little.   All I see people want on Bro/Sis weapons is tox.   

I can see wanting stronger viral.  But I think people really under estimate having Fire or Electric especially on guns.  Build for viral and let your Bro/Sis weapons have plain Fire/Electic bonus damage.     Then again if your cool with corr or radiation as a damage type/status guns have prime electric...   I cant say which is better one strong damage type or 2 weaker ones.  If you use condition overload or galavanized status/damage  then I think more is better....  

I dont use fire alot... armor reduction is kind of a magical quality that you cant see.   Shouldnt you see your damage increase with a fire/corr weapon with each shot/swing as the armor on the target drops???   Or does it just instantly drop to 20% and thats why your damage never goes up.   Does fire stop at 20% like corrosion??   

---------

I was kinda confused with status damage over time.   Its based on the stats on our weapons??  To me status damage over time should deal a % amount of damage to the enemy.  The stronger they are the more damage they take.   Alot of status weapons have very low base damage.   This is to me is why guns were so weak in steel path/endgame.  

At the same time I sure as hell do not want the enemy to instantly drop 5-10 stacks of elemental damage on me and triggering dots that nuke me lol.  (Like worse than now!!)

-----------

Another thing I dont really know about or understand and am confused by is status type priority or that IPS thingy....

You have a weapon... it has 3 damage types.  the upper most one is like a 5 damage, the middle is 10 damage and the bottom is 20 damage..   When you inflict status it starts at the top and works its way down the list?   So the majority of the time your weapon inflict the status of the damage type that has 5 damage........ even tho logic should say that the damage type that does 20 damage represents what the weapon should be inflicting the most...... 

AKA.  Pierce 5, Slash 50,   Viral 300.........   but when you are dishing out status ailments the most often given is pierce ??? Bullcrap!!!  It should be Viral is the most common status dished out, followed by slash, and pierce very rarely. 

The sword "War" feels like a giant turd because no matter how you mod this huge giant  #$&$%& two handed sword the most common status you inflict is impact lol.  You might as well be beating guys to death with a telephone pole.   

Please explain to me why  Most damage element on a weapon isnt most common status type inflicted ????????

3 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

I have wanted to share my thoughts a little.   All I see people want on Bro/Sis weapons is tox.   

I can see wanting stronger viral.  But I think people really under estimate having Fire or Electric especially on guns.  Build for viral and let your Bro/Sis weapons have plain Fire/Electic bonus damage.     Then again if your cool with corr or radiation as a damage type/status guns have prime electric...   I cant say which is better one strong damage type or 2 weaker ones.  If you use condition overload or galavanized status/damage  then I think more is better....  

well, toxin is good because you only have to add one element and it's done. with innate toxin, you can add electricity and have a corrosive weapon, and 7 mod slots for crit/fire rate/muitishot/etc. or you can just add cold and have a viral weapon with 7 free mod slots. if you're using condition overload/galvanized status mods, i think going for magnetic or radiation is good(depending on the weapon). with innate secondary element, you can mod for 2 secondary elements + 1 primary element. if the weapon has IPS, that means 6 elements = 6 more status for condition overload/galv status. (at least this is how i think)

8 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

I dont use fire alot... armor reduction is kind of a magical quality that you cant see.   Shouldnt you see your damage increase with a fire/corr weapon with each shot/swing as the armor on the target drops???   Or does it just instantly drop to 20% and thats why your damage never goes up.   Does fire stop at 20% like corrosion??   

i just checked wikia. Fire does instant 50% armor reduction on proc. the calculation goes like this

An active Heat proc, and max stacked Corrosive proc without Corrosive Projection would result in an enemy's armor being reduced to:

(1 - 50%) × [1 - (20% + 6% × 10)] = 10%.

i like fire, its damage over time stacks like hell, even on weak weapons, if you get some fire rate, you can apply LOTS of fire procs.

13 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

I was kinda confused with status damage over time.   Its based on the stats on our weapons??  To me status damage over time should deal a % amount of damage to the enemy.  They strong they are the more damage they take.   Alot of status weapons have very low base damage.   This is to me is why guns were so weak in steel path/endgame.  

At the same time I sure as hell do not want the enemy to be instantly drop 5-10 stacks of elemental damage on me and triggering dots that nuke me lol.  (Like worse than now!!)

each element that has damage over time status calculates its damage differently. for example, let's go with heat/fire: 

{\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}{\text{Modded Base Damage}}&={\text{Base Damage}}\times (1+{\text{Base Damage Bonuses}})\times (1+{\text{Faction Damage Bonuses}})\end{aligned}}}

{\displaystyle {\begin{aligned}{\text{Heat Proc Damage per Tick}}&=0.5\times {\text{Modded Base Damage}}\\&\qquad \times (1+{\text{Heat Damage Bonuses}})\\&\qquad \times (1+{\text{Faction Damage Bonuses}})\\&\qquad \times {\text{Additional Multipliers}}\end{aligned}}}

percentage damage would break the game. people would mod for fire rate and instantly kill anything. 

i believe almost any weapon can be good/usable in steel path with the right settings. status weapons with low base damage probably have high fire rate = more status per second.

18 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

AKA.  Pierce 5, Slash 50,   Viral 300.........   but when you are dishing out status ailments the most often given is pierce ??? Bullcrap!!!  It should be Viral is the most common status dished out, followed by slash, and pierce very rarely. 

in this example, we have 355 total damage. viral will proc 84% of the hits, slash 14% and puncture/pierce 0.01%. yes, the chance to proc it is very low, but it still exists. i highly doubt the most often given would be pierce BUT the chance exists. you can have an event where you hit enemies 3 times and proc 3 puncture status on them in a row. it's very low chance, but it's possible. 

