Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Extra Mod Slots (Re: Vectis Zoom Level)

ChickenBar

The Vectis was one of my dream gun, bolt-action, feels mechanical, armor-piercing, looks cool, but it didn't take long for me to realize how big of an issue the zoom level is.

Sure, the public generally favor the low zoom due to the close quarters nature of the game. But consider locations like this:

vectiswideview2_by_arawndinog-d6tcgdw.pn

This is what I consider a good sniping spot.

The role of a sniper is to provide overwatch, which is beyond perfect in Endless Defense. A Snipetron does this job flawlessly: hit-scan, semi-auto, nice zoom. A Lanka does this job HORRIBLY for obvious reasons, but let's not get into Lanka since I've already lost hope and consider it more a plasma canon than a sniper rifle.

Then the Vectis came in. Bolt action, hit-scan, armor pierce. Seems perfect, but consider this:

Snipetron Vandel:

snipetronvectisref2_by_arawndinog-d6tcgd

Vectis:

vectiswoeagle2_by_arawndinog-d6tcgdj.png

I can't even see the green dot on the door!

Use Eagle Eye mod you say, sure, but consider this:

Vectis with maxed Eagle Eye Mod:

vectisweagle2_by_arawndinog-d6tcgdo.png

As you can see, even with a maxed Eagle Eye, Vectis' zoom level doesn't even come close to the Snipetron's.

Even. Even Vectis and Snipetron would have the same zoom when Eagle Eye is maxed in Vectis, would anyone sacrifice all these sweet damage/crit mods for a zoom mod? No one, I presume.

This also ties to the issue where no one is using all those "poor" mods such as Warm Coat and Antitoxin. Another reason for DE to add more mod slots, which is why, in my opinion, this issue is (one of the) priority and more slots should be added.

And it's not about "oh Vectis is meant to be a different kind of rifle with a different play style". Vectis IS already a vastly different animal compared to Lanka and Snipetron, there are 0 reasons that the zoom level of Vectis has to be hindered too.

These are a few solutions that I hope DE can consider:

approach A:

1. increase Vectis zoom level a tad bit so we can have the same zoom level as Snipetron after Eagle Eye is equipped.

2. add a couple "Utility Mod Slots" specially for mods like Eagle Eye.

Consequence: might displease some low zoom sniper fans.

approach B:

1. do not increase Vectis zoom level, buff Eagle Eye mod.

2. add a couple "Utility Mod Slots" specially for mods like Eagle Eye.

Consequence: none. perfect solution IMO.

approach C:

1. increase Vectis zoom level to match the Snipetrons.

2. make Eagle Eye mod ADJUSTABLE, so that we can adjust it to our liking.

3. add a couple "Utility Mod Slots" specially for mods like Eagle Eye.

Consequence: people will need to farm Eagle Eye to have the low zoom back.

Am I sinned because I want more zoom? I definitely hope not. It's all about player's preference, and this low zoom level contributes nothing except ruins the experience and a sniper's dream. as you can see I did suggested to add extra Utility Mod Slots, of course it would be cool if they are for free, but honestly I'd use whatever amount of formas just to perfect this rifle to something I truly enjoy.

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Although I tried to clarify as much as I can, members seems to take it the wrong way. NO I'm not bashing people who prefer low zoom, I'm merely suggesting a method so we can have a CHOICE and at the same time be as fair as possible among all Vectis users. thanks.

Edited by ChickenBar

I have sniped on this map with the Vectis, and I enjoy the longshots, and as much as I would like a higher zoom on this map, on all other occasions, the lower zoom of the Vectis is better. Maybe they should buff eagle eye, or have a variable zoom on sniper rifles, but the current zoom of the Vectis is fine as is.

don't touch that zoom level on Vectis. i'll fight you. literally. 

it's the only Sniper Rifle i can truly use effectively. even if it's Hitscan nature means i miss 30% or more or my shots. the zoom on the other Sniping weapons is just absurd. 

and yes, we do need a mod slot or two revolving around Utiliy, with only Utility mods fitting in those slots. 

as for zoom, i STILL think the best option is to remove those zoom mods, and have a weapon specific zoom level we set. if you want 95x zoom on your Bronco, go ahead, but it's damn useless. 

would need to be a wide range, between 1.0x, and idk, something like 16 or 20x.

anywhere in between. out to one (possibly two) Decimal places.

we'd also need that shooting range Dojo room for this too, so we can test things ;)

and here's hoping that shooting range has an Arsenal Terminal in it, so you can change on the fly. 

Edited by taiiat

Yes, let's add more mod slots untill we can just equip every mod and remove any kind of decision making involved with builds.

Or, perhaps we should make all the mods viable. Eagle eye could easily have more ranks to give extra zoom to those who want it.

