Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Enhanced Graphics Engine Live On Nintendo Switch With Abyss of Dagath

[DE]Juice

Hello Switch Tenno!

With the release of Abyss of Dagath, Warframe on Nintendo Switch now exclusively uses the new Enhanced Graphics Engine! With Enhanced, players enjoy features that are only available with it, such as a new GI volume lighting system, decal system, tattoos, facial hair, and more that help raise the overall quality of Warframe. The next major update in 2023 for Warframe “Whispers In The Wall” was built on all of the features and tools it provides to create a stunning visual experience!

Switch is the last platform that needed to be brought onto the Enhanced Graphics Engine, allowing our teams to focus on working with one graphics engine rather than two (Classic AND Enhanced). It has been the default setting for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X for quite some time, and for PS4 and Xbox One since Citrine’s Last Wish earlier this year. With Abyss of Dagath, it is now the standard across all console platforms with the retiring of the Classic Graphics Engine.

Due to the Enhanced Graphics Engine’s base settings having a higher quality than the Classic Graphics Engine does with settings enabled, and to ensure performance, the following settings are not available on Nintendo Switch:

• Motion blur Returned in Hotfix #4 -- After reviewing feedback, we have returned it to allow Switch Tenno to toggle it on/off as desired to allow for more control over FPS on their console. 
  • Local Reflections
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Depth of Field
  • Bloom
  • Ambient Occlusion

To give you a better idea of what to expect from the Enhanced Graphics Engine if you aren’t already familiar, here are some quotes and examples from Steve’s original post:

Enhanced (formerly referred to as ‘Deferred’) is a complete redesign to achieve more accurate reflections and give us the ability to utilize dynamic lighting and shadowing across the entire game.

Enhance! This is where the new rendering engine excels. It renders out the attributes of the scene (colors, glossiness, shape) to offscreen buffers. After this, proper dynamic lighting costs hardly more than those terrible glow sprites we’ve used in the past. For realtime shadows, what the light sources ‘see’ are cached and reused when nothing changes. All lighting and reflection probes are stored in a 3D camera voxel texture and applied in single passes where the costs grow linearly, proportional to their size on screen, without incurring huge CPU and GPU penalties to ‘draw the whole world, again and again’.

And an example of the before/after:

Spoiler

Plains of Eidolon Before:

POE_Before.png

Plains of Eidolon After:

POE_After.png

You can read Steve’s full post from 2020 in detail here:

This change should see improvements to many areas of the game, but with any technology upgrade there is a chance of graphical or performance issues as well. We ask that you share any bugs and feedback you have with regards to the Enhanced Graphics Engine here, so we may find it and address it easier. Please note that changes regarding graphics may require our cert process, which you can read about here.

Thank you Tenno!

• Like 6

For me the game without motion blur is very strange and hurts my eyes. I guess it's because on switch the game runs at 30 fps or less and the motion blur helps hide this "lack". Or maybe it's just me who has to get used to it, but when in doubt I'll write it down in case there are other players who think like me. I apologize for any errors, I'm using Google Translate.

• Like 4

It's not strictly unplayable without Motion Blur but I really don't like it. It is at least less bad to look at on a smaller screen, whether that's the Switch in portable or my laptop when playing through a capture device, but docked play on a large TV is very unpleasant in the way that everything judders around at a low framerate. I don't think I can adjust to not having motion blur to take the edge off of these harsh images and with Crossplay due soon I'm not going to try.

I'm lucky that I have the alternative platforms to hop over too, particularly PC where Steam Input with the right settings and compatible gamepad can emulate motion controls really well.

• Like 3

I hope DE would put back motion blur. It's so diffrent without motion blur and with nintendo switch. Tried playing it on handheld and TV, it hurts my eyes. I got used to playing warframe with motion blur since they launched warframe in nintendo switch. Now it doesn't feel right without it

Please put back motion blur option 

Edited by (NSW)KevUrqruico
  • Like 3

I understand the need to tone down a lot of the graphic options for the outdated hardware of the switch, but the new configuration doesn't work for the low framerate available. 

Without Motion Blur the gameplay feels totally different. Now we can't hide the low performance anymore and it plays like a PS2 game. I don't think many new players will be drawn to the game if it plays like this. 

• Like 4

yeah much as I hate to say it, I could do without everything else *but* motion blur, and truth be told bloom was also nice. It gave the *illusion* of the switch having decent graphics, and now that illusion is completely shattered, I know the switch isn't really designed to keep up with this new engine, but to be honest I would prefer more push on my Switch's processor to having to see frame rates this bad and graphics this, painful to look at. It's even worse than just motion blur at this point, bloom is gone, nothing lights up properly, the warm glow of lanterns we placed in our dojo is gone and replaced by lifeless yellow paper marshmallows with no real glow, the lighting in various dojo rooms doesn't hit the grass. There are no reflections, no lighting works, I could maybe live without the motion blur but even the lighting is screwed up now. This feels almost like an attempt to force switch users to change consoles. It's not unplayable but it just feels atrocious to look at, even colors don't seem to show accurately.

