Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Corpus Railjack missions done right

Tesla_Reloaded

I think most people agree that the Corpus railjack missions suck. And suck a lot. Because railjack itself plays minor role in the mission and serves as a mere "taxi" to deliver players to the actual mission that has no difference from the normal missions.

Here are some of my ideas on how to fix it, how to give a railjack the main role it deserves. Very likely other people suggested something similar before. But if this topic could help to bring attention of DE to the problem I think it'll be worth of trying.

Railjack defense:

Railjack starts a mission with a defense target (some sort of a device) or VIP aboard. The mission goal is to protect it. The mission fails when Railjack is destroyed or the defense target is killed.

The mission proceeds as normal defense. Enemies spawn in waves: fighters, crew ships, but also random ram sleds in large quantities that attack Railjack.

Several random POIs are placed on the battlefield. A POI may have a positive or negative effect.

Positive effects are disabled by default, but can be enabled for certain amount of time by boarding the POI and performing certain actions.

Positive effects may include: def target healing, Railjack shield boost, automatic turrets that assist Railjack and so on.

Negative effects are enabled by default, but can be disabled for certain amount of time by boarding the POI and performing certain actions.

Negative effects may include: tractor beam that slows down Railjack, a cannon that deals damage to the def target directly, speed boost for fighters and ram sleds and so on.

Railjack survival:

Railjack starts a mission in hazardous environment (similar to a void storm). Could be a cloud of corrosive gas or solar radiation flare. Enemies are spawning constantly like in a normal survival mission.

The life support of Railjack is failing and players must kill enemies to pick up life support packs dropping from them.

Also life support can be replenished by boarding POI and performing certain actions in them. This opportunity has a cooldown and after POI has been activated and life support was replenished a certain amount of time should pass before POI can be activated again.

Hull breaches and boarding parties are causing life support to decrease twice as fast.

Mobile defense:

Railjack starts a mission within a spherical "safe zone". The area outside of this safe zone is hazardous and deals damage to the railjack. The safe zone starts to move on its own across the map and the railjack must stay within it. The enemies are constantly attack the railjack.

From time to time the safe zone approaches various POIs. POIs can be boarded and captured for boosts. Boosts may include: increased size of the safe zone, railjack hull repair/reinforcement, various stats boosts.

From time to time the safe zone passes through asteroids and constructions, forcing railjack to navigate through tight caves and narrow passages.

Mission completes successfully once the safe zone together with the railjack within reaches its destination.

I think the next step for railjack is to introduce Sentient nodes/proximas.   They can experiment with the missions/structure/balance on a small scale.  Just like they do with open worlds.   Then they can go back and try to try to apply the successful stuff to the previous areas.   

No matter what they do its gonna take a full dev cycle.  I think its worth it...if I was in charge my next 3 things I would tackle is..

• Relic void fissure revamp ( mainly the removal of crap missions from the list, removal of crap tiles,  adding massive variety into the tile selection for all tiers,  trying to fix enemy spawns in some mission types and adding reactant to universal loot for all void fissures and not just railjack)
  • Railjack (balance, mission types,  mechanics,  introduce sentient proximas and nodes)
  • Uhhh i forget my third most important thing lol.  

Archived