Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Older Weapon Types Need Love

Mentally_Mechanical

I've been playing for a spell, and have come to realize a disheartening trend, that pretty much everybody else has too: some types of weapons, both ranged and melee, have been severely neglected.

I'm not specifically referring to individual weapons, though some melee categories do fall under that, I'm talking about classes; dual swords, nunchaku, dual pistols, things like that. We've been getting a slew of new and shiny weapons lately, but the older ones kinda fell to the wayside. Oh what I would give for a new sword, or even something simple like a new nikana stance, just something.

I'm not really suggesting anything here, just wanted to get that thought out of my mind and maybe see what others think. Would you also like older weapons to get some more attention, be it buffs or stances?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

Isn't this what Incarnons do?

Incarnos are meant for individual weapons & families (e.g. skana, prisma skana & skana prime).

Instead of something like Genesis adapters I would like mods or new system that adds stuffs for all weapon types. For example I get mod that stops melee combo timer and I can put it into any melee.

Or

2 hours ago, soiyourboi said:

have been severely neglected.

Not only old one... new one as well. You get 3 new melee types: Assault Saw, Heavy scythe and 2x Nikana. You can say that Saw is bad but at least they have tried something new (slams 2x attacks & riding attack => block + moving).  Take Heavy scythe and 2x Nikana. They are just.... melees with different names. There is nothing unique in them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (NSW)BenHiraga said:

Isn't this what Incarnons do?

No, not really. I mean actually looking at the weapons and stances and whatnot themselves, not just slapping yet another new feature on them. Things like new stance mods, better stats, something to make each type unique and worthwhile, that's generally what I mean.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Im a long time shill for stances. I used them as intended in 2.0 even (RIP Final harbinger, the greatest stance of all time before it was murdered)

Some melee weapon really do need new stances. Not just Dai-katanas, but like,scythes, sparring weapons, brawling weapons (also rip Gaias tragedy, and its x14 ora oraoraoraoraora combo) and hell stuff like blade and whip.

Im a sucker for niche weapons that have actually pretty impressive stats, but fall into unused because of the weaponstype (Like againw ith sparring weapons and brawling weapons, due to rech issues)

Some of the stances need touchups too, like one of the dagger stances literally only having a forward attack and neutral attack, no blocking combos at all.

isk, Ifeel super strong about stances. I iss some old stuff and I want it to be brought forth again.

Also I would give up the entirety of melee 3.0 just to have final harbinger back again.

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel the same with stances (i don't think a single polearm/staff stance has a full set of combos) and honestly, I think melee 3.0 kinda screwed up. I miss how melee weapons used to work, both practically (though being able to perform combos whenever is nice) and just in terms of how they feel. I liked how switching weapons wasn't instantaneous, and holster animations actually meant something other than just how the weapon stores. If i could, I'd go back to how that worked without even a second though.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have a good assortment of 2h Nikana now, but they desperately need a new stance mod, for all that is holy. Wise Razor is tired.

I can't recall the last time I heard of someone using a rapier, but I guess they can be zaws so they're fine.

Countless melee weapon classes have become one-and-dones, or taken years between new releases. Is the newest glaive still Xoris?...

I do wish they would pay more equal attention to the other weapon types instead of doting on the same ones or introducing new one-offs. I like the incarnon system breathing new life into some old favorites, but it's still not the same as getting a new weapon or stance.

• Like 1