Edited by (NSW)TheLastChimaeradraugen
  • Like 2

I was going to say that I quite like the increased visual fidelity (playing whicle docked) after the new update. the colors pop and it doesn't have the slightly washed out look.

That said, I do miss the motion blur and DOF when zooming in.

I think these new settings will grow on people, especially the resolution bump (unless its some sort of magic reconstruction, but i can tell its a lot more clean docked) I also do hope that over time, some effects can be added back into the game, like the old engine didn't start out with volumetric lighting , and was missing lots of reflections originally.

Question: Is this to prep for the Switch 2 build of Warframe? :)

Edited by (NSW)Dekusuta
  • Like 2

The lack of motion blur makes camera movement look like a stuttery mess. Is this new renderer even using DRS, or some sort of image reconstruction methods? While DRS was harsh on the old one, it so far seems to handle performance stability a bit better. Then again, this is a bit harsh, and narrow minded of me to say since this was JUST released.

It is nice to see a more stable resolution instead of the noisy pixels from shifting resolutions. I've also seen harsher animation rate cuts to enemies that are literally on top of me as well than the old. Not entirely sure if that was intended, nor am I trying to make this a bug report either lol. I've even seen harsher performance dips so far, but nothing super serious compared to the old renderer.

Ambient occlusion being gutted was VERY noticable on boot as well. It makes too many areas seem much brighter than they are, and some areas looking flat. Hopefully these cuts are worth the effort, and would be great to make performance better if possible than the old renderer if that's not a pipe dream.

Best of luck with the Switch version, and hopefully these effects are not fully off the table in the future if possible.

Edited by (NSW)Master2873
Fixed a word.
  • Like 3

As a Switch Player (and one who plays primarily in handheld on his Switch Lite) I applaud the render update. 

I’d love to see digital foundry do an analysis of the update, or at the very least a technical breakdown of what has changed - I think it would be fascinating.

I do miss DOF - but that’s it. The improved resolution and clarity is great. And for all those saying they miss motion blur… really? Literally the first option I removed (apart from atmospheric lighting, as it made open worlds not super enjoyable).

I'm anxious to see how it looks when playing docked on my OG Switch.

• Like 3

My first impression is basically positive. The image looks better and less blurry overall. 
The performance seems a bit worse, but still playable as expected on Switch.
Motion blur as an option would be good for those who like it, but for me this is also the first thing I turn off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (NSW)Calli2213 said:

As a Switch Player (and one who plays primarily in handheld on his Switch Lite) I applaud the render update. 

I’d love to see digital foundry do an analysis of the update, or at the very least a technical breakdown of what has changed - I think it would be fascinating.

I do miss DOF - but that’s it. The improved resolution and clarity is great. And for all those saying they miss motion blur… really? Literally the first option I removed (apart from atmospheric lighting, as it made open worlds not super enjoyable).

I'm anxious to see how it looks when playing docked on my OG Switch.

it's the only thing that makes up for the awful frame rates for most of us, it artificially smooths out the frames. on other consoles that can do 60fps is makes sense to turn it off, but on the switch being capped at 30fps is so painful to look at that we use motion blur to sort of "simulate higher frame rates", coming off motion blur after years of use and being forced to accept the true framerate is jarring. However, to me it's nowhere near as atrocious as how they removed all the lighting effects from the game and made it feel barebones. I have entire dojo rooms that used to glow with warm orange lantern light, reduced to lifeless cold rooms with pale yellow lanterns that don't give off a glow at all, everything feels bleached, cold, depressing, less well lit, and the low frame rate can no longer be ignored

• Like 1

Plains of Eidolon looks much much better after this upgrade, and also the puddles of water in the tilesets and the open world is much improved.

I haven't really been noticing the choppiness from lack of motion blur people have complained about, fps is pretty consistent when i did my sortie run this morning, but i wouldn't mind it being added back in.

Again hope we can get some of the cut visual effects re-added back in. 

Good job folks!

6 hours ago, (NSW)Dekusuta said:

I haven't really been noticing the choppiness from lack of motion blur people have complained about

You probably won't then. Some people's eyes are just more sensitive to motion. While it kind of sucks that motion blur is gone, making it optional I think would have been a good choice, and is something I'll probably get used to. Current performance dips I won't. I really hope that this game is still using DRS, but doesn't appear to be. That could help with performance to keep it more stable, and is already part of the engine currently anyways. If it is using it, it's just subtle enough not to notice, and that's pretty good if it is.

I also forgot to mention, it also seems that input delay is higher now too after the swap to the new engine. I'm playing docked with a Pro Controller if anyone was wondering.

