Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I am very grateful for the Conquera event

StrawberrySparrow

I lost a Grandfather, a Grandmother, a few Aunts and my Mother in Law to Cancer.

My other Grandmother and an Aunt i love both had Breast Cancer and i have a high chance of having Cancer in the future so i support the fight too, in the name of those i loved who perished and those yet to go through this struggle.

• Like 3

Yeah it is a good cause and sorry to hear about your mom. Both my mother and father passed due to cancer. My mother never knew, but since she died in her home (in the room right next to mine) an autopsy was required, at which point they saw it was pancreatic cancer that was the cause. The disturbing part was that she died just a day or two before her scheduled x-ray. Though with her utter fear of dying after having witnessed her own mother fade away slowly from cancer I'm glad she never knew.

Then my father ended up with colon cancer, went through surgery and recieved a bag on his belly. Worked decently well through chemo treatments and so on but then it spread to his liver, which led to surgery aswell. Then when that seemed clear it spread to his lungs, which got treated with chamo and anti-bodies, this made the tumors shrink, but after a while they discovered that it had also spread to his left pinky toe out of all places. Which led to it getting amputated, after which things again seemed to go the right way, then just a few months later they discovered that it had spread to his brain and from there on it just went downhill since it was inoperable and no treatment would be enough at that point in time. So by the end of it he could barely formulate what he wanted to say even though he was 100% clear in the head otherwise. So he ended up at a hospice during his last month, then got moved to a facility close by just 2 days before his passing. All this played out in just a few years, from August 2016 to September 2020.

And I will always remember him when I hear The Unforgiven since when they called me to tell of his passing I was in the middle of watching Lucifer and they called in the middle of the scene where he plays that song on the piano at Lux. The really goosebumpsy part is that it was one of my father's favorite songs even though he wasnt a particular Metallica fan.

One thing to consider. If you feel emotionally down as a relative to a cancer patient, be sure to try and find people to talk to if needed. I was never in that situation myself since I'm fairly emotionally distant to death and dying overall, and grief and sadness have never really taken root in me. I've gotten that from my fathers side of the family. However, my big brother acted as if he didnt care when our mother died in 2007, and never talked about it. And since he lived on the other side of the world we knew little, it ended in disaster in 2009 when he literally drank himself to death. He had inherited the fear of death from my mothers side, just as the love for booze (which likely increased the probability for my mothers pancreatic cancer). So whatever you do, dont try to act "macho" if you feel emotions of grief, sadness and depression over these things. And if you are in a mindset like me regarding this, be the support for those near you that might be in a very emotional state.

Sorry for the longwinded post.

• Like 1

honestly ive been wearing my conquera stuff online for myself, some use for other reasons but it was nice to have when your the one under that pressure , i had a severe cancer pop up at the beginning of the year and  only recently clean as of sept, hopefully 100% gone 

not a fun experience and it takes a long time to recover from the chemo and treatments 

• Like 1