The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Please revert the shadow nerf to the Sobek (Acid Shells) It is now terrible. Why?

owendawgx

Now Acid Shells has EXTREMELY harsh damage falloff over range. What was previously able to clear whole groups with just a few kills against unarmored enemies now might as well be a wasted mod slot.  Acid Shells ONLY FUNCTIONS against totally unarmored enemies at higher levels, and is still slower than an equivalent AoE launcher with the same support. It was not overpowered. The lack of damage falloff is the only thing that made it worth using. 

Please revert this change. It serves no purpose, the Sobek didn't need to be balanced in this way. I am really astonished at the balancing mentality at play here if a niche gun with low usage that required Warframe support to function was nerfed. There is no reason for it to have damage falloff. Plenty of other weapons have low or no damage falloff where the Sobek with Acid Shells now seems to have 60%+ on a mod that already can only deal 45% of an enemies max health in an AoE. 

It also seems to sometimes not trigger at all now.

Thanks. 

EDIT:  It's possible that the issue is the damage falloff beginning and reaching its max much sooner, whereas previously it fell off, but at a further range. Either way it's notably weaker than it was a few months ago in testing. 

Edited by owendawgx
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

When was this change made? I didn't catch it in patch notes. So saryn and sobek isn't useful now?

Saryn Toxic Lash still functions, but the AoE seems to have very steep damage falloff so your mileage may vary

• Like 1

21 hours ago, owendawgx said:

Now Acid Shells has EXTREMELY harsh damage falloff over range.

Even more harsh?  I remember it being bad before.  According to the wiki, it's 0% at 15m, and that note was put in a couple of years ago.  Hard to get worse than 0%. :P  Do you mean it's not even going out to 15m?

• Like 1

On 2023-06-27 at 10:10 AM, Tiltskillet said:

Even more harsh?  I remember it being bad before.  According to the wiki, it's 0% at 15m, and that note was put in a couple of years ago.  Hard to get worse than 0%. :P  Do you mean it's not even going out to 15m?

Hmmm. I don't have footage of what it was like before this but I know previously under identical circumstances pretty much the entire set of 20 enemies in the simulacrum testing spawn area would die, maybe not those on the very edge of its range. Its possible the falloff distance has been shortened? So it decreases quicker? Tested again today and even the enemies ~2 meters away from the killed enemy don't take anywhere close to 45% of their HP in damage (same enemy, no armor.) And they should be taking more because I have faction damage equipped. 

Edited by owendawgx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, owendawgx said:

Hmmm. I don't have footage of what it was like before this but I know previously under identical circumstances pretty much the entire set of 20 enemies would die, maybe not those on the very edge of its range. Its possible the falloff distance has been shortened? So it decreases quicker?

Lots of things are possible. 

I did look at it briefly though, and seems to me it's reaching out to about 15-16m.  Without a cascade causing multiple damage instances it's  a very weak effect at that range, but that's what I'd expect from the wiki description.    And the explosion has issues punching through bodies, but again, that's talked about in the wiki.

Sorry, I just haven't used the weapon enough to say more than that.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Found this thread because I recently pulled my Sobek out for a level 30 mission and I could notice a huge difference. In the past I was reliably able to clear packs of enemies with a few shots of the Sobek with the acid shells mod pulling a lot of weight. Now acid shells hardly does anything. I was actually wondering if I even had the mod equipped at the start of the mission. I'm thinking this must be a bug rather than an intentional nerf because it doesn't really affect the Sayrn build that much, it just makes it unusable in lower level missions.

• Like 1