Cross-Platform Save Rollout Information ×

Unable to Link Nintendo Switch Account

I attempted to link my Nintendo Switch account while signed in to my PC account as instructed, and I got the error that I needed to sign in on my Switch. 

So, I go to the browser on switch via the game and sign in there, and it tells me "Account Cannot Be Found. Please Create an Account on your Nintendo Console"

I go to create an account via Sign Up > Nintendo Switch and it takes me to the official Nintendo website where nothing is loading in correctly. 

I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps correctly and nothing is working. I also saw that DE was aware Nintendo Switch had bugs yet to be resolved.

So I am to assume that anyone playing on Nintendo Switch will not be able to merge until 2024 because they haven't fixed the bugs causing the problem.

Honestly, kind of a big disappointment, I was excited to be able to play on my main account before the staff go on holiday.

Edit:

I tried again after the hotfix, nothing works as it should:

- I tried wiping browser cookies, which let me try to sign in via Nintendo's website, went through the verification, instead of just throwing an error, however it told me I still needed to sign in or create an account on my Switch console, afterwards it wouldn't let me attempt to sign in. 

- Tried signing into the game and also signing into the website on Switch, still got the "Cannot find account error"

- Tried logging out of the forums and signing into my Switch account on mobile, still the same errors.

I am confused as to how some people are allegedly able to sign in and merge their accounts.

Edited by DarknessNightshade

2 hours ago, DarknessNightshade said:

So I am to assume that anyone playing on Nintendo Switch will not be able to merge until 2024 because they haven't fixed the bugs causing the problem.

That’s not true. I was able to do it. You’re using the word ‘merge’ here but it seems you want to link since you said you attempted to link. I log in to Warframe using my Nintendo account. I then chose the link option. It asked me if I had a PC account. I did not so I had to create one. My Switch account by default was labelled as my primary account (which is correct). It asked me to confirm which I did and then it took a few seconds for it to complete. My Switch account has been linked to PC and everything transferred to PC and I’m able to play on both platforms just fine. 

4 minutes ago, (NSW)NeonNebula said:

That’s not true. I was able to do it. You’re using the word ‘merge’ here but it seems you want to link since you said you attempted to link. I log in to Warframe using my Nintendo account. 

That's just the thing, I can't seem to get past logging in because it keeps telling me my account does not exist or that I have to sign in elsewhere, which doesn't work. 

I can only assume people are able to merge because they've been signed into the warframe website on their nintendo account before Whispers of The Walls removed the authentication in a patch.

I will keep trying various things to get it to work but chances are it's just something DE needs to fix, and I doubt it will be before 2024.

I’m not sure but it sounds like Nintendo is having an issue with your login? I would not create a new account at Nintendo just to do this since you maybe be inadvertently creating a brand new Warframe account the would get merged in but have almost nothing. 

I did the merge successfully. Beforehand I made sure that my NSW Warframe setup was fully workng, up to date and playable. Get there first before trying anything else. I also successfully merged in an Xbox account. 

2 hours ago, DarknessNightshade said:

I attempted to link my Nintendo Switch account while signed in to my PC account as instructed, and I got the error that I needed to sign in on my Switch. 

So, I go to the browser on switch via the game and sign in there, and it tells me "Account Cannot Be Found. Please Create an Account on your Nintendo Console"

I go to create an account via Sign Up > Nintendo Switch and it takes me to the official Nintendo website where nothing is loading in correctly. 

I'm pretty sure I followed all the steps correctly and nothing is working. I also saw that DE was aware Nintendo Switch had bugs yet to be resolved.

Honestly, kind of a big disappointment, I was excited to be able to play on my main account before the staff go on holiday.

Edit:

I tried again after the hotfix, nothing works as it should:

- I tried wiping browser cookies, which let me try to sign in via Nintendo's website, went through the verification, instead of just throwing an error, however it told me I still needed to sign in or create an account on my Switch console, afterwards it wouldn't let me attempt to sign in. 

- Tried signing into the game and also signing into the website on Switch, still got the "Cannot find account error"

- Tried logging out of the forums and signing into my Switch account on mobile, still the same errors.

I am confused as to how some people are allegedly able to sign in and merge their accounts.

If you’re worried about cookies and caching, try on a completely different computer. Make sure you login to your NSW and/or other console accounts first too, before attempting the merge. My NSW has multiple players, each with different emails. So make sure you get the correct player and email. I’d also recommend updating and verifying that you can play on NSW before starting. 

I think I see what your problem could have been. You need to login to your Nintendo account ON THE SAME COMPUTER where you logged into Warframe to do the merge. Not on the NSW itself. Same for Xbox for me. I successfully merged PSW and Xbox accounts into my PC account. 

20 minutes ago, Gerlon. said:

I think I see what your problem could have been. You need to login to your Nintendo account ON THE SAME COMPUTER where you logged into Warframe to do the merge. Not on the NSW itself. Same for Xbox for me. I successfully merged PSW and Xbox accounts into my PC account. 

