Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Impact and puncture rework ideas.

(XBOX)Lord ChibiVR

So I decided to list my idea on how puncture and impact can be made more viable right now in the meta.

Right now, both are pretty underwhelming, and puncture doesn't even work in any sort of realistic way.

Starting with puncture, here is how I would change that:

Hitting an enemy and applying a puncture proc leaves a weakspot similarly to Sonar or Spores. The weakspot will cause a reduction in armor and deals extra damage to shields. Idk how much this would scale, but anything at around 75% or higher max would work. (90-100% armor strip and up to 2x damage to shields would be optimal.) Hitting a puncture proc will also allow that bullet to bypass the enemy making it hit multiple enemies.

Now for my suggestions to rework impact (this was much harder to come up with): 

First, impact retains its previous properties, because it fits in with what impact should do.

Second, because you are using impact, you basically are brute forcing through the enemies, so my idea is to make a % of the impact damage bypass the armor (think of it as the direct damage counterpart to toxin like how slash procs bypass armor as a DoT).

The percent is about 5% for each proc, theoretically capping at 50% making half of your damage effectively true damage. (Alternatively it could be 10% armor bypass capped at 100% but only for impact damage because of my reasoning behind this idea.) The way this would make sense is that you are effectively crushing the enemy under their armor, so while the blow is softened, the pressure from it isn't.

It scales because your repeated attacks cause the armor to dent, making all the pressure from your impact on the enemy, effectively crushing him like he didn't have any armor to stop the blow in the first place.

If these changes were implemented, these physical damage types could play a role just as large as slash in the meta, balancing most of the weapon pool.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Idea

what if Puncture, had a damage bonus when used against armor?

and for Impact, ... how about shields?

now each damage type is useful for dealing Raw Damage, one vs grineer, one vs corpus

...oh wait, they already do that.

-there's more to damage types than just the Status Procs.

Why would I use them when Slash procs ignore armour completely, and Toxin damage and procs ignore shields completely? Why shouldn't we make Puncture and Impact competitive with Slash instead of leaving them as dump stats? (And no, using Internal Bleeding as a crutch to make Impact valuable is not a solution)

2 minutes ago, Pakaku said:

Why would I use them when Slash procs ignore armour completely, and Toxin damage and procs ignore shields completely? Why shouldn't we make Puncture and Impact competitive with Slash instead of leaving them as dump stats? (And no, using Internal Bleeding as a crutch to make Impact valuable is not a solution)

Cascadia Empowered

shifts the main DPS source from the DoT to the Immediate Hit

proc effects become a lot less important than the damage type multipliers

I like the idea of IPS (well, just puncture and impact really) having more useful procs. For years Slash has been king. I think it's time to make the other two actually useful. 

I have similar ideas, except my ideas for the procs are the inverse of yours. 

- Impact, being the brute force proc, would allow weapons/abilities to deal more damage/increase enemy vulnerability to damage.

- Puncture would pierce through enemy resistances, be it shields, armor, or % damage reduction, allowing a % of damage dealt to completely bypass them to deal damage directly to health.

On 2022-07-10 at 6:27 PM, Skoomaseller said:

I like the idea of IPS (well, just puncture and impact really) having more useful procs. For years Slash has been king. I think it's time to make the other two actually useful. 

I have similar ideas, except my ideas for the procs are the inverse of yours. 

- Impact, being the brute force proc, would allow weapons/abilities to deal more damage/increase enemy vulnerability to damage.

- Puncture would pierce through enemy resistances, be it shields, armor, or % damage reduction, allowing a % of damage dealt to completely bypass them to deal damage directly to health.

I had the same idea for impact, but realized it would be too close to viral damage. That's why I suggested that impact procs make a % of impact damage bypass armor instead which would indirectly increase its damage and allow you to brute force with it like you do with slash.

As for puncture, the reduction would work, and the armor reduction is also already part of my idea, only you need to shoot the parts of the armor you actually punctured.

Archived