Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat Disconnects - Connection forcibly closed by remote host (ERROR: 10054)

Brick

Greetings,

Don't know if this is the appropriate category for this, but...

For the last week month or so I've been having this issue. Sometimes this happens as soon as I log in, other times chat functions normally for a few minutes and then disconnects and has the little dot spinning in a circle in the top left corner. This sometimes resolves itself after a few minutes and chat functions normally again, other times it persists throughout my session and chat is unusable. Below is an image of the error message that pops up:

UmqkSc2.png

In this case chat was working for a few minutes, long enough for our alliance message to pop up, then it disconnected.

Not sure if this is an issue other people have too or just my internet connection being weird, I searched the forums before making this post and saw 3 posts/comments about the same error code (listed below):

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1330126-error-10054-en-el-chat/#comment-12660169

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1334473-bug-fixes-improvements-i-would-actually-care-about/#comment-12685648

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1330525-shard-bane-ephemera-shuffles-shard-positions-around/#comment-12662664

Edited by Brick

• 3 months later...

Have the same problem since years. Had contact to support but felt like asda callcenter and ignoring that I've checked everything.

First time this showed up I was confused. Searched for fix but no luck. Stayed to this day.

If someone wants to read my ticked here it comes.

https://uploadnow.io/f/d33mBt7 

PDF which you can read on the site without downloading (play button on the right side).

So disappointed that it's still not fixed. And no, the problem is not on my end. ;)

2 hours ago, Ecuador said:

So disappointed that it's still not fixed. And no, the problem is not on my end. ;)

This issue is generally related to an ISP configuration, whether it be equipment they're leasing you (a modem or router) or their back-end. Many users have stated using a VPN solves this for them, meaning it's not an issue with the chat servers. I'd either try that, or contact your ISP and have them look into it further. I've personally had this issue when using a horrible Spectrum leased modem, and was only able to solve it by getting a different one. I haven't had the issue since then, and only on that specific equipment.

It's weird that two of three Pc's in the same network work fine and have no chat issues in WF. Only mine has. And they're using standard settings ingame. Meaning standard ports etc.

Router is official one from ISP itself. And as far as I understand Steam's EULA it is not allowed to use VPN. So it seems I have to ask ISP.

• 1 month later...

and what are we supposed to ask the ISP?

If they know the Warframe specific error code? I highly doubt that an ISP will be able to help with such issues. I have this problem for years meanwhile and Warframe is pretty much the only game that has such chat issues. And when looking at how many topics exist just on this forum (and probably even more tickets) this does not appear to be an isolated problem. This seems to be pretty wide spread. 

But assuming that it is in any way somehow a compatibility issue with the router or ISP then just alone im my country there are potentially ~26mio people that essentially could run into the same problem (if they would play warframe of course). But like I said... strangely other chats in other games work just fine without any such issues.

Edited by OP-R8R

20 minutes ago, OP-R8R said:

If they know the Warframe specific error code?

Error 10054 is not specific to Warframe, it's used system-wide and refers to a connection loss (generally forcibly closed by the remote host). It's generally due to an incorrect firewall configuration of sorts, blocking the connection from establishing.

20 minutes ago, OP-R8R said:

But assuming that it is in any way somehow a compatibility issue with the router or ISP then just alone im my country there are potentially ~26mio people that essentially could run into the same problem (if they would play warframe of course). But like I said... strangely other chats in other games work just fine without any such issues.

It's usually a certain modem or network topology or config that can cause it; like I stated prior, I had one specific modem that caused it for a few months myself. If you're leasing equipment from your ISP, you could get them to give you a different one that might resolve it, or have them perform some network route tracing to see if something on their end is dropping the connection to the chat server.

Other games may implement chat services differently - this one uses IRC protocols, which are not very common in other games anymore. It's possible DE did this for Warframe early on due to their involvement with Unreal Tournament, which from a quick search seemed to also include some IRC-based chat functionality. That's probably why this only happens in this game, because they use a different protocol.

Edited by Naroxas44
typo :(

I ran across the same firewall explanation so I tried it with deactivated one. Same result.
I could try if I get similar timeouts when connected to other IRCs. If the connection remains stable the problem is most likely specific to warframe only.

Reading post of other players which have this issue pretty much shows that calling the ISP is wasted time.

Edited by OP-R8R

37 minutes ago, OP-R8R said:

I ran across the same firewall explanation so I tried it with deactivated one. Same result.

The issue could be with how the router or modem's firewalls, or even backend ISP server firewalls, are configured too. It honestly varies. Sometimes a VPN resolves this by changing the network route entirely, which is why I recommended to try it if possible (Steam does not ban the use of them in general, only for bypassing regional currency or DRM for legality issues would they take action, in regards to the person above).

37 minutes ago, OP-R8R said:

Reading post of other players which have this issue pretty much shows that calling the ISP is wasted time.

It's annoying sure, but I don't see Warframe implementing updates to their chat framework or changing protocols when it works for the majority of people. This issue (and networking in general) isn't usually as simple as "game isn't working it's the devs fault, pls fix", so getting some form of network troubleshooting in place via the ISP would help. If they say nothing is wrong then it could be escalated to DE's support via ticket, so that they're made aware of the issue if it's widespread. Otherwise, support is gonna have you go through the exact same troubleshooting steps of identifying if it's your network or system or not.

Edit: One of the linked posts by the OP also has this excerpt, which I agree with:

On 2022-12-10 at 11:34 PM, sly_squash said:

Chat Error 10054
This is a common problem where a user is disconnected from the chat server but doesn't realize it until they try to send a message, after which they get this error message and chat auto-reconnects to the chat server.

While disconnected the user is seen as "offline" by users trying to invite or DM them. They also don't receive updates in their active chat channel.

Normally this is ultimately the fault of the user or the ISP, but DE makes it dreadfully difficult to diagnose and fix.

Edited by Naroxas44
additional info

I had it really bad.  I found it helped me stay connected if there were constantly messages popping up in my active chat channel.  Wound up joining a large alliance just so the chat was active enough I could predict when I was actually DC'ed and know when to reset it with a dummy message.  When I idled waiting for trades, I made sure Trade Chat was my active channel, which made disconnections more rare and easy to identify.

Mine got fixed by upgrading my router.

Edited by sly_squash

For testing purposed downloaded mirc yesterday and connected to the first chat room i was able to find. No errors no disconnects. I repeated the procedure today with a empty room to test an idle state. No error, no disconnects for hours.

• 8 months later...