The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Diary Of A Heartbroken Tenno

Gigatron-Prime

Those trailers sure seem awesome with that cool team synergy and Rhino bashing stuff and Trinity Orthosing everything. However, once I'm in game its just another shooter. Im not sure if I should be angry or cry. Or both. Ninjas play free? Stealth is non existent. Melee is far inferior to a gun. Overall this game is just another shooter with the guise of something different. 

What is this post about? Well, as a longtime player and a new PS4 player with my friends, I've just come to realize that a lot of the things we've accepted are just so erroneous.

When my friend asks me about stealth I shrug and say "All you'll need is your gun dude. This isn't like the trailer at all." Instantly I die inside and feel bad. I remember that same kind of naivite I once had when I was a newb. She promptly charges ahead, sword raised to block enemy fire like she's led to believe in that epic Vor trailer (We all remember which). Again, I am torn inside as I watch my friend get blown away. I walk up with my Loki blasting everything in the face with my Braton. "Thanks", she says. 

"No prob. The blocking in this game doesn't really do anything. Just use your gun."

"How do I roll?" She asks. I check the menu to be sure. "Press R1 I think."

Up ahead we run into a platoon of Grineer. I take aim and watch as my friend charges ahead again. "Wait!" I yell.

She tries to do some fancy evasive moves in between the enemy as she tries to slice everything with her Skana. A Shield Lancer rushes her. Instinctively she raises her sword to block but is blown back. Swarmed and surrounded, she falls again.

"Listen, if you want to get through this mission just use the gun for Christ's sake."

I see a tear roll down her eye. She looks at me.

"I just thought-I thought this game was different." I look away ashamed. "I know."

Pressing the PS button, she picks Killzone from the menu. 

"Let's play a different shooter." A different shooter she says.

A different shooter....

A different shooter...

WARFRAME was just another shooter.

Edited by Gigatron-Prime

The need to make rolling actually viable, such as allowing only 25% of shots that would hit you otherwise, actually hitting.  I also think the parry, reflection and other block based mods should be melee, not warframe.  Stealth is going to be made more viable with xp gained from stealth kills and stealth scans for the codex giving you more xp.  I wouldn't say this is just another shooter, but there are so many mechanics available that could be built on to differentiate it further.  Remember, this is still beta, so things will change a lot.

Edited by Starfreak911

Though it's true certain aspects like the dodge mechanics (and the whole maneuver mechanics), as well as melee system and how it affects enemies/bosses should be revamped altogether (they are currently working on the melee system as well, and hopefully it's a good start for revamping it), you kind of forgot to point out specific things to your friend.

She's a new player. Her Frame's still low ranked and he doesn't have the necessary mods to make himself sustain heavy firing. If she's going to be "balls to the walls," of course she'll fall. It's by working further that you discover how you can really use your Warframe's powers to compliment both your gunning and melee.

Even so, it's often not enough in long-term, and many things about core mechanics lack quite some polish and depth, especially the melee and blocking system. Making Warframe mods to "enhance" some base elements like blocking, or rather make it a tad bit useful, is really a bad move IMO and just pushes the problem even further aside.

By the way, I'm a heavy user of melee as my Trinity. Even without Blessing and simply using Link, I can really carry well against most enemies to help my team. This makes me crave even more for deeper system besides the shooting.

I'm sure DE will keep working on them and figuring out how to make it work, and constant feedback's important

Edited by Casardis

Though it's true certain aspects like the dodge mechanics (and the whole maneuver mechanics), as well as melee system and how it affects enemies/bosses should be revamped altogether (they are currently working on the melee system as well, and hopefully it's a good start for revamping it), you kind of forgot to point out specific things to your friend.

He's a new player. His Excalibur's still low ranked and he doesn't have the necessary mods to make himself sustain heavy firing. If he's going to be "balls to the walls," of course he'll fall. It's by working further that you discover how you can really use your Warframe's powers to compliment both your gunning and melee. Even so, it's often not enough in long-term, and many things about core mechanics lack quite some polish and depth.

I'm sure DE will keep working on them and figuring out how to make it work, and constant feedback's important. I really appreciate your post and the experience you shared because it does imply some flaws the game has.

I know that she and I are both low levels but my friends a complete newb to the game. The tutorial is really quite lack luster and this is the mentality I would suspect many new players to be having. I don't want them to give up on it just yet, but I can't exactly tell her to go read the Wikia for an hour to learn every nuance needed to survive.

Edited by Gigatron-Prime

Uh huh.... Are you sure you aren't upping the drama level, just a little bit? 