My full opinion: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/127460-mods-reviewed/

Edited by CubedOobleck

Just a suggestion, counterstrike has 2 zoom levels on the snipers... Id like an option to have 2 zoom options, and zoom be toggable, if you get me...

I agree that Vectis is deceiving when aiming at those distances, and for those who actually enjoy camping and sniping, that zoom makes it unenjoyable.

I have sniped on this map with the Vectis, and I enjoy the longshots...

in other occasion you wouldn't bring a sniper rifle would you? excuse my tone, but the fact is that you can pick better weapons for other occasion and Vectis is not meant to be an all round good weapon. I understand lots of people likes the low zoom, hence the title.

don't touch that zoom level on Vectis. i'll fight you. literally...

the effectiveness highly depend on the range. with the range shown in my screenshots, i doubt the Vectis being a sniper rifle will be effective.

as much as i would LOVE to make zoom adjustable by default, it may be unfair to people who actually fuse Eagle Eye if DE ever decide to remove them.

Yes, let's add more mod slots untill we can just equip every mod and remove any kind of decision making involved with builds...

Agreed to 2nd statement, and I also agree with your opinion on double stat mods vs rare mods like Metal Auger.

Just a suggestion, counterstrike has 2 zoom levels on the snipers... Id like an option to have 2 zoom options, and zoom be toggable, if you get me...

glad you agree.

The zoom level on Vectis is PERFECT...

again as shown in my screenshots, how is Vectis viable? no offence but you are missing the point of this post. the point is that the optimal zoom level highly depends on users preference and the situation, making it a the same zoom as a Latron really makes it unsuitable for long range. and we called it "ideal of ranged take downs", huh.

Change mouse wheel to adjust zoom level while in aim mode. Problem solved.

again this would displease people who fuse Eagle Eye.

Eagle eye seems more like a bandaid, or a not sniper rifle mod. Snipers should have a zoom you can toggle, or even use the mouse wheel to adjust, maybe giving it 3 different zoom levels and as you slide it, it alternates between, keeping the last level chosen set whenever you aim again.

Rifles having a zoom mod to improve them at the loss of damage is ok, snipers already have a big disadvantage that is 1 shot at a time, and compensate with great damage. Not having the zoom already as a pre-set is just not thought out.

don't touch that zoom level on Vectis. i'll fight you. literally. 

it's the only Sniper Rifle i can truly use effectively. even if it's Hitscan nature means i miss 30% or more or my shots. the zoom on the other Sniping weapons is just absurd. 

and yes, we do need a mod slot or two revolving around Utiliy, with only Utility mods fitting in those slots. 

as for zoom, i STILL think the best option is to remove those zoom mods, and have a weapon specific zoom level we set. if you want 95x zoom on your Bronco, go ahead, but it's damn useless. 

would need to be a wide range, between 1.0x, and idk, something like 16 or 20x.

anywhere in between. out to one (possibly two) Decimal places.

we'd also need that shooting range Dojo room for this too, so we can test things ;)

and here's hoping that shooting range has an Arsenal Terminal in it, so you can change on the fly. 

Agreeance- five!

that is actually a great idea. in my opinion sniper rifles should definitely have this privilege.

We have already weapons with certain stuff pre-set to them. So having it pre-set isn't wrong, just feels as if its right to fill in the gap sniper rifles aren't fulfilling 100% atm, even with mods.

again this would displease people who fuse Eagle Eye.

Not really, Eagle Eye would still be useful. It would allow snipers to zoom in even further and allow weapons without zoom to have it. 

A mousewheel zoom would just allow you to zoom in and out within a weapon's set zoom range, so a weapon can be aimed in close quarters or distance. Eagle Eye would make that distance range greater. 

as much as i would LOVE to make zoom adjustable by default, it may be unfair to people who actually fuse Eagle Eye if DE ever decide to remove them.

too bad. the mod serves no purpose in the game. it's a complete bandaid. 

and it's an Uncommon 3 anyways, the Energy investment is so miniscule that a couple matches will get you the Fusion Cores you spent on it.

so whatever. if people will get butthurt that 20 minutes worth of mod upgrading gets removed for the better of the game, they clearly can't handle Video Games. 

If you're willing to screw around with it, you don't HAVE to max out the mod. You could simply level it up so something that feels "right" and go with that. 

I don't have a zoom button when I play. It's hip-fire city over here. 

• 1 month later...

Why not have the mod for eagle eye buffed, extra mod slots yes, and nothing changes with the weapons. Also obtaining more mod slots for weapons and frames cant be as easy as an update but rather something that you have to do. Like my idea is to take something that is useless and make it useful, for example excess mastery ranks beyond ranks 8-10. But if you want to make it more harder to obtain these,(this sentence is directed to DE) then you can use a forma to reset its level but gain an extra mod slot.