The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I understanding linking right?

Nimisha_Prime

Question

Ok, so from what I found...

MERGING is a permanent method of combining multiple accounts using a One-Time Account Merge. You will select one account to act as the Primary Account, whose Progression will be retained for the final Merged Account. The Items, Customizations, Resources, and Currencies of all the connected accounts will be combined into the final Merged Account.

LINKING allows you to permanently select one Warframe account as your Primary Account. You can then link this Primary Account to Warframe accounts you use or create on additional platforms to use its Progression, Items, Customizations, Resources and Currencies to any linked platform.

Now, I have played on my Switch for nearly 2 years. What I want is to be able to use that switch account on PC. Now, I just made a PC account because it said I need one for cross save. My understanding is...

1: I need to make my Switch account the primary

2: I need to link that primary account to the PC account I made just for this

3: This will let me have all my work on Switch accessible on PC

Am I understanding this right?

Extra info: I ONLY have any form of progress on Switch. I literally made the PC account today just for cross save. I do not care in the least for the said new PC account, literally haven't even played on it. So losing any 'progression" on the PC means nothing since I've not even had the opening cutscene yet.

Edit: I found new info after digging a bit

Account Linking allows you to permanently select one Warframe account as your Primary Account. You can then link this Primary Account to Warframe accounts you own or create on additional platforms to use its Alias, progress, Items, Customizations, Resources and Currencies to any linked platform.

• For example, a player may mark their PC account as the Primary Account and Link it to their PlayStation account. The PC progress will permanently override the existing PlayStation account, resulting in a Warframe Cross Platform Save account that can be used on both PC and PlayStation.

• Note that Account Linking is permanent. Once a unified Warframe Cross Platform Save Account is created, you will no longer be able to access any Linked accounts’ progress or Inventory aside from those of the Primary Account.

So I'm assuming I answered my own question, in that basically my Switch will override the PC account and I'll just be able to use my Switch account on a pc. If that's right, question answered. If not, please lemme know where I got it wrong.

Edited by (NSW)Nimisha
New info
  • Like 3

24 answers to this question

You are understanding the process correctly.

If you only have 1 account/platform you play on and have progression in, you'll want to use the Account Link as you won't benefit from the account merge process.

If you have multiple accounts on different platforms with their own progression (i.e. PC account, PS4/5 account, Switch account) and want to merge them all together to combine your assets, you pick one account as the main account and then the other accounts (items, frames, weapons, mods, etc) get merged into the main account.

In both cases, the main/primary account designated becomes your singular account across all platforms (with the caveat of platform-specific skins/equipment only being usable when you use said account on said platform).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

If you only have 1 account/platform you play on and have progression in, you'll want to use the Account Link as you won't benefit from the account merge process.

If you have multiple accounts on different platforms with their own progression (i.e. PC account, PS4/5 account, Switch account) and want to merge them all together to combine your assets, you pick one account as the main account and then the other accounts (items, frames, weapons, mods, etc) get merged into the main account.

In both cases, the main/primary account designated becomes your singular account across all platforms (with the caveat of platform-specific skins/equipment only being usable when you use said account on said platform).

After merging/linking, and making a Switch account the primary, will my WF account still be dependent on my Nintendo account? For example, if the Nintendo account is lost, deleted, or otherwise compromised, will my Warframe account remain safe and accessible on other platforms?

1 minute ago, (NSW)Lumeir said:

After merging/linking, and making a Switch account the primary, will my WF account still be dependent on my Nintendo account? For example, if the Nintendo account is lost, deleted, or otherwise compromised, will my Warframe account remain safe and accessible on other platforms?

Your Warframe account progression is stored on DE's servers (this is already the case). Your Nintendo account is only used to sign in/authenticate with DE's account servers; think of it like a key to open your own personal locker. 

Once you link multiple accounts together and enable cross-save, what you're effectively doing is making additional keys to that same lock; that way if you lose one key (i.e. your Nintendo account, for whatever reason), you have spare keys (i.e. a PC account to log in with) to access your locker.

Granted, if you lose access to your Nintendo account, you should definitely do what you can to regain control of it; if it is unrecoverable for whatever reason you should probably contact DE Support with a support ticket to see if they can un-link it (if there isn't an option to un-link it yourself while signed in to the site on PC, etc).

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Thank you. It's such a relief to know I actually understood something about this right for once. And that I can now enjoy both switch and PC whenever I want without giving anything up. Thank you sir!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

Your Warframe account progression is stored on DE's servers (this is already the case). Your Nintendo account is only used to sign in/authenticate with DE's account servers; think of it like a key to open your own personal locker. 

Once you link multiple accounts together and enable cross-save, what you're effectively doing is making additional keys to that same lock; that way if you lose one key (i.e. your Nintendo account, for whatever reason), you have spare keys (i.e. a PC account to log in with) to access your locker.

