Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hey DE. isnt it time to adress the language issue?

SDGDen

afaik this has been a thing since the beginning, but:

sometimes, when the host has a different language than english, things show up in that language on the client's side. this can be *very* easily noticed in netracells and effervo since the popups for picking up keyglyphs as well as all the text related to vitreums will frequently do this.

this is especially an issue in europe due to the relatively good network connections here in combination with many languages densely packed. it's not hard for a european to get into a match with another european that is using a different language.

and while sure, as a dutch person i can somewhat read french and german, the biggest problem is when you matchmake with someone that is on a language with a different alphabet (like most slavic and asian languages) since they'll just show up as ***************

i would personally quite like to be able to actually read information the game gives me during a mission.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SDGDen said:

afaik this has been a thing since the beginning, but:

sometimes, when the host has a different language than english, things show up in that language on the client's side. this can be *very* easily noticed in netracells and effervo since the popups for picking up keyglyphs as well as all the text related to vitreums will frequently do this.

this is especially an issue in europe due to the relatively good network connections here in combination with many languages densely packed. it's not hard for a european to get into a match with another european that is using a different language.

and while sure, as a dutch person i can somewhat read french and german, the biggest problem is when you matchmake with someone that is on a language with a different alphabet (like most slavic and asian languages) since they'll just show up as ***************

i would personally quite like to be able to actually read information the game gives me during a mission.  

Isn't this something you put in the "feedback" or "bug report" sections?

This is general discussion, not general feedback, the only thing that happens here is having other players agree/disagree with you, unless you're trying to get other people's responses as evidence.

12 minutes ago, Lord_Chibi said:

This is general discussion, not general feedback, the only thing that happens here is having other players agree/disagree with you, unless you're trying to get other people's responses as evidence.

As opposed to feedback forums where the only thing that happens is people agree or disagre with you?

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Lord_Chibi said:

its been posted there many times over the last 10 years i assure you. 

im mostly posting it here to draw some more attention to the issue, considering the various posts in feedback and bug reports have either gone ignored or have not resulted in a fix for this issue.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2024-02-04 at 10:14 PM, SDGDen said:

its been posted there many times over the last 10 years i assure you. 

im mostly posting it here to draw some more attention to the issue, considering the various posts in feedback and bug reports have either gone ignored or have not resulted in a fix for this issue.

Agreed. I was there in the begining, 3000 10 years ago. This issue deserves more attentions. Langauge display issue is the main reason I play solo, since playing randoms in Asia server is a GUARANTEE that I run into ******** players. I mean I'm polyglot, I understand well English, Chinese, Spanish and heck even Japanese, but sure as hell I can't communicate with *s.

I mean DE got a lot incorporated to the game: launched on different platforms, cross-play/cross save, that I do give credit and support DE whenever I'm financially capable, but they still can't fix the language display issue over these years. I'm not asking them to overhaul the game UI or translate the whole thing. All I ask is stop seeing those damn ** ***** * ********** in the chat.

I'm no game developer nor designer, and have no coding experience, but my best guess is that because you can link items with the bracket command [ ] , this might be an issue since one item/mod may have different names in different langauges. Maybe set up like an internal coding or something, so even when the name is different, upon clicking should open the link to the right mod/item.

On the communication note, maybe build in some in-game chat command that align with Client's language, like quickchat command let's say pressing F5 it will show up as "Follow me", F6 for "Stay here!", F7 for "Go!"...something like those. I guess now with cross-play, not every player can type as fast the the PC players, quick chat command surely can help communicate with squads, in a supposedly cooperative game.

C'mon DE, please do something about this madness.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xyand said:

Agreed. I was there in the begining, 3000 10 years ago. This issue deserves more attentions. Langauge display issue is the main reason I play solo, since playing randoms in Asia server is a GUARANTEE that I run into ******** players. I mean I'm polyglot, I understand well English, Chinese, Spanish and heck even Japanese, but sure as hell I can't communicate with *s.

I mean DE got a lot incorporated to the game: launched on different platforms, cross-play/cross save, that I do give credit and support DE whenever I'm financially capable, but they still can't fix the language display issue over these years. I'm not asking them to overhaul the game UI or translate the whole thing. All I ask is stop seeing those damn ** ***** * ********** in the chat.

I'm no game developer nor designer, and have no coding experience, but my best guess is that because you can link items with the bracket command [ ] , this might be an issue since one item/mod may have different names in different langauges. Maybe set up like an internal coding or something, so even when the name is different, upon clicking should open the link to the right mod/item.

On the communication note, maybe build in some in-game chat command that align with Client's language, like quickchat command let's say pressing F5 it will show up as "Follow me", F6 for "Stay here!", F7 for "Go!"...something like those. I guess now with cross-play, not every player can type as fast the the PC players, quick chat command surely can help communicate with squads, in a supposedly cooperative game.

C'mon DE, please do something about this madness.

It's such a baffling choice, especially for Asian clients. I get that back in 2012 DE probably never expected Warframe to be played outside of Americas but now it's a big game with great number of players who don't use the alphabet writing system. 

What makes playing Warframe with an international clan the worst is the combination of no unicode and launcher language separating chat channels. It's still absolutely preposterous that Korean client cannot display hanja/hanzi but I could cope with that if I could still trade with and recruit players who are actually near my region when I choose Korean in the launcher. But nooooo can't even have that 20th century MMO standard 

Edited by traybong111
  • Like 1

This is definitely one of those things that's a bit overdue, especially on modern PCs and systems - I think it was probably originally done to avoid having to load in multiple character sets that a player wouldn't use, and thus waste resources on low-end systems in 2012, but it really is not an issue nowadays. I have multiple fonts with CJK character sets in them used across my OS, many of which are fallbacks for when fonts don't have them too. Weirdly enough, this is one of the only games that doesn't work with fallback fonts, and instead just shows ***** symbols for anything it doesn't want to load a character for (not even giving me an option to "show additional languages"). I imagine console systems may have some additional challenges with this (they may not load any fallbacks for similar reasons unless the user's language is set a specific way), but for PC this seems like something that could be resolved fairly painlessly.

• Like 1