Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Idea for a Grappler Warframe.

(PSN)stormfalcon2018

So I enjoy the concept of a grappler warframe being based off of luchadors and wrestlers in general, but i would enjoy it if the visual theme and some of the powers incorporates that of the Roc, a mythical creature thats basically a giant bird of prey, as i think it would tie in nicely with the luchador/wrestler themes as well as tie in birds like the quetzal bird, condors, vultures, and the elephant bird (specifically the vorombe titan).

Anyways thats just my thoughts what do you guys think?

I don't know if the following is true or not, but I remember some online acquaintances telling me that Grendel was originally supposed to be more of a grappler with his abilities, (to add to the Sumo idea/stance) but there was design and gameplay issues with the sort of interactions with enemies they wanted to have. Again, not sure if this was actually legit, or just them being creative or passing on rumours. 

I've personally thought about a wrestler/grappler type archetype for a Warframe just need to find my pencils and do some art, but, your idea sounds cool, I like it a lot too.  

12 hours ago, (PSN)stormfalcon2018 said:

So I enjoy the concept of a grappler warframe being based off of luchadors and wrestlers in general, but i would enjoy it if the visual theme and some of the powers incorporates that of the Roc

I'd suggest a different name because although it's a luchador, you're still going to have people yelling "DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROC IS COOKIN'?!!".  Personally, I'd go with something like Huitzil: short for Huitzilopochtli, the patron deity of the Aztec culture that originally created lucha-style wrestling.  It's also based off the Aztec word for "hummingbird", so you could keep the bird motifs despite not being as impressive as a roc bird (although hummingbirds were pretty important to the Aztecs).

Then again, Condor might also be a simpler fit....

11 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I don't know if the following is true or not, but I remember some online acquaintances telling me that Grendel was originally supposed to be more of a grappler with his abilities, (to add to the Sumo idea/stance) but there was design and gameplay issues with the sort of interactions with enemies they wanted to have.

So according to the wiki, it looked like there was more focus on his people-eating between his development name reference ("Oni", the Japanese demons occasionally know to eat humans) and his actual name reference ("Grendel", the man-eating monster from Beowulf).  I'm pretty sure his Sumo-esque movemnts like what you see with Nourish were tacked on later to make him look less like some fat weeb trying to do tenno parkour.

19 hours ago, Ghastly-Ghoul said:

It would need to not have a teleport ability to differentiate it from Voruna and Kullervo. Sounds interesting.

See i was thinking like a mix of Styanax' rally point, and lokis radial disarm with damage resistance instead of energy regen.

18 hours ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

I don't know if the following is true or not, but I remember some online acquaintances telling me that Grendel was originally supposed to be more of a grappler with his abilities, (to add to the Sumo idea/stance) but there was design and gameplay issues with the sort of interactions with enemies they wanted to have. Again, not sure if this was actually legit, or just them being creative or passing on rumours. 

I've personally thought about a wrestler/grappler type archetype for a Warframe just need to find my pencils and do some art, but, your idea sounds cool, I like it a lot too.  

You do you man

6 hours ago, Raarsi said:

I'd suggest a different name because although it's a luchador, you're still going to have people yelling "DO YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROC IS COOKIN'?!!".  Personally, I'd go with something like Huitzil: short for Huitzilopochtli, the patron deity of the Aztec culture that originally created lucha-style wrestling.  It's also based off the Aztec word for "hummingbird", so you could keep the bird motifs despite not being as impressive as a roc bird (although hummingbirds were pretty important to the Aztecs).

Then again, Condor might also be a simpler fit....

So name wise i was thinking Jatayu (known as the king of vultures) from hindu mythology to tie in with the whole roc bird inspiration, but if we do get warframes with a J name and a Q name, then i would gladly accept Huitzil as the name.

13 hours ago, (PSN)stormfalcon2018 said:

but if we do get warframes with a J name and a Q name, then i would gladly accept Huitzil as the name.

Qorvex is supposed to be our Q-named frame coming out I guess next month with Whispers in the Walls, although Jatayu's a cool name too.