Granted, if you lose access to your Nintendo account, you should definitely do what you can to regain control of it; if it is unrecoverable for whatever reason you should probably contact DE Support with a support ticket to see if they can un-link it (if there isn't an option to un-link it yourself while signed in to the site on PC, etc).

Thank you for the reply! With the Fortnite situation a few years ago involving Playstation-created accounts being blocked from logging onto the Switch, I was concerned about how the account and credentials would be handled for Warframe. I'm very happy to hear that Warframe accounts aren't tied down by their original platform's account!

7 hours ago, (NSW)Glaive-012 said:

@Letter13 If I'm right, you could also create that PC account with the same email corresponding to the primary for linking, correct?

Yes, you can.

My PSN account uses the same e-mail address I use for my PC login. The difference is which server(s) DE's site contacts for authentication; which server you pick for logging in (i.e. via e-mail or your PC account, via your PSN account, or via your XBL or NSW account).

• Like 3

Hey, can I follow this thread with a follow up query of my own? 

I have a support ticket raised at the mo but no response so far. I’ve tried to follow the same principle above and create a PC account in readiness for the switch over (on Nintendo switch too). Thing is, it says my username is unavailable which I guess could happen to a lot of people. 

My question is, is that because my existing account and my username is causing the error or because someone on PC already has the username?

Also, if I set up an account with another username, based on the fact that it’s not mentioned anywhere in the guidance (only progress, MR, resources etc) I would suspect a merge/link scenario doesn’t factor in a username overwrite.

As in, the PC database is the baseline and all accounts have to be unique via that so if someone beat you to it, the name is gone? 

Am I right or wrong here? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Is there a way where I can just link only my switch and ps4? As I had migrated my PC to switch and didn't get to keep anything from the old alerts sigil/glyph wise I don't want to honestly lose those on my ancient PC account. Not that I'm ever returning to play on PC that is

21 hours ago, (NSW)Lumeir said:

Thank you for the reply! With the Fortnite situation a few years ago involving Playstation-created accounts being blocked from logging onto the Switch, I was concerned about how the account and credentials would be handled for Warframe. I'm very happy to hear that Warframe accounts aren't tied down by their original platform's account!

Thankfully DE was always a step ahead on that part. There's a reason this game has been going for a decade now, equal parts community, unique story and just downright fun combined with the devs willing to understand our concerns 

29 minutes ago, covan12 said:

Is there a way where I can just link only my switch and ps4? As I had migrated my PC to switch and didn't get to keep anything from the old alerts sigil/glyph wise I don't want to honestly lose those on my ancient PC account. Not that I'm ever returning to play on PC that is

As far as I’ve read previously migrated accounts like pc to console are not eligible for merge only linking. I’m really not an expert though, I feel like they’ve left a lot of holes in their descriptions but allowing emerging would enable some users to duplicate inventories etc

1 hour ago, CannaWhoopazz said:

Do I need to create a NEW PC account, if my current PC account isn't going to be the main account I merge the others into?  I want my PSN account to be my primary account, and merge this account into it.

As far as your case I think you just keep your existing pc account and use account management to indicate your PSN account is your preferred primary when the roll out happens

23 minutes ago, Tamefox said:

As far as I’ve read previously migrated accounts like pc to console are not eligible for merge only linking. I’m really not an expert though, I feel like they’ve left a lot of holes in their descriptions but allowing emerging would enable some users to duplicate inventories etc

As far as your case I think you just keep your existing pc account and use account management to indicate your PSN account is your preferred primary when the roll out happens

Really does feel like a lot of holes in the descriptions, does that make it holy? Bad joke aside my only concern is linking not merging the the accounts. If I have to lose the sigils from the operations from before/directly after the game really took off I guess I don't mind but I'd rather not if possible

Just want to know if it's possible to leave PC out of the whole direct linking where stuff gets overwritten

Edited by covan12

14 minutes ago, covan12 said:

Really does feel like a lot of holes in the descriptions, does that make it holy? Bad joke aside my only concern is linking not merging the the accounts. If I have to lose the sigils from the operations from before/directly after the game really took off I guess I don't mind but I'd rather not if possible

Just want to know if it's possible to leave PC out of the whole direct linking where stuff gets overwritten

Iol 😂

hmm, I think in your case it’s probably worth just leaving your old pc one out of the equation and make a new one to host the transfer with a different email address. Seems from the FAQ they want a PC account to act as a bridge and you do all the linking through the website. I suspect that’s cos Xbox and switch accounts are connected to player account ids on those consoles, not sure if it’s the same for PlayStation.

Maybe once you know your happy with everything in terms of transfer you can look into your old one but it might be tagged in the database as a previously copied account. 

