Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Keep Items after mission abortion

0_N3XUS_0

I recently played some Lua thrax farms on sp Circulus for about 2 hours. I had a resource booster, so i shouldve farmed quiet some Thrax plasm. Unfortunately, my game crashed. And with that, all my progress from two hours of gameplay was gone.

This is not the first time something like that happened and its frustrating, espacially after investing so much time.
So i thought about the whole topic a little and started wondering why resources arent kept after aborting a mission in the first place. 
I see that the argument of having to overcome a challenge (this being the missions goal) in order to receive a reward is necessary, however, i dont see this point making any sense in survival, at least not after the first 5 minutes.

After i survive 5 minutes the missions goal (of surviving 5 minutes) is practically achieved. So just let me leave the mission please.

It would be a big qol change if I was able to leave the mission from anywhere on the map without losing my progress (after i completed the missions goal ofc). 

It works in duviri (even without actually completing it), so why not in other open worlds or even survival missions?

Something like this could also protect players from losing their progress in cases of game crashes, like in my case.

Just instantly add collected resources to a players inventory.

I would love some feedback on the Idea. Maby i forgot some issues coming along with that?
ty in advance and sry for my bad english:)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 0_N3XUS_0 said:

why resources arent kept after aborting a mission in the first place. 

Probably technical reasons. Warframe probably stores data your client side, if it crashes or is closed unconventionally it is gone, before it can be recorded.

13 minutes ago, 0_N3XUS_0 said:

It works in duviri (even without actually completing it), so why not in other open worlds or even survival missions?

It works in Duviri after very specific action (picking Decree) that records the current state of the mission server side.

14 minutes ago, 0_N3XUS_0 said:

Something like this could also protect players from losing their progress in cases of game crashes, like in my case.

Multitude of players lost something due to bugs, crashes or host migrations. This has been up forever and is part of the game almost. 

I've brought this up a lot, but have the most recent one: 

TL;DR is the game probably should, and already does in open world and for prime parts. It just needs to do this for other endless star chart types, say every 5 mins or 5 waves or whenever it lets you extract and gives you a rotational reward basically.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 0_N3XUS_0 said:

why resources arent kept after aborting a mission in the first place. 

Because in the past it did work like this....and then players abused the hek out of it and made it utterly miserable in public matches so DE removed it from pretty much all missions.

It used to be "You play a mission until the host gets what they want, then they abort and make everyone else suffer a host migration (and therefore likely lose everything) while the host keeps all of their stuff."

It was horrible, and was happening in a good 3/4 missions played back in the day.

DE made the change that general mission failure/abort causes you to lose everything to prevent that, and it largely works.

And unless you have something in mind to prevent players from going right back to "I got mine, abort because it's faster than finishing the mission." then this idea is going to largely be dead in the water.

For missions where it is the main intention of the mission to stay for a long time such as Arbis, Open Worlds, Ciricut. Yes I'd say it is warranted to keep mission rewards since there can always be things that can happen beyond your control and the time intended to invest into it is greater than usual. For something that is a rotation C reward, maybe not and in those rare cases that it is an issue there is always support with the dedicated option for it. Plus restarting due to a crash at around the C reward milestone it would be faster to re-run the mission rather than to go in and submit a support ticket.

Edited by Numerounius

8 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

I believe it was on the last Devstream where they announced that Circuit (and more?)
will be changed to let you keep your rewards even if something breaks / you abort.

Yes, Circuit points up to the last completed round.  (I think resources there already have something like this.) 

Which is the best way to handle it, as it's a huge improvement,  mostly fair, and mostly doesn't encourage people to see an item and ditch immediately or at a point that would cause an unexpected host migration.

I don't recall them hinting it would be propagated to more modes, but that would be nice.

19 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

And unless you have something in mind to prevent players from going right back to "I got mine, abort because it's faster than finishing the mission." then this idea is going to largely be dead in the water.

I know this wasn't directed at my post but - syncing every 5 mins / "extract" opportunity would've been way better than outright forcing game clients to leave with hosts to prevent migration failure losing them rewards. Cause right now, you're heavily "encouraged" to leave with hosts in endless to avoid the game breaking itself and losing you all that time spent, as a consequence of more regular syncing removed to avoid random mission aborts.

I don't recall playing often when this change was made (patch notes say U7.8 on 4-19-2013, so I would've been like MR1 or something), but I feel like there was no foresight in it since the game cannot tell the difference between "abort" and "host migration broke / game bug caused crash and/or forced abort", and this game has its fair share of functionality loss bugs every update (and weekly reports of people losing mission progress because of them).

No solution is perfect, but they really chose the one that most disrespects the player's time from external circumstances and it honestly needs to be changed.