The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Leeching Frequency Since Last Event On The Rise.

relaxin

Leeching got bad during the most recent event. I would have guessed that those doing the leeching would have stopped or somehow tapered down usage of this parasite behavior, but it's looking like it's getting worse! Are there any open threads on known offenders? Can one be started?

Leeching got bad during the most recent event. I would have guessed that those doing the leeching would have stopped or somehow tapered down usage of this parasite behavior, but it's looking like it's getting worse! Are there any open threads on known offenders? Can one be started?

nope, no name pointing, and i dont think its against the rules, but sure really shows how you are

much like concieving babies in the backyard, its wrong but its not against the law

these situations do exist. they are edge case and usually not a big deal. 

I've had a number of them crop up doing Cyath (Eris)

Frosts' hiding in the corners in a snowglobe and only attacking what comes at them (or not at all)

however, it is somewhat rare. and i've seen a dropoff since the event. (inverse to what OP stating)

but again, this is my personal experience, not the rule.

that said, i'd love to see some form of mitigation to these issues.

the "reputation" system is a black hole so far, i have found no details as to what "teeth" it has built-in

personally, i'd love a full-on blacklist system but we'll see what happens.

Edited by xethier

Not to sidetrack too much, but I'm not even sure what is considered "leeching" in this game anyway. Not doing anything and just letting your squadmates finish for you? I don't know, the way the game is at least they need to keep moving or they'd be overwhelmed. To be honest though I've actually just tailed the group in many missions where if I didn't I would've been speedrunning the level and I wasn't feeling like rushing everywhere (or couldn't since slow rhino is slow.) Plus to collect stuff from the lockers, right? Is that "leeching" too? In public games it's often just speedrun anyway and most often on higher levels you'll get some Nova or someone with an acrid just tearing through the level anyway so why compete?

Not to sidetrack too much, but I'm not even sure what is considered "leeching" in this game anyway. Not doing anything and just letting your squadmates finish for you? I don't know, the way the game is at least they need to keep moving or they'd be overwhelmed. To be honest though I've actually just tailed the group in many missions where if I didn't I would've been speedrunning the level and I wasn't feeling like rushing everywhere (or couldn't since slow rhino is slow.) Plus to collect stuff from the lockers, right? Is that "leeching" too? In public games it's often just speedrun anyway and most often on higher levels you'll get some Nova or someone with an acrid just tearing through the level anyway so why compete?

nah, you're good brother. as a patient / methodical player i've been in this exact situation myself, many times.

they obviously don't care about what you're doing so go do your thing.

he's (i believe) referring to people who are systematically trying to get rewards by not actually doing anything.

here is a classic example of what he's talking about:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119278-100-bp-at-end-of-mission-here-is-what-you-do/

nope, no name pointing, and i dont think its against the rules, but sure really shows how you are

much like concieving babies in the backyard, its wrong but its not against the law

Being name called and getting moral judgements from parasites would be ok with me. Somehow I don't find it a bother.

Being name called and getting moral judgements from parasites would be ok with me. Somehow I don't find it a bother.

Someone could name and shame you, which given how forums operate, would mean you'd have no way to actually defend yourself short of recording every second of computer usage (And for some, you'd be lying still). People would harass and insult you, and likely get you killed intentionally in-game. Edited by Sidathe

Someone could name and shame you, which given how forums operate, would mean you'd have no way to actually defend yourself short of recording every second of computer usage (And for some, you'd be lying still). People would harass and insult you, and likely get you killed intentionally in-game.

beat me to it.

name-and-shame is a recipe for griefing. which (for the most part) is low-frequency in warframe. (it does exist however)

i, for one, am glad that this rule is in place.

Someone could name and shame you, which given how forums operate, would mean you'd have no way to actually defend yourself short of recording every second of computer usage (And for some, you'd be lying still). People would harass and insult you, and likely get you killed intentionally in-game.

I'll guess leech and afk players are too lazy to bother. Even if they could be bothered to play and take out their grudges on me, I'd be willing to chance the challenge, I'm well practiced and my equipment needs the usage.

Well seeing how leeching is actually the best way to gain experience in warframe it's hard to beat that argument and actually help your teammates kill as much enemies as you can in Mobile Defense so everybody benefits more.

ex. Nova using Molecular Prime to kill anything and everything over and over causing a flood of enemies would net you experience to your warframe and your weapons (though it is divided evenly between the 4) and for the Nova to only receive Warframe experience.

Which sucks but it is true, leeching is the best way to obtain experience

The event was boring at best and since it lasted for a whole week... if it didnt burn players out it sure made them appreciate the afk game. I ,myself did afk a few matches and went for a smoke.... but public games are just THAT.... pug's! what do you expect?

If you're tired of Pug's join a clan and get to know a few good players and create dedicated groups for running content! not to go offtopic.... but i hate nova rushers and vauban bouncers more than the afk'ers since they are actively destroying my pug sessions.

Leeching happens because Nova kills everything in a single stroke, so why care to shoot at enemies? Just sit in some corner and wait for the xp to run to your gun. You can alt+tab to forum posts while she is doing all the job for you.

If you are whining about it, ask for removing Nova from the game then.

beat me to it.

name-and-shame is a recipe for griefing. which (for the most part) is low-frequency in warframe. (it does exist however)

i, for one, am glad that this rule is in place.

tbh nothing is stopping players for maintaining a site themselves with a simpel text file getting updates by who ever... Nothing DE can do about that.. so it could easy be done. I for one run a Webserver myself and only my laws/internal laws apply there.

Edited by Chloroment

The event was boring at best and since it lasted for a whole week... if it didnt burn players out it sure made them appreciate the afk game. I ,myself did afk a few matches and went for a smoke.... but public games are just THAT.... pug's! what do you expect?

If you're tired of Pug's join a clan and get to know a few good players and create dedicated groups for running content! not to go offtopic.... but i hate nova rushers and vauban bouncers more than the afk'ers since they are actively destroying my pug sessions.

how are they destorying your session they are DPS/support frames... its you that are destorying their game cause you cannot keep up.. you can turn this against you also.. and thats why we come back to the seperation of ranked players. and the system where you could put yourself as a rusher or a explorer player.... in that way we would avoid this crap.

Edited by Chloroment

this thread seems to have become 'people play differently than i do and i don't like it', instead of being constructive about how to handle leechers.  A list seems like a useless idea - what are you going to do with it?  You can't really plan to avoid players much in this game, and you can't kick people out of a mission.

It would be better to remove the purpose of leeching.  For instance, no longer give guaranteed blueprints on a boss map, but limit it to people who have moved from the starting area (I can sympathize with players who get lost in a room, or fail at making a jump, but if you're in the first room when the map ends, you just aren't trying).  Also rework the affinity system so all of the affinity is distributed across all of your gear, that would help avoid the problem of making leeching the most effective way of leveling weapons.

Also, simply talking to the other players can help.  Alot of players probably don't even realize they're being totally useless, and that they could be more helpful by doing something else (like say, a loki using decoy to distract enemies).  Before you damn other players, talk to them about their behavior, and provide tips on things they may want to do in order to be helpful.  For instance, if someone is falling way behind, teaching them about sliding/coptering so they can move faster.

Leeching happens, because leeching is the best way to get Affinity with the game's broken Affinity/XP system. You get better rewards by not killing things yourself.

So, best way to do it? Don't kill anything.

I can't stand not killing stuff.  So I'll follow, even with Frosts and Novas wrecking the place, trying to nail some poor Grinny or whatnot.  Usually fail, but  I show up on the boards (usually dead last, but at least I have a score!)