Regardless, the message remains the same.

Warframe needs to have some serious soul searching done to the game, because alot of very key, important, and cool things are not really being given the attention they should be getting right now. 

I know that she and I are both low levels but my friends a complete newb to the game. The tutorial is really quite lack luster and this is the mentality I would suspect many new players to be having. I don't want them to give up on it just yet, but I can't exactly tell her to go read the Wikia for an hour to learn every nuance needed to survive.

Nah I agree. I've criticized the tutorial a few times, and I'm also thinking they need to have a tutorial section in the Codex that teaches basic mechanics specifically in text form + a thumbnail showing a looping video (so you don't have to replay the tutorial completely each time, to practice one aspect or revise it).

This has been done in several games I believe, and Warframe could really use something like that

However, the best you can do FOR NOW, while giving suggestions in the forum and help those active topics that has great ones (to stress the issues), be as helpful as you can with new players that have the chance to have a veteran friend playing with them (one of my friends recently joined and I did lots of explaining as we played, introducing him to the Void and sharing certain secrets/puzzles it has; he's now very self-reliant).

While the game's developing, it's up to us as well to do our best in our ways.

You're using Hyperbole and projection and you know it.

Ok, you, a Trinity, genuinely use Galatine all the time. Good for you. It's the strongest melee weapon by far, so why not?

Meanwhile any pistol when properly modded is doing more damage from a safer distance, although that shouldn't matter to you becuase you spam Blessing.

Don't try and BS with me and say melee is ok, even with galatine.

Man it would be great if you settled on one gender in the OP instead of it changing at the end (Again).

I love how some people caught the edit before modified too.

It would be nice if stealth and melee gameplay was better, especially at early levels. Also LOL at people suggesting Galatine, as if new players are going to have it. Wow.

You know a good ninja doesn't get hit. If you want to run into a wall of gunfire and shrug it off then play Rhino.

Evasive maneuvers don't help much against hitscan bullets.

Edited by Volume

Those trailers sure seem awesome with that cool team synergy and Rhino bashing stuff and Trinity Orthosing everything. However, once I'm in game its just another shooter. Im not sure if I should be angry or cry. Or both. Ninjas play free? Stealth is non existent. Melee is far inferior to a gun. Overall this game is just another shooter with the guise of something different. 

What is this post about? Well, as a longtime player and a new PS4 player with my friends, I've just come to realize that a lot of the things we've accepted are just so erroneous.

When my friend asks me about stealth I shrug and say "All you'll need is your gun dude. This isn't like the trailer at all." Instantly I die inside and feel bad. I remember that same kind of naivite I once had when I was a newb. She promptly charges ahead, sword raised to block enemy fire like she's led to believe in that epic Vor trailer (We all remember which). Again, I am torn inside as I watch my friend get blown away. I walk up with my Loki blasting everything in the face with my Braton. "Thanks", she says. 

"No prob. The blocking in this game doesn't really do anything. Just use your gun."

"How do I roll?" She asks. I check the menu to be sure. "Press R1 I think."

Up ahead we run into a platoon of Grineer. I take aim and watch as my friend charges ahead again. "Wait!" I yell.

She tries to do some fancy evasive moves in between the enemy as she tries to slice everything with her Skana. A Shield Lancer rushes her. Instinctively she raises her sword to block but is blown back. Swarmed and surrounded, she falls again.

"Listen, if you want to get through this mission just use the gun for Christ's sake."

I see a tear roll down her eye. She looks at me.

"I just thought-I thought this game was different." I look away ashamed. "I know."

Pressing the PS button, she picks Killzone from the menu. 

"Let's play a different shooter." A different shooter she says.

A different shooter....

A different shooter...

WARFRAME was just another shooter.

Drama queen story much? And a true tenno combines both mele and guns. Also you cant expect to do everything in the trailler without even having mods on.. If she is that impatient to not even give the game a fair chance and you did not use the good judgement to ask her to then why are you making this thread?

Evasive maneuvers don't help much against hitscan bullets.

Again why would you charge into melee when there's a group of someone's pointing guns at you?

Why wouldn't you dodge into cover, sneak along from another angle then pop out behind them?

Again. No one advertised you can charge into a wall of gunfire.

Again why would you charge into melee when there's a group of someone's pointing guns at you?

Why wouldn't you dodge into cover, sneak along from another angle then pop out behind them?

Again. No one advertised you can charge into a wall of gunfire.

I didn't have that problem but some other people are used to God of War / Devil May Cry / Darksiders / etc. where you can soak a lot more damage than you can in Warframe (At least to begin with).