Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Do We Even Bother With Melee Weapons

Pendragon1951

I was wondering today how much do we really use melee weapons, this is not counting those of you who zoren copter for movement. If you look at the type of combat that happens which is most of the time medium to long range it kind of makes carrying weapons like the Galintine and Orthos dead weight. I believe if anyone does use them it's mostly to level them up at some point. I have both the above mentioned weapons but I will go many missions without even using them because they are just not practical for the type or style of combat inherent in this game . Other than having them for the "cool" factor or for helping to raise your mastery level they almost seem redundant. 

I use them either for stagger purposes, to conserve ammo, to end a slide-while-shooting maneuver, AoE jump attacks, or the finisher.

Or in obex's case...SUPER MAN!

In conclusion: QUITE A BIT OF MELEE

But really, staggering an enemy with freeze-slow effect is a nice temporary meat-shield

Edited by Syzodia

have u heard of the volt fang beserker build its a fang with beserker and a volt with high power strength and high duration and its amazing because of how speed synergizes with single attack weapons 

but maybe thats because i come from a spectacle fighter background i dunno

I'm not complaining at all, I'm just stating that melee weapons for this game seem redundant because most of the time we kill at medium to long range, or we use are powers, which I forgot to mention. I understand the reason they have them is in keeping with the Ninja theme but that does not make them any less redundant.

I guess I just look at this in a practical way, do I want to get closer to an enemy just to kill him with my cool melee weapon and maybe get swarmed or knocked down or do I just kill them with my Soma or my Rhino Stomp. I know we all have different styles, it was just a thought that came to me as I was not using my melee weapon:)

I find myself pulling out melee weapons very frequently if enemies get in my "bubble" (not Snow Globe, personal bubble).

Can I say that it is worth closing a gap between you and your enemy to melee?  Unless you have the Galatine for a quick knockout, absolutely not, especially against Grineer.

I can understand why you may think melee is redundant in this game with the amount of medium to long ranged combat that goes on.  However, there will always be enemies that manage to get in your face or you run into, and that is when melee weapons can find their usefulness.

Sure shooting them is easier, but just mowing everything down with soma is a little boring. Melee weapons add a lot to the game for people that use them for fun, effect, or both.

CC like kogake. Fast slide attacks to finish off an enemy on your way by. Getting into the middle of a group with a jump attack before aoe'ing them with an ability. My melee weapons probably only account for 5% of my total damage, but that's not to say I don't use them often.

You've got your cause and effect wrong, OP. Combat happens at Med-Long range rather than Close because melee weapons are bad, not the other way around. If Melee weapons were more powerful, or had better utility, then they would be used more often. However, currently they're not worth the effort. When they become worth the effort, people will start fighting at close range more regularly.

It's there for fun.  That's why I use my melee weapon.  The effectiveness is another issue.  Melee weapons are less effective if your Warframe can get knocked around before it can complete the swing.  Depending on the AOE of the weapon and the enemy level, melee is essentially a zero energy, small AoE nuke.  If it can not kill in one or two swings, it can still be used to stun, stagger, or knock down enemies, depending on the weapon.  One player can lock down an area while the rest do damage.  So, you get more team effort and a form of active defense.  That can be fun, especially in a coop game.

The point is choice. If we went by your argument that powers can kill everything, this would be a space wizard game.

Exactly my point. It is boring enough with everyone using SOMA SOMA SOMA or ACRID ACRID ACRID and people rant about melee?

What kind of ninjas are we without a goddamned sword??