Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endless Extermination, with a twist.

ByroSphere

Thinking that it could work  like a normal extermination mission at first with you needing to kill a number of enemies, but then spawn a new set of stronger enemies across the map, with new areas unlocked complete with whatever RNG loot that could be found in their respective tilesets (maybe there could be some void shenanigans as an explanation if a door from Saturn lead to a tile set from Mars, for example). Could also be fun if a boss was spawned for every 10 extermination rounds with a high chance of dropping a rare item, with there also being the factor that the amount of bosses that spawn will increase by +1 for every 30 rounds you do. 

The map traversal sounds cool, it would reduce the "content island" problem. I think DE would have to do a lot of work to support this though. Their whole design is built around "content islands". It would also be hard to support on last gen consoles (or low-end PC's) with their limited resources.

It's possible to mitigate this somewhat via switching off which map areas are accessible then. Like maybe just disabling a few tile sets just as some new ones become available, while then saving the bigger switch offs for when the player reaches a Boss room, with newer area being loaded in the background whilst you fight the boss.  

1 hour ago, (PSN)isbergen said:

The map traversal sounds cool, it would reduce the "content island" problem. I think DE would have to do a lot of work to support this though. Their whole design is built around "content islands". It would also be hard to support on last gen consoles (or low-end PC's) with their limited resources.

(Elite) Sanctuary Onslought is like this. It just have timer & constant spawn.

Works fine on low-end pcs unless you have low RAM.

6 minutes ago, quxier said:

How about 8GB shared system/GPU RAM and an HDD? Because that's what last gen consoles have (and forget Switch, it's like a PS3). 

And yes ESO is kind of like what he describes, but it's a set # of tile sets. 4 or so? The tile sets are not endless and not random.

14 minutes ago, quxier said:

(Elite) Sanctuary Onslought is like this. It just have timer & constant spawn.

It's slightly different since it makes use of arena styled maps, while what I had in mind is more along the lines of linear/expansive areas you can find in normal Extermination missions.

There is also the whole deal with that you are forced into a strict timelimit directly tied to how fast you can kill any enemy around you... While part of the motive for an Endless Extermination, is so that one can just play around and fight endlessly spawning enemies at your own pace. 

10 minutes ago, (PSN)isbergen said:

How about 8GB shared system/GPU RAM and an HDD? Because that's what last gen consoles have (and forget Switch, it's like a PS3).

I'm running win 8.1 with same setup. Only issue is some kind of "locked" memory that I have to remove from time to time. Works fine... If I had defragmented my game cache even better.

Not sure about consoles but it should be enough.

12 minutes ago, (PSN)isbergen said:

And yes ESO is kind of like what he describes, but it's a set # of tile sets. 4 or so? The tile sets are not endless and not random.

I haven't beaten ESO too much but it seems to be random but they randomize it not every time you play it.

6 minutes ago, ByroSphere said:

It's slightly different since it makes use of arena styled maps, while what I had in mind is more along the lines of linear areas you can find in normal Extermination mission.

There is also the whole deal with that you are forced into a strict timelimit directly tied to how fast you can kill any enemy around you... While part of the motive for an Endless Extermination, is so that one can just play around and fight endlessly spawning enemies at your own pace. 

Just change maps, remove timers etc. The core idea is there already.

3 minutes ago, quxier said:

I haven't beaten ESO too much but it seems to be random but they randomize it not every time you play it.

The tile sets have a set order and change every week. And I think they repeat after Rotation C. So there's only a set #. Can't say for sure though because I've only been past rot C a few times.

1 minute ago, quxier said:

Just change maps, remove timers etc. The core idea is there already.

Yeah, in otherwords it totally could be a thing, but it would be different enough that it could be a separate game mode from the Onslaught we got now.

10/10, great suggestion, I like it, would play it, shouldn't even be hard to implement.

It would be very similar to survival, but I would actually like it better, because it would have stages, breaks in the action and progression through an environment. and none of the life-support shenanigans.

