Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Frost Rework - The Cold Touch of Death

(XBOX)Ivan of Jupiter

Frost is in an unfortunate state IMO. When only 2/4 of the Warframe’s kit is somewhat useable, there’s a problem. just gonna throw out my ideas for a modern Frost.

Passive: this 100% needs to be changed. His passive is near useless, especially considering Frost’s already stellar CC. Most enemies don’t get the chance to melee Frost. I’d like to say just retroactively make Biting Frost the passive, but I’ll come up with something new. Enemies effected by a cold status effect have a 50% chance of freezing when coming within 20m of Frost. Freeze lasts for 10s and cannot be reapplied this way for 7s. If an enemy isn’t frozen this way, has 7s before it can have another chance at freezing. Using Frost’s abilities still freeze even if his passive freeze is on cooldown. Frost doesn’t have to be the one to apply the status. Somewhat similar to his current passive, but updated to be more consistent, reliable, and effective. This will also help his passive synergize well with its augment on its own, rather than being a bandaid for a terrible passive.

Freeze: Update impact radius from 3m to 5m and have it be affected by range mods. Nuff said. It’s a first ability, doesn’t need to be too flashy, but does need to be in line with other similar first abilities. This will also be a cheap way to spread cold so his passive can get to work.

Ice Wave: This is where things are going to get spicy. Updated Ice Wave will have a kill threshold. This threshold is unaffected by mods. For Frost it will be enemies at or below 50% health. For other Warframes this becomes 25%. This only happens at the moment of casting. Lingering effect of Ice Wave Impedance cannot trigger kill threshold.

Ice Wave Impedance: Same effect, but also applies cold for every second the enemy is in the wave. Lingering field also now does cold damage every second.

Snow Globe: No changes. I would love the old Snow Globe back, but I can understand why it shouldn’t. Snow Globe remains one of Frosts defining abilities, I can’t think of a reason why it should be changed. That being said its interaction with Freeze could be tweaked. In addition to dealing damage, force procs cold and 5 stacks of puncture. Enemies are literally being impaled by shards of ice at high velocities. Puncture is also just an underrated Effect. It’s super helpful, but hard to justify modding for in most cases, so having an ability that does so is chefs kiss.

Avalanche: Great ability, but slow to cast. Change its base casting speed. Takes far too long to go off. Frost players shouldn’t be forced to use Natural Talent or Amber Shards to make this ability comfortable. We’re already expending 100 energy base as it is. Make Icy Avalanche a part of base Avalanche, but just for Frost, with the augment being able to give it to the team. Improve effect of Icy Avalanche overall. Maybe if an enemy is killed by Avalanche, doubles the effect? So instead of 60 for that one enemy it’s 120?

These are just some thoughts and ideas. If you read, thanks for doing so.

I would say buff his globe so that it isn't immediately killed by nullifiers (similar to some other abilities where it takes percentage damage) and also allows attachment to objects/allies similar to Frost Eximus walking around with their globes. I feel like a warframe shouldn't have worse abilities than a random enemy. Maybe even add the ability for allies to shoot through it however they like.

As a QoL change, I would also allow holding the button to input energy for more health rather than having to recast a dozen times.

For Avalanche, I would actually include Icy Avalanche for teammates as well, 100 energy for only (non-grouping) CC and strip is kinda ridiculous, especially with the cast time. I also think that's more fun than improving the cast time. I would also make Icy Avalanche care about your armor, it's not like the shield effect is very big.

Ice Wave is... special. I would alter it so that it boosts Frost's armor by a percentage of his max shields for every enemy hit. Frost has always been a weird boy in that his kit seems to want high armor, yet he has high shields. This synergizes the two, and also synergizes with his globe and his 4 after my changes.

His 1 is hard. I think it should max out cold stacks for any direct hit, be capable of CCing higher tier targets similar to Khora's ensnare, and have either Freeze Force built in or cause damage amplification similar to Nezha's Blazing Chakram (though with a lower multiplier and/or an increased energy cost from 25).

His passive should almost certainly be Biting Frost. I just don't think any other alternative is interesting or sensible. I think his other abilities can or should cover things outside of damage, and especially this redesign of mine has done it that way so it's at least the only real choice for my picks.

Further, I would also give Frost (Prime) some base stat bumps, specifically to his energy capacity, armor, and (for Prime specifically) sprint speed (being that other Primes reach 1.0).

Il y a 2 heures, (XBOX)Ivan of Jupiter a dit :

Ice Wave: This is where things are going to get spicy. Updated Ice Wave will have a kill threshold. This threshold is unaffected by mods. For Frost it will be enemies at or below 50% health. For other Warframes this becomes 25%. This only happens at the moment of casting. Lingering effect of Ice Wave Impedance cannot trigger kill threshold.

My great problem with Ice Wave is on its own description in game : "Sends a wave of razor sharp, crystallized ice toward an enemy, dealing heavy damage. "... OK, razor sharp... but no Slash damage at all ??? If a wave of Razor Sharp crystallized ice makes the same damage type as Freeze, the fact that they are RAZOR SHARP is absolutely useless. A wave of snow balls would be more adapted to an exclusive Ice damage ability.

Il y a 2 heures, (XBOX)Ivan of Jupiter a dit :

In addition to dealing damage, force procs cold and 5 stacks of puncture.

Snow Globe has one of the best damage potential in the whole game, making huge True Damage and scaling very well, but it's not that easy to take advantage on it. Also, the Eximus rework just made it impossible to kill them with Snow Globe while Overguard is active.

It can work with Viral, or in a suad with Rhino or Nova (she is the best in my opinion), Nezha, Yareli or any other frame that gives damage buff :

Archived