No that doesn't work either, I'm having the same issue this person is having and I've tried pretty much everything at this point. Trying to log into the Switch account in any format (In-game browser, Switch browser, PC browser) just tosses a "Account could not be found. Please create an account on your Nintendo Switch console. " which both myself and this person have already done.

Edited by Spike_Rose

20 minutes ago, Gerlon. said:

Did you have to log out of the Nintendo Switch account on the platform to do it? I've cleared the cache on it and every web browser from Opera GX to basic *@##$ Safari and then on the platform itself and couldn't manage it.

7 minutes ago, Spike_Rose said:

No that doesn't work either, I'm having the same issue this person is having and I've tried pretty much everything at this point. Trying to log into the Switch account in any format (In-game browser, Switch browser, PC browser) just tosses a "Account could not be found. Please create an account on your Nintendo Switch console. " which both myself and this person have already done.

Ok that sucks, sorry. But it really does sound like Nintendo is having an issue finding or validating your account? Can you verify that works before going further?

10 minutes ago, Spike_Rose said:

Have you verified that you can access WF from NSW and play? Then double check the email associated with that account (and player on your switch, each one can have a different NSW account). Worst case, do a password reset at Nintendo for that email?

It sounds like there might be some confusion about which account and player has Warframe on the NSW? I have 4 people on mine so it’s confusing. Hope that helps. 

I would try the following (maybe you have and I get the frustration since we are “on the clock” here):

1. Verify that you can full access your Nintendo account via a web browser. Note the email used. 
2. Verify you have a user or player on the Switch that uses this email and is tied to that Nintendo account email. 
3. Verify that you can play Warframe on your Switch with that user with the associated Nintendo account with the above email. 
4. Do 1-3 before attempting anything with DE for merge or link. 
5. When 1-3 are working, log in to your Nintendo account in a web browser. 
6. Also log in to your Warframe PC account. 
7. Attempt the merge. 

If it still says you need a Nintendo account then it’s a DE bug. 

5 minutes ago, Gerlon. said:

I would try the following (maybe you have and I get the frustration since we are “on the clock” here):

1. Verify that you can full access your Nintendo account via a web browser. Note the email used. 
2. Verify you have a user or player on the Switch that uses this email and is tied to that Nintendo account email. 
3. Verify that you can play Warframe on your Switch with that user with the associated Nintendo account with the above email. 
4. Do 1-3 before attempting anything with DE for merge or link. 
5. When 1-3 are working, log in to your Nintendo account in a web browser. 
6. Also log in to your Warframe PC account. 
7. Attempt the merge. 

If it still says you need a Nintendo account then it’s a DE bug. 

Yeah I am pretty sure it's an error on DE's end if I'm not the only one getting this. My friend is gonna be pissed who was maining on Switch. :/

1-4. Done

5. "ACCOUNT COULD NOT BE FOUND. PLEASE CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON YOUR NINTENDO SWITCH CONSOLE." (What happens is it redirects to Nintendo for a brief moment before flickering back to Warframe and tossing the error message out.)

6. Obvious, posting from said account

Edited by Spike_Rose

Just now, Spike_Rose said:

Yeah I am pretty sure it's an error on DE's end if I'm not the only one getting this. My friend is gonna be pissed who was maining on Switch. :/

1-4. Done

5. "ACCOUNT COULD NOT BE FOUND. PLEASE CREATE AN ACCOUNT ON YOUR NINTENDO SWITCH CONSOLE." (What happens is it redirects to Nintendo for a brief moment before flickering back to Warframe and tossing the error message out.)

Wow that sucks. How far have you played in the Switch account? I’ve heard of others who had a fresh Switch account and they said they needed to complete the intro phases before they could merge. In that case it sounds like DE may not have fully created a linked account until that point. If you tried to merge an account before reaching that point, DE may consider it “non existent”. 
But that doesn’t sound like the case here. So yes, this is not a good thing. 

I’ll say it again, be careful linking a newly created Switch account since you may inadvertently merge a “blank” WF account that could potentially mess things up? Just guessing here since I know nothing about how the game does this. 

I think the reason DE is asking you to “create a Nintendo account” is because they can’t find one for you so they assume you are someone who has never played on Switch but wants to now. 

8 minutes ago, Spike_Rose said:

1-4. Done

Just to be clear step 5 you mentioned above happened after you attempted the merge from DE website, correct?

Stopped just after the intro quest with roughing up Vor and finishing that quest. Notably, my issues are completely parallel to someone who has been playing on the Switch version for a long time, as seen in Sans_Seriff's reply here;

While I did just add the email to said account today to try and access the Account Management page from the Switch version in-game, the fact Sans_Seriff has the exact same issue with a completely different circumstance is making this look pretty grim.

And no, my reply about Step 5 was simply from me just trying to login with my Switch credentials. Same email between everything.