One way I can think of that would give this gamemode a sense of level progression, while at the sametime keeping the level from being too big or samey.... Is by having the level literally grow as you play. Like say maybe it just start off as a relatively small arena styled map, but then with each round you clear, more randomly generated tilesets will be added, and enemies spawned throughout it. With this expanding round upon round until it reach a certain threshold that is meant keep the map from being too big, at which point the tilesets that are the furthest away from the player, will be swapped up from different ones.

So sooner or later you might end up playing a completely different map than what you started with, all with changes that are gradual enough that it wouldnt take too much from low spec systems, with the best part being that it's set up as an extermination mission where you are encouraged to go across the whole thing, instead of just camping in a single spot.

14 minutes ago, ByroSphere said:

Like say maybe it just start off as a relatively small arena styled map, but then with each round you clear, more randomly generated tilesets will be added, and enemies spawned throughout it. With this expanding round upon round until it reach a certain threshold that is meant keep the map from being too big, at which point the tilesets that are the furthest away from the player, will be swapped up from different ones.

Even normal maps are sometimes "too big for AI". It's not fun to run 500 meters to kill 1 enemy.

It might not be very fun to run 500 meters just to kill 1 enemy... But what if you had to kill enemies all the way throughout thos 500 meters? I mean, it is best when the amount of enemies you gotta kill is proportional to how spacious the map is.

I could see some issues with asset loads getting a bit out of hand as the map expands and dips into other tilesets. ESO has two advantages: it uses just one tile and it guarantees unloading the last tile by kicking out stragglers. For this, assuming it's a totally linear map, you'd have to keep things loaded from the player in the back up to the player in the front. Might work fine solo, but with groups able to spread throughout a map...

That said, that has me thinking of something. Connections need to use the same tiles across players to keep people from walking through walls or into space or stuff like that, relative to other players. Doors need to be shared, right?

But if you have repeating tiles - like, say, a spiral walkway running through the Unum tower - that consistency loading isn't required as much. The doorways will always be in the same place, so you won't see people walking out into space. That means you can keep everything local, i.e. relative to the player. If someone's on layer 1 and someone else is on layer 6, the host wouldn't need to have tiles 1 through 6 loaded in order to ensure consistent connections throughout the map. The design of the tile guarantees consistent connections. Indeed, everyone would just have to load their own tiles, and the host would manage particulars with positioning and affinity and such.

But what can make that even more interesting is that, because so much of that is local, you can go crazy with things. There might be a box for one player but not for another. One player might use some Grineer theme, and another player might use a Corpus one. You can even have players with independent enemy instances, which could provide a bit of an incentive for healer frames, what with not being able to nuke or CC the compatriot's problems away. As long as you build up the in-universe technical jargon for what's going on, you could have some real good fun with that.

On 2022-06-03 at 4:33 PM, Lutesque said:

You literally just Described ESO... 😐

If by ESO you mean Sanctuary Onslaught, it ain't the same thing, because it doesnt involve going into a portal in small rooms, where you gotta have a steady kill rate to keep going. It's more like just playing extermination, but with the map getting bigger/altered as you kill all numbered enemies before next round, with bosses every other milestone.

1 hour ago, ByroSphere said:

If by ESO you mean Sanctuary Onslaught, it ain't the same thing, because it doesnt involve going into a portal in small rooms, where you gotta have a steady kill rate to keep going. It's more like just playing extermination, but with the map getting bigger/altered as you kill all numbered enemies before next round, with bosses every other milestone.

So Mobile ESO then ? 🤔

I mean I see the similarities to ESO, but it would feel much different. ESO feels fake because it's just Simaris' construct, and the endless flood of enemies starts feeling like a simulator after not very long... idk, would much rather play an extermination mission than ESO, if I had to pick between them. I don't find ESO particularly fun, I just play it to level stuff. And like he said there's the whole cloud over your head regarding efficiency and ability clamping... nicer to play without all that.

Archived