The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Abilities on Gamepads

Shayde

I am playing on PC with a gamepad but i imagine this applies to consoles also

I need to aim while casting and have access to all skills. PLEASE can the abilities menu skill keys be mappable to any key?

For example RB still brings up menu, but id like LB, LT, R3, L3 to use the skills, this would allow me to move properly with Zephyrs 1, while also aiming properly to cast 2 or 4 while 1 is still active

At the moment I have no idea how i can use Zephyr properly while using a gamepad andi feel this would fix that completely 

Obviously letting go of RB would then return triggers etc back to usual controls

Ive thought about this awhile now and this seems to be the easiest solution, using the face buttons or dpad is far from ideal and probably makes some frames for console players and pc gamepad users unusable

So on gamepad abilities they need to be aimed are “pre casted”. So since the ability bar button casts the last ability used, you will use your aimed ability before you actually have to use it to set it to the last ability used so it can be quick casted with the R1. This way your thumb never needs to leave the stick.

Since I started playing Warframe years ago, I've been using an alternate control scheme that doesn't use the Ability Menu for the exact reasons you cited.  Instead, I use these following keybinds:

• Left D-pad: Cycle Power Left
  • Right D-pad: Cycle Power Right
  • R1 button: Activate Selected Power

I really like playing this way.  One downside to be aware of is that the support for this control scheme isn't as good as the support for the default controls, in that there are some bugs that only occur with this control scheme that have been around for quite awhile: namely, that fishing and hunting won't work with this control scheme, and that the Drifter cannot cycle abilities while holding a sword when using this control scheme.

You can use left and right on the pad to switch abilities, then tap rb to activate. (Edit- you may need to change your controller layout to achieve this, but it was standard when I started playing.)

My setup is I use my abilities while holding down rb, then pressing the corresponding button that's mapped to each ability. I also have a game pad with 4 back buttons mapped to the face buttons. My thumbs never have to leave the sticks.

Option one can be done in game, option 2 cost the price of a cheap "advanced" controller. I used a Power-A controller for a long time, cheap enough, and stick drift didn't show up for a long time. 

Hope that helps, otherwise I've got no other ideas.

Edited by (XBOX)Brusilnik
Clarification

On 2023-10-30 at 6:47 PM, (PSN)FirmBizkit said:

So on gamepad abilities they need to be aimed are “pre casted”. So since the ability bar button casts the last ability used, you will use your aimed ability before you actually have to use it to set it to the last ability used so it can be quick casted with the R1. This way your thumb never needs to leave the stick.

Took awhile to understand this but i get it now. 1st problem is pre casting energy consumption, and secondly im not sure if casting an ability that has a HOLD alternative works, as R1 held is the ability menu but ill try tonight

On 2023-10-30 at 7:18 PM, (PSN)Unstar said:

Since I started playing Warframe years ago, I've been using an alternate control scheme that doesn't use the Ability Menu for the exact reasons you cited.  Instead, I use these following keybinds:

I really like playing this way.  One downside to be aware of is that the support for this control scheme isn't as good as the support for the default controls, in that there are some bugs that only occur with this control scheme that have been around for quite awhile: namely, that fishing and hunting won't work with this control scheme, and that the Drifter cannot cycle abilities while holding a sword when using this control scheme.

I used this for Excalibur since only really using his 1 or 4 made this method quite easy. Using Zephyr now though i want to hold 1 to hover, then cast 4, and maybe cast a 2 all while hovering which doesnt really work with this method

On 2023-10-31 at 1:14 PM, (XBOX)Brusilnik said:

You can use left and right on the pad to switch abilities, then tap rb to activate. (Edit- you may need to change your controller layout to achieve this, but it was standard when I started playing.)

My setup is I use my abilities while holding down rb, then pressing the corresponding button that's mapped to each ability. I also have a game pad with 4 back buttons mapped to the face buttons. My thumbs never have to leave the sticks.

Option one can be done in game, option 2 cost the price of a cheap "advanced" controller. I used a Power-A controller for a long time, cheap enough, and stick drift didn't show up for a long time. 

Hope that helps, otherwise I've got no other ideas.

As mentioned above i used option 1 for Excalibur fine, but now  need to hold an ability while casting 2 others this no longer works

If RB is using a "shift state" for the face buttons or dpad, WHY cant it for any 4 buttons i CHOOSE to use in the ability menu?

I looked at the advanced steam contoller config and sure enough i could add an "Ability A (ability menu)" action to any button so i setup LT,LB,L3,R3 like i wanted but unfortunately the steam controller config isnt persistent when using Geforce Now (even though that uses my steam account) but it does show that the option is technically there, however ill eventually be playing on PS4 which wont have a steam controller config anyway

I can see getting another controller may be the only option but again would that work on console with a suitable adapter?

Please DE look into this, having a whole Ability Menu control page just to pick between face buttons or dpad and switch the abilities around on those options seems completely pointless all together, when most people would probably expect it to let them choose WHICH inputs are used on the menu

1 minute ago, Shayde said:

I used this for Excalibur since only really using his 1 or 4 made this method quite easy. Using Zephyr now though i want to hold 1 to hover, then cast 4, and maybe cast a 2 all while hovering which doesnt really work with this method

Why does this not work?  After holding 1 for a second or two you shouldn't need to hold it anymore to continue hovering.  At that point you can simply use the directional keys to switch abilities and cast them as you please, unless a specific ability would always cancel the hover.

