Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion for New Free Roam on Mars

terianflows

I don't know where to say this, here it goes. Free roams have proven to be a rich mine of content. I have a suggestion for a new free roam.

It could be based in Mars, and regarding the people of Baro who were apparently massacred at the end of the Sands of of Inaros quest: "The survivors withdrawn underground and rebuilt themselves, and have now re-emerged in the High Desert of Mars and have driven out the Grineer from a large sector. It turns out that this all was financed by Baro, who has been running guns for them, and now is recruiting Tenno for the Struggle. The desert dwelling Martians are adept at guerrilla tactics, and have various mounts. Also, efforts are underway to acquire custom Necramechs from the Entrati. But the Grineer are doggedly confronting this insurrection, because Mars is essential for the Kuva supplies needed by the Queen and he Lichs. The Kuva must flow!"

Of course, it would be great to see how DE adapts this not-Arrakis setting with not-Fremen, and doing RP as the not-Muadib maybe in at least a few peoples bucket list.

I just had to get this idea off my chest. I would like to know if there are others who think this is a good idea.

edit: fixed a few typos

I'm sick of these fake 'free roam' areas.

Not interested in seeing a new one until DE fixes them so you can truly 'free' roam without being interrupted by Host Leaving, or someone else starting up a bounty that affects everyone else's activity.

There needs to be dynamic proximity based matchmaking in these areas. -you can wander around doing your own thing, and by coincidence see other player who happen to be nearby and invite them to share activities impromptu.

Just like a Relay, or Cetus HUB, except outdoors and active.  Just like Destiny/2 does their planetside activiites.

DE will never focus on existing content because that's not where the money is, and DE is a business first and foremost. Blame yourselves for this situation where nobody will pay for existing content updates, only new frames, new big maps, and new shiny.

As for the free roam mechanic of host migration etc, there's nothing can be done about that unless you want to pay for a dedicated server instance. Just go solo into all free worlds, unless you match-make in the dedicated match-making section - Eudico, mother and konzu are there for exactly that reason.

I like the idea though, free roam on mars (and then, the entire origin system!) Maybe we can gun-run to the rebels using those railjack raid mechanics DE has talked about bringing back.

On 2022-11-15 at 8:47 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

I'm sick of these fake 'free roam' areas.

Not interested in seeing a new one until DE fixes them so you can truly 'free' roam without being interrupted by Host Leaving, or someone else starting up a bounty that affects everyone else's activity.

There needs to be dynamic proximity based matchmaking in these areas. -you can wander around doing your own thing, and by coincidence see other player who happen to be nearby and invite them to share activities impromptu.

Just like a Relay, or Cetus HUB, except outdoors and active.  Just like Destiny/2 does their planetside activiites.

This would probably require servers. Warframe mostly uses Peer to Peer. You can see how glitchy everything gets in relay when there's tons of players during Baro visit and add using and abilities into that....

I mainly run open world solo to do my thing whatever that will be so there's no issue about starting bounty or host migration.

I like OP's idea desert open world could be interesting since it would be different from current open worlds and Mars always has interesting look. 

3 hours ago, (PSN)IdoThea said:

This would probably require servers.

Destiny/2 manages to make it work, without servers. They're also using P2P, difference being they actually programmed it competently.... the matchmaking is dynamic, and adapts to players disconnecting with minimal disruption -rather than push everyone into a loading menu when the current host leaves, you just split off into your own mini perspective of reality (other players might appear to ghost thru walls or lag as the data stops, but You Don't)

Warframe's problem, is that DE only has like 1 really good network programmer; they put all their eggs into one basket so to speak and focused the rest of the team on 'content' and graphics because that was a big money maker for them....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-11-23 at 2:25 AM, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Destiny/2 manages to make it work, without servers. They're also using P2P, difference being they actually programmed it competently.

You're grossly misrepresenting what Bungie is doing with Destiny.

"Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology, just like Destiny 1. The server is authoritative over how the game progresses, and each player is authoritative over their own movement and abilities."

That is the first thing I found when googling if Destiny 2 uses Peer-to-peer. 

Here is a quote from one of the community leads for D2;

" Matt: Every activity in Destiny 2 is hosted by one of our servers. That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center. To understand the foundation on which we’re building, check out this Destiny 1 presentation from GDC. Using the terms from this talk, in Destiny 2, both the Mission Host and Physics Host will run in our data centers."

Soooo, yeah. To do what you're requesting would require servers to do seeing as Bungie has dedicated servers to deal with exactly what it is you're talking about.

Source; Destiny 2 using hybrid of P2P and Client servers (a90skid.com)

Bungie addresses Destiny 2 dedicated servers concern | Eurogamer.net

5 hours ago, (PSN)FunyFlyBoy said:

You're grossly misrepresenting what Bungie is doing with Destiny.

"Destiny 2 uses a hybrid of client-server and peer-to-peer technology, just like Destiny 1. The server is authoritative over how the game progresses, and each player is authoritative over their own movement and abilities."

That is the first thing I found when googling if Destiny 2 uses Peer-to-peer. 

Here is a quote from one of the community leads for D2;

" Matt: Every activity in Destiny 2 is hosted by one of our servers. That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center. To understand the foundation on which we’re building, check out this Destiny 1 presentation from GDC. Using the terms from this talk, in Destiny 2, both the Mission Host and Physics Host will run in our data centers."

Soooo, yeah. To do what you're requesting would require servers to do seeing as Bungie has dedicated servers to deal with exactly what it is you're talking about.

Source; Destiny 2 using hybrid of P2P and Client servers (a90skid.com)

Bungie addresses Destiny 2 dedicated servers concern | Eurogamer.net

not a problem

because Warframe *does* have servers that could be repurposed for this

the Relay Hub Trackers

as Real open worlds and dynamic matchmaking would take over the function of social hubs, those relays would be redundant anyway.

they're probably on the lighter side, so a bunch of physics processing would have to be done clientside (which makes lag descynching as well as hacking a potential issue, but srsly who cares, lesser evil)

Archived