Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inability to abandon The New War discourages players from trying

I've got a few friends who struggle in most games, but they are able to play Warframe because of how over-powered you can make your frame.  Which is pretty great!  Warframe gives us a game we can play together despite our skill differences.

However, in The New War, all of that excess power gets taken away for the bulk of the quest, and the player engages in much more tightly-designed challenges where there's no choice of character, weapons, abilities, modding, etc.  This isn't innately bad, but it does mean that this quest demands more skill from the player than the Star Chart, as challenges must be met head-on and can't be cheesed.

The big issue is that some of my friends have a worry that they won't have the dexterity, coordination, and reaction times necessary to complete all of The New War's challenges.  There were definitely parts of The New War that a lifelong game-player like myself found difficult and frustrating, so I think they're right to feel unsure about whether they have what it takes.

Rather than simply worrying, I think it would be great if they could give the quest a try to see if their concerns are overblown!  Unfortunately, the simple act of trying the quest means that they can't engage with any of the rest of Warframe until they succeed.  Effectively, until they somehow develop the skills to overcome every challenge in The New War (sometimes referred to as "gitting gud"), they would lose access to the rest of their account.  I hope you can understand how that's too big of a risk for some players to take.

Because of that, they don't even try.  And it makes sense: don't place a bet if you're not willing to lose it.  I think it's unfortunate — and surely unintentional — that the quest is implemented in a way that discourages players from even trying.

My request is simple: please make it possible to abandon The New War.

If it were possible to abandon The New War, players wouldn't be discouraged from trying it, and would be able to attempt the quest without fear.  When players fail, let each player be the arbiter of whether they want to get back up and try again, or whether they'd like to give up for now and go back to something more comfortable.  If they choose the latter, they can always try again later (even if it means starting the quest again from scratch) when they have the time and energy to give it another push.  And until then, they can continue to play the Warframe game modes they already love.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my feedback!

I can’t 100% remember what exactly the quest entails in terms of skill requirement, but we have the means to practice actual skill-based stuff…? Even if the quest arranges things a little differently, it’s not such a different game or anything that they don’t share elements and thus allow transferable skills.

I don’t think it’s worth being afraid to do it when they can practice enough to not get blindsided

20 hours ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

If it were possible to abandon The New War, players wouldn't be discouraged from trying it, and would be able to attempt the quest without fear.

The ancient law of internet arcana dictates that I have but a single possible response to your heartfelt request.

Spoiler

5g7a9h.jpg

On 2024-01-03 at 9:53 PM, Merkranire said:

I can’t 100% remember what exactly the quest entails in terms of skill requirement, but we have the means to practice actual skill-based stuff…? Even if the quest arranges things a little differently, it’s not such a different game or anything that they don’t share elements and thus allow transferable skills.

I don’t think it’s worth being afraid to do it when they can practice enough to not get blindsided

Not that I support the suggestion, but the bulk of TNW's combat systems only had their introduction in the quest - this isn't something you can really practice outside of the quest. Even Drifter combat is mechanically different compared to the one in Duviri.

Edited by mariberry-hearn

While I get the sentiment and do not disagree.

It should be said that the circumstances under which most players get stuck are not very common.

Most issues are from the following.

unmodded brand new railjack or mote amp

General impairment/disability (Like you need the marcros just to play the game)

If you build an amp and mod your railjack. You should be fine as long are you not disabled.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mariberry-hearn said:

Not that I support the suggestion, but the bulk of TNW's combat systems only had their introduction in the quest - this isn't something you can really practice outside of the quest. Even Drifter combat is mechanically different compared to the one in Duviri.

They’re not so vastly different from the standard game from what I can recall that you can’t practice outside of the quest and transfer some of what’s been learned.

Also what’s wrong the suggestion? The game’s better when we can choose how much skill we want to play with; preparing for a quest is just a side bonus

I'm down to 2 Archons left to kill in the New War. Pretty sure I don't have the patience or finger strength to complete. I don't understand why the DE's lock you into a quest, which locks you from buying more Platinum. Platinum, is what puts food on their tables.  :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarinusCat said:

I'm down to 2 Archons left to kill in the New War. Pretty sure I don't have the patience or finger strength to complete. I don't understand why the DE's lock you into a quest, which locks you from buying more Platinum. Platinum, is what puts food on their tables.  :)

Yeah, it's an unfortunate choice. :(

Sounds like you're already in the thick of it though, so I'll give you my spoiler-free recommendation in the hopes that it will alleviate some of the burden: you won't need to stress over the 3rd Archon fight.  So just pick the one that seems the easiest for the 2nd fight.  Personally, I found Amar to be the easiest of all the Archons, so that's who I'd recommend if you haven't already fought him yet.  Nira heals herself which can lead to a lengthy fight if you don't do her mechanics well enough, and Boreal has some weird shield stuff.

Best of luck, Tenno!

I'm old as dirt. Hearing aids, reading glasses, broke both bones in my left arm last year that did permanent nerve damage to my fingers. I watched Utube vids and got gud. lol  I finished it. I picked Natah. :)

• Like 1