Again, don’t want to misinform, apologies if so!

On 2023-12-14 at 12:16 PM, (NSW)Tamefox said:

"Do I need to create a NEW PC account, if my current PC account isn't going to be the main account I merge the others into?  I want my PSN account to be my primary account, and merge this account into it."

I'm in a similar situation. My PC account and PS4 account use the same email, but do I need to login to my main account on my PS4 to set it as my preferred primary? Also, the rollout hasn't happened yet, correct? Cause according to this article about it from Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/news/cross-platform-save, It says, "Cross Platform Save will be released in phases to different groups of players, starting with the launch of the Whispers in the Walls update this December." As of writing this, the Whispers in the Walls update has released and I don't really see anything involving making an account your primary account.

3 hours ago, (PSN)XxkhaosxKiNgxX said:

I'm in a similar situation. My PC account and PS4 account use the same email, but do I need to login to my main account on my PS4 to set it as my preferred primary? Also, the rollout hasn't happened yet, correct? Cause according to this article about it from Warframe: https://www.warframe.com/news/cross-platform-save, It says, "Cross Platform Save will be released in phases to different groups of players, starting with the launch of the Whispers in the Walls update this December." As of writing this, the Whispers in the Walls update has released and I don't really see anything involving making an account your primary account.

From what I understand, you'll do the process on your account management page at warframe.com and it'll change the little box when you're eligible. If I'm right, you should be able to select one as the main there. Mine is still saying "coming soon"  but I know founders are getting it, so if one of them could weight in on how this all works it'd be really nice...

So I have a caveat to this because I was about to merge my accounts but ran into a snag that DE never mentioned which is the MR that ive already accumulated. My xbox account is LR3 and my pc account is MR25. I wanted to make the PC account the main account, so I keep the platform specific stuff from PC as I dont care about the xbox specific stuff(dont judge me lol), and if I am reading this all correctly, all my arsenal will come to the PC account. But then if all my stuff is mastered, how would that effect my MR25 account. Do I automatically get bumped up to LR3 since all my stuff on xbox is mastered, or do I have to re-master all my stuff....bc I dont think I have that in me to do all the kuva and tenet stuff again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, (XBOX)MarineDawg said:

If I am understanding correctly, if I want to maintain each account as they are (independent) but want the ability to play them on other platforms other than where they were created, there is no option for this correct?

So, if I'm understanding this right, you want to keep BOTH accounts without putting them together? If so... I assume you could, in theory, make new accounts to cross save them to? For example, making an Xbox cross save would need a NEW PC account, and putting a PC on Xbox would need a new Xbox account... that would actually be two entire cross saves. That's just a theory though, do NOT take my wording here as an answer or advice.

14 hours ago, Nimisha_Prime said:

So, if I'm understanding this right, you want to keep BOTH accounts without putting them together? If so... I assume you could, in theory, make new accounts to cross save them to? For example, making an Xbox cross save would need a NEW PC account, and putting a PC on Xbox would need a new Xbox account... that would actually be two entire cross saves. That's just a theory though, do NOT take my wording here as an answer or advice.

I just want to play my Switch account on the Series X (faster loads, better graphics) but these can't merge, both are at 180 rivens, differnet clans et cetera.  Perhaps this isn't possible.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)MarineDawg said:

I just want to play my Switch account on the Series X (faster loads, better graphics) but these can't merge, both are at 180 rivens, differnet clans et cetera.  Perhaps this isn't possible.

I mean, in THEORY you could link your switch to a PC account (needed for cross save) and then to a seperate Xbox account, making it compatable. But I don't know that you can use two xbox accounts on the same xbox. I'm not an Xbox user, so don't take anything I say for fact.

• Like 1

On 2024-01-02 at 2:29 PM, Nimisha_Prime said:

I mean, in THEORY you could link your switch to a PC account (needed for cross save) and then to a seperate Xbox account, making it compatable. But I don't know that you can use two xbox accounts on the same xbox. I'm not an Xbox user, so don't take anything I say for fact.

Ack-ha, that may just work.

On 2023-12-13 at 11:53 AM, Letter13 said:

You said, "In both cases, the main/primary account designated becomes your singular account across all platforms..." and I got confused all over again. So, linking lets multiple accounts (Xbox and PC, for example) have access to each other so that I can access items on either account inside either account, yes? Then what does the merge option do, then? Will I basically only be able to access my account on one platform if I merge? Is that the idea?

Also, I can't really find anything this specific, but if I merge my Xbox account with my PC account (my PC account being the main account in this instance) and I am a Warlord on Xbox, what happens to the clan on Xbox if I remove myself via an account merge? Also, since I'm a bit thick in the head, if I merge my account, does that mean I can then use my PC account on Xbox? I'm a little fuzzy on the details.