23 minutes ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

The sword "War" feels like a giant turd because no matter how you mod this huge giant  #$&$%& two handed sword the most common status you inflict is impact lol.  You might as well be beating guys to death with a telephone pole.   

yeah... i'd mod war for corrosive/heat. if its innate damage types are bad, just put good ones over it.

1 hour ago, Kaichi16 said:

Well, yeah, it’s bad. Why would we want to do more damage to armor when we have damage types that entirely bypass armor or reduce armor? Also weakening a target is not good. Unless you can weaken every single target at your sight. Please comment what weapon can do instantly/in a short period 10 stacks of puncture to a large area. Y’know something that does reduce enemy damage by 75% instantly? Equinox’s pacify. And its energy cost is pretty low. And it applies to every enemy in a large range. Yeah

Any and all Status Effects that are incapable of Dealing or Increasing Damage should be given the Gas Proc Treatment (it should be an AoE effect).... Gas on the other hand should no longer be an AoE because it actually deals damage... Thus they gotta find a new Gimmick for it...

1 hour ago, Kaichi16 said:

Corrosive:

THE OLD KING. But it still is a great damage type.

"great" is Abit of Stretch.... It's simply not Rubbish... But its far worse than it used to be.

LoL... They made it worse just because they couldn't think of a away to make it "Stack" like the others....

2 hours ago, Kaichi16 said:

Gas:

This one suffered the same as blast… Gas (heat + toxin) used to deal toxin damage in a small area. It wasn’t awesome, but it was pretty fun

Are you nuts ? 🤨 Gas was Amazing before it's Rework.... Remember Toxin had a Proc Limit but Gas didn't and it's Damage Formula caused The Faction Damage Mods to Apply their Multipliers 3 Times instead of  just twice like they did with Slash.... Tripple Dipping they called it....

(I know, gas can reach 6 meter radius, but electricity does more damage because its damage calculation uses electricity mods in the weapon, while gas only uses base damage bonuses and faction damage bonuses.)

Oh .. I didn't know that about Electricity 🤔...

Magnetic:

IT MELTS SHIELDS! And that’s pretty much all.

Btw, (cold + electricity)

If you have to Mod for it... It's kinda bad.... If you have innate Magnetic Damage on your weapon... ITS AWESOME !!! ...

Radiation:

As a damage type, it’s pretty much the best. Radiation (heat + electricity) does more damage to corpus robots, high lvl grineer units and EIDOLONS. Its status, confusion, is… nice, I guess? It makes enemies fight each other and increases the damage they deal to each other. This isn’t even close to being enough. But hey, it’s a good distraction.

Radiation... My Favourite Damage Type....

You forgot to mention that it disables Ancient and Eximus Auras... As for the Status Effect itself... The problem is Confused Enemies don't seem to have a High Enough Threat level so when you Confuse one of them even from a Distance they just keep Shooting at you.... ignoring their Co-Workers around them.

Confused enemies need to have their Threat level reach Decoy levels of Aggro especially since it has no AoE in the effect itself....

And just like with Magnetic... This is one of the best Innate Damage Types to have on your Weapon... Even more than Heat....

The reason why is because weapons with Non Combined Innate Elemental Damage are hard to mod for things like Toxin so you have to Intentionally waste Mod Slots just to get The Toxin Damage.... This doesn't apply to the Combined Types... Which is why DE rarely gives us Innate Viral or Corrosive Weapons.... Those would be too good.

Viral:

THE NEW KING. Viral

Technically Viral was The Old Kind too.... People just didn't know it at the time....

IT TRIPLES YOUR DAMAGE. It pairs greatly with slash, heat and other damage over time effects

It's actually good even on its own... Apparently after the Status Rework it was proved you could deal more damage to enemies using just Viral Exclusively... That's how Busted it is....

Void:

It exists. 

No it doesn't 😝 !!!

VS Infested = Corrosive/Slash/Heat (Infested units are weak as hell, literally any damage can kill them easily. They don’t have armor or shields.)

Haven't you been. To The Cambion Drift ?

What do you guys think? Did I forget something?

Honestly I love that you took the time to do this and do it so well too... On top of that It actually is feedback and not just yet another "Let's Play Armchair Developer" Solution Thread that you see so many of around here....not that I'm knocking those Threads... I play Armchair Developer all the time... But DE made it absolutely clear that they wanted Feedback first above all else.... 

Soooo yeah... Great Work, Tenno.... I have high Hopes 👍

2 hours ago, (PSN)Pablogamer585 said:

Nothing wrong with reiterating some things though, I personally love the one bit about Void damage you posted, put a smile on my face.

Even DE forgot about Void Damage during Status Rework... Unlike all the others.... This one never got a Stacking Change to it's Bullet Attractor.... All they did was make it neutral.... Which is Rubbish.

2 hours ago, (PSN)AbBaNdOn_ said:

You have a weapon... it has 3 damage types.  the upper most one is like a 5 damage, the middle is 10 damage and the bottom is 20 damage..   When you inflict status it starts at the top and works its way down the list? 

Nope.... All Damage Types on a weapon have a chance to Proc... The one with the highest Stat has the highest chance of Proccing.

Use Galatine Prime.... If you can find it... It's been Vaulted since forever 😱...

Please explain to me why  Most damage element on a weapon isnt most common status type inflicted ????????

It is... 👍.

Archived