6 minutes ago, Spike_Rose said:

Stopped just after the intro quest with roughing up Vor and finishing that quest. Notably, my issues are completely parallel to someone who has been playing on the Switch version for a long time, as seen in Sans_Seriff's reply here;

While I did just add the email to said account today to try and access the Account Management page from the Switch version in-game, the fact Sans_Seriff has the exact same issue with a completely different circumstance is making this look pretty grim.

And no, my reply about Step 5 was simply from me just trying to login with my Switch credentials. Same email between everything.

Failure at step 4/5, well that makes a huge difference. It means that Nintendo is having problems authenticating you. If Nintendo can’t authenticate you, you’ll never be able to get any further. 

Do you have Nintendo cloud save (the subscription)? It seems like if they can’t authenticate you, then your progress would never get saved on their server which is where DE would access it from. This might make “cloud save required” for this to work?

Edited by Gerlon.
Clarified

Also if your account is brand new on Switch then maybe you don’t care if progress is lost? This might give you more ways to fix this than someone who has existing stuff that they don’t want to lose. If you want, you can try a completely new/different Nintendo account and Warframe account. Another option, try wiping any Warframe data you have with Nintendo and starting over. You have that option IF you don’t care about lost progress on the Switch. Just make sure any account with progress is selected as primary in the merge. Actually now that I think about it, if you have a brand new Nintendo Warframe account, you can just link instead which should wipe any progress on the Switch account. 

Edited by Gerlon.
misspelling

Keep in mind just because another user has a similar situation, it still can be a different issue. In a way you are a bit more fortunate since your switch progress is new. 

Sounds like Nintendo can’t authenticate you so there’s no way DE can access data that can’t be authenticated as yours. Also seems like “cloud sync/save” from Nintendo is a real requirement here. 

1 hour ago, Sans_Seriff said:

Did you have to log out of the Nintendo Switch account on the platform to do it? I've cleared the cache on it and every web browser from Opera GX to basic *@##$ Safari and then on the platform itself and couldn't manage it.

Sorry just saw your reply. In my case I was already logged into Nintendo when I logged into DE and attempted the merge. It will show you a screen with both accounts side by side, clearing indicating which is primary. So there was no authentication from Nintendo or DE needed since I had already logged in. 

Signing into my PC account and trying to tell the website I want to link/merge/whatnot with a Switch accounts prompts;

PInV0SN.pngI can obviously sign into the game with said Switch account, so they must mean the website. So I try signing in on the website, and after it redirects to Nintendo, I give it my account credentials and feed it the verification it asks for;

whfEROF.png

I'm not subscribed to Nintendo's cloud save stuff, but I did find this;

H1UnOzd.png

So I'm steadily getting the feeling that something happened today that is causing all of this. There is no way that cloud save is a requirement for this because wouldn't that paywall cross-saving?

Edited by Spike_Rose

1 hour ago, Sans_Seriff said:

And to actually answer your question, no, I didn’t need to log out from the Switch itself. 

1 minute ago, Spike_Rose said:

Signing into my PC account and trying to tell the website I want to link/merge/whatnot with a Switch accounts prompts;

PInV0SN.pngI can obviously sign into the game with said Switch account, so they must mean the website. So I try signing in on the website, and after it redirects to Nintendo, I give it my account credentials and feed it the verification it asks for;

whfEROF.pngGood question. I'm not subscribed I'm not subscribed to Nintendo's cloud save stuff, but I did find this;

H1UnOzd.png

So I'm steadily getting the feeling that something happened today that is causing all of this. There is no way that cloud save is a requirement for this because wouldn't that paywall cross-saving?

It’s really starting to sound like that is the case. Cloud save is required. And yes it’s a paywall from Nintendo. They don’t let you save data in the cloud for other services to access, unless you pay. 

That sounds really unusual. The exclusiveness of Switch Platinum is mentioned on the cross-save guide, but Cloud Save isn't mentioned once literally anywhere. If it was really a requirement then DE would have at least name dropped it once. Not to mention some other data intricacies that would require information being handed off very frequently between Nintendo, DE, and the player. I've got a friend who does have Cloud Saves enabled so if she can get it working before the cutoff time I'll report back. If not, F this stress test. Will maybe just cross-trade sometime in 2024.

Edited by Spike_Rose
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spike_Rose said:

That sounds really unusual. The exclusiveness of Switch Platinum is mentioned on the cross-save guide, but Cloud Save isn't mentioned once literally anywhere. If it was really a requirement then DE would have at least name dropped it once. Not to mention some other data intricacies that would require information being handed off very frequently between Nintendo, DE, and the player. I've got a friend who does have Cloud Saves enabled so if she can get it working before the cutoff time I'll report back. If not, F this stress test. Will maybe just cross-trade sometime in 2024.

I agree. If DE knew this but didn’t make it clear that you needed it, that’s not good. 

It’s possible that all the “early testers” had cloud save. You could also argue that it’s “obvious” since the data has to be somewhere where DE can read/write it and not just local on your Switch. But still, point this out so players aren’t surprised and disappointed.