Edited by (NSW)Master2873
Fixed a word.
  • Like 1

I absolutely love this change, I never used motion blur (it gave me legit motion sickness whenever I played on a bigger screen, honestly) so its absence means nothing to me, personally. But a toggle for those who do want it would be nice. 

Shame about DOF not being available, but I'll take the tradeoff for less crunchy graphics and more consistency between materials on certain skins (ie Titania Donnan).

• Like 2

Really?? This is such backwards CRAP. 
Motion blur is the only thing that hid the unacceptable framerate of 30fps and motion judder on my screen. 

You're telling me, you sacrificed ambient occlusion, Bloom AND Screen Space reflections and then you call it "Next Gen."
WHAT person decided on that BACKWARD LOGIC.

IT LOOK FRINKIN WORSE!! "Next Gen"??? REALLY? 

So because I found warframe on the switch, invested my time(mr23)with your game for several years:
Then DE decided to add FORCED WORSE graphics. 

WHATS NEXT?? FORCED TAA VASELINE? 

STOPPED playing immediately when I saw those BASIC features ripped away.
SO STUPID IT HURTS. 

FSR 2 please. I've seen Hello Games pull it off in No Man's Sky for Switch. Certainly FSR 2 can also be implemented in a game like Warframe.

NOOOOOO! 
I and WE HATE TEMPORAL!

FSR will blur everything in BASIC MOTION/ GAMEPLAY!
STOP RUINING GAMES with blurry past frames. 

I have 2000+ hours and I see NO difference other than a lack of optimization with worse graphics. 

• Motion blur
    • Local Reflections
    • Volumetric Lighting
    • Depth of Field
    • Bloom
    • Ambient Occlusion

ALL WE NEEDED WAS 60fps!
Warframe just went from the most graphically impressive game on the switch to another terrible switch port. 
Did you guys even know how praised WF was on the switch?

Still haven't played except for checking to see if hydron looked different (IT DOESN'T)
Hydron is now missing AO, Bloom, Local reflections and volumetric lighting.
Oh and it's unplayably choppy now. 

I quit playing and so have my friends. 
BACKWARDS LOGIC. 
"Enhanced" engine=less optimized and looks worse on the switch. 

Adding FSR2 and Temporal to this game to bring back those lost features aren't going to bring us back either.

Adding temporal is like, adding alayer(Temporal stuff) on one layer("Enhanced engine"), then you'll add a third layer called sharpening. 
ABSOLUTE INSANITY. 

Well at least motion judder is gone now on my TV and isn't completely unplayable with MB back. 

I'm going tbh tho, looks so bad now without with FIVE major things gone. 

Btw, no one needs film grain. Wasted option. 

Just so everyone knows this is what you changed and still haven't optimized enough to bring these back.
Switch graphics then and now
Switch Graphics then and now with "enhance graphics"
Notice how these compensated for the low res and 30fps

As a developer myself this hurts my eyes SO MUCH. 

For the love of god, bring back  Volumetric lighting/fog via baking them in or with fake cones(Cyberpunks did this for car lights in fog), baked scene AO(Come on, do I have to say this?) and then add temporal SSR at least. 
Temporal SSR meaning low res (for vram) traces and reconstruction via jittering around 2-4 frames then accumulating the reflection channel so only a little ghosting happens in the reflection channel only. DO NOT add TAA/Upscalers. They ruin gameplay as seen in this post.

Find more ways to decrease the g-buffer via smaller bit formats to free up vram or look into visibility g-buffers. 
Should have never downgraded until you found ways to not steal 5+ features that blew us away on a bad console. 

I still haven't played since this was added.

FIX THIS. AND DO NOT ADD TAA or Temporal upscalers. TAA/Upscalers look awful in motion.

Edited by (NSW)Solid__Snake
grammer
  • Like 3

Bring back the old engine before Update Dagath

Please DE bring back apart from montion blur also:

• Local Reflections
  • Volumetric Lighting
  • Depth of Field
  • Bloom
  • Ambient Occlusion

Your game was so good looking before the update and a great achievement on Switch. Do you rember those light fogs on the grineer ships and on Deimos? Some graphics

look sharper but dont compensate the visual wonder on the Switch. The light fogs were soo good. Bring us our Warframe back we loved. Something is missing here. 

Look over here and compare: (link from (NSW)Solid__Snake)
https://imgsli.com/MjE3MjE4/3/2

What have you done??????? Look how beautifull your game was before on Switch!!!! I am missing it a lot, bring the above options back agains please and make Warframe on Switch great again. Now the real atmosphere is missing on Deimos and the tunnels light are so bad. 

I am sure you understand us Switch players.

I have the impression I am no more playing the same game but yes some graphics look sharper.

Greetings. Dont forget your Switch Community

Edited by (NSW)Tunnelrat
  • Like 4