Or at least that's my experience.  If you're finding that there's an interaction that works with one control scheme but doesn't work with another, that sounds like a bug worth reporting!

1 hour ago, Shayde said:

Took awhile to understand this but i get it now. 1st problem is pre casting energy consumption, and secondly im not sure if casting an ability that has a HOLD alternative works, as R1 held is the ability menu but ill try tonight

As mentioned above i used option 1 for Excalibur fine, but now  need to hold an ability while casting 2 others this no longer works

If RB is using a "shift state" for the face buttons or dpad, WHY cant it for any 4 buttons i CHOOSE to use in the ability menu?

I looked at the advanced steam contoller config and sure enough i could add an "Ability A (ability menu)" action to any button so i setup LT,LB,L3,R3 like i wanted but unfortunately the steam controller config isnt persistent when using Geforce Now (even though that uses my steam account) but it does show that the option is technically there, however ill eventually be playing on PS4 which wont have a steam controller config anyway

I can see getting another controller may be the only option but again would that work on console with a suitable adapter?

Please DE look into this, having a whole Ability Menu control page just to pick between face buttons or dpad and switch the abilities around on those options seems completely pointless all together, when most people would probably expect it to let them choose WHICH inputs are used on the menu

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention the whole pre casting thing really only works for abilities that require them to be aimed at a target otherwise it’ll just go off and waste energy.

19 hours ago, Shayde said:

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure I understand the question. 

I'm on Xbox, and every "pro" controller out there has a designated button to push to map the back buttons. No adapter needed, no external software or hardware is required other than the controller itself.

Should be no problem to get it set up the way you want. 

I am looking at a knock off controller with back buttons to use on a ps4

HOWEVER using Steam Controller Layout i have now a working layout for ability a b c d on LT LB L3 R3 and it works MUCH better than the defaults by  long way. Also casting one still sets it to use RB as 'last selected skill' so this setup actually responds very nice ill post the steam link to layout later tonight for any gamepad pc players that want to try it

On 2023-10-30 at 1:18 PM, (PSN)Unstar said:

I noticed that when you switch to operator and then back to frame, using the active selected power will just put you in operator mode. This is why I can't use it. Is there a way around this? 

I map ability 1 and 2 to circle and triangle as pressing two buttons to use an ability just doesn't work for me.

Edited by (PSN)Joylesstuna

8 minutes ago, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

I noticed that when you switch to operator and then back to frame, using the active selected power will just put you in operator mode. This is why I can't use it. Is there a way around this? 

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way around this.  It seems to consider Operator to be a 5th power, so when you press your Operator button it changes the selected power to be Operator.

Personally, I've just gotten into the habit of selecting a new power after I switch back, though I agree it would be nice if we had the option to not have this activation change the selected power!  If you ever make a feedback thread on it ping me, I'll definitely give it my +1!

3 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way around this.  It seems to consider Operator to be a 5th power, so when you press your Operator button it changes the selected power to be Operator.

Personally, I've just gotten into the habit of selecting a new power after I switch back, though I agree it would be nice if we had the option to not have this activation change the selected power!  If you ever make a feedback thread on it ping me, I'll definitely give it my +1!

Ok thanks a lot.

On 2023-11-08 at 9:45 PM, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

I map ability 1 and 2 to circle and triangle as pressing two buttons to use an ability just doesn't work for me.

Sorry i havent posted my steam controller layout yet, which makes no odds to you unfourtunetly as your on PSN but i will be soon so thats why i want these fixed.

I had your issue too but with abilities mapped to l2,l1,l3,r3 its easy enough to cast the one you want and then use r1 to recast. Ive found this setup so good i still use it more than the 4 underside buttons i had to buy a controller adapter for!

On 2023-10-30 at 3:18 PM, (PSN)Unstar said:

That sounds good, but from hearing it I can already see a potential issue with frames who want to cast abilities in rapid succession like Gauss, Wisp, and especially Garuda.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

That sounds good, but from hearing it I can already see a potential issue with frames who want to cast abilities in rapid succession like Gauss, Wisp, and especially Garuda.

Even Zephyr i had troube with, plus ideally the dpad left and right would be gear hotkeys but by default us gamepad players dont have enough buttons to sacrifice any for gear

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

There are pros and cons to everything.  For some players the pros will outweigh the cons, for some it won't.

Personally, I've never felt at a loss due to not being able to cast consecutive abilities fast enough.  But I've also been playing with this control configuration since the very beginning, which could possibly mean that I don't even know what I'm missing out on.

• Like 1

@Shayde

I thought of an idea. What if you use one of those controllers/controller attachments with back buttons and then set the abilities to the back buttons?

Even if it doesn't work to configure it in-game, you can still configure the buttons to be A/B/X/Y and then hit right bumper and it'll work.

(The only downside is that you'll need 4 of these).

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT

On 2023-11-08 at 1:45 PM, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

Yeah it’s pretty annoying and there’s no way around it besides using another Warframe ability after switching back. I can’t really think of any reason you’d need operator switch set to a quick cast button immediately after switching from operator. It’s kind of bad design. The number of times I’ve sat there spamming in and out of operator because of this is way too many.

• Like 1

I have all my abilities set to a button. LB, X,Y, down. Operator right, alt fire left. 

It's weird, but it works for me without any power switching. I've been using it for years. 

There was one update where they disabled being able to set abilities to a single button and forced power switching, but they changed it after a few weeks. But still to this day, I'm not sure if i can get my control scheme back if i lose my settings.