The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why is the IOS version of warframe not on MacOS?

Alm4

i was a IOS beta tester and most of my test was installing the app on a macbook pro m1. the game worked to decent visual quality and frame rate which gave me hope to an actual MacOS release or maybe just the ability to install the IOS version on a mac, but none of those is available. Why is that? the game runs and is perfectly playable but it just wont be release?

• Like 10

I'm not a MacOS user (haven't used MacOS in 10 years now), but a quick google search leads me to believe you can just install iPhone and iPad apps on your Mac through the App Store.

Does this not help?

1. Visit the App Store on your Mac and select your name at the bottom-left corner or sign in if you aren’t already signed in.
  2. Here, you’ll see a list of the Mac Apps you have downloaded. Flip to the second screen, which shows iPhone & iPad Apps.
  3. Find the app and if it doesn’t state Not verified for macOS, tap the Download button (the cloud icon with the down-facing arrow).
  4. If the app requires in-app downloads, a notification will pop up asking you to confirm permissions. Select Continue.
  5. Wait for the app to finish downloading.
  6. Once fully downloaded, Open the app.
  7. You can now access it like you would on your iPhone. (You may need to log in depending on the app.)

Are you saying the Beta was installed this way, but now the full game says "Not verified for MacOS"?

Edited by Voltage

unfortunately to be able to follow this steps you need the publisher of the game to have mark it for use on Mac Mx. This is not something automatic but since it was tested during beta test I don't understand why they didn't make it available. As I'm also a Mac User I would really like to have access through it on my mac in addition to my PS5.

Citation

Are you saying the Beta was installed this way, but now the full game says "Not verified for MacOS"?

I think this exactly the case which is the strangest part

• Like 2

Funniest thing is that Corey said on Reddit that they "plan to implement keyboard and mouse support as we understand people may want to play on iPad with a wireless keyboard, or even on an M2 Mac", though there’s no Mac release

• Like 2

В 21.02.2024 в 07:52, Voltage сказал:

you can just install iPhone and iPad apps on your Mac through the App Store

That’s not how it works. By default Apple marks all iOS apps as compatible with Apple Silicon Macs (M1 and higher), and developers are free to opt-out from this. More than that - when preorders on App Store started it said that Warframe would be compatible with Apple Silicon Macs, though it changed near release - and now you can’t install this version of Warframe on your Mac.

Warframe are still playable with Wine and GPTK, but that takes a lot of performance away (due to Rosetta 2 and D3DMetal), so I was really happy that there could be native version of Warframe for macOS. Guess we’ll have to wait some more - making macOS version of Warframe isn’t that hard since there’s iOS version already.

Edited by Ferbez
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ferbez said:

That’s not how it works. By default Apple marks all iOS apps as compatible with Apple Silicon Macs (M1 and higher), and developers are free to opt-out from this. More than that - when preorders on App Store started it said that Warframe would be compatible with Apple Silicon Macs, though it changed near release - and now you can’t install this version of Warframe on your Mac.

Warframe are still playable with Wine and GPTK, but that takes a lot of performance away (due to Rosetta 2 and D3DMetal), so I was really happy that there could be native version of Warframe for macOS. Guess we’ll have to wait some more - making macOS version of Warframe isn’t that hard since there’s iOS version already.

Yeah, it seems they opted out. They may be concerned with people abusing the auto-play features for accessibility while using a computer. It happens with all the recent Forza titles too. That makes sense to me atleast.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2024-02-24 at 2:39 PM, Ferbez said:

I downloaded Warframe on Steam through Whiskey Macbook Air M1, but I haven't dared to log into my account because I'm afraid of being permanently banned for logging into a strange device. Have you tried it yet?

Edited by Mchaelt24

On 2024-02-24 at 2:31 PM, Ferbez said:

Funniest thing is that Corey said on Reddit that they "plan to implement keyboard and mouse support as we understand people may want to play on iPad with a wireless keyboard, or even on an M2 Mac", though there’s no Mac release

This could be the reason why they “table” the Mac sideloading. Can you imagine the player frustation that the game they just downloaded won’t work with the mac’s keyboard?

Edited by DrivaMain

33 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

This could be the reason why they “table” the Mac sideloading. Can you imagine the player frustation that the game they just downloaded won’t work with the mac’s keyboard?

It is an iOS version, which means the game is designed with touch in mind as the primary input, and would probably need to intentionally hook in physical hardware support

As for why no native mac version, it could be because of low player count compared to iOS, and getting it optimised for phone hardware and a touch UI sorted out will likely make porting to Android less difficult

I'm happily running Warframe via Game Porting Toolkit.  I started on Xbox, so after cross-save and pairing a nice hall effects controller to my M2Pro Macbook I'm totally at home on my Mac for all my Warframe needs. A little graphics flickering in orbiter is all I notice, but smooth everywhere else.  If I try to tab away from Warframe to read wiki, it often crashes, so now I do my wiki lookup on my phone while I'm playing.  Everything else has just worked. I've purchased some platinum via my Xbox account so that I could buy the new Ember skin.  I play EDA with friends. etc..  For the first time in years, I can take my warframe with me while I'm traveling.  I'm even able to play for a good while on battery power.  I posted a short guide here.  Actually, this whole discussion was beat to death in that thread.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my clan members plays on a Macbook Air M1. He has issues on deimos and duviri because of the framrate drops but no issues with any sort of auto ban. Honestly I was searching the forum to try and help find them some solutions to the framerate issue

The M1 might be a little under-powered for GPT. I assume they've already gone into the options and tried turning down all the visual effects -- especially the sparkly particle effects? As I mentioned, I'm running the M2 Pro and I've had to turn down a couple effects to reduce graphical "flickering" of some things.  With the M1 your clannie might just have to live with the FPS drops. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-08-25 at 5:24 PM, Anonymouse7611 said:

The M1 might be a little under-powered for GPT. I assume they've already gone into the options and tried turning down all the visual effects -- especially the sparkly particle effects? As I mentioned, I'm running the M2 Pro and I've had to turn down a couple effects to reduce graphical "flickering" of some things.  With the M1 your clannie might just have to live with the FPS drops. 

I mean. The M1 Max is strong enough to do Diablo 4 via GPTK at 60 FPS on the internal display, no issue. Should be more than enough horsepower for Warframe.

---

Also, iOS build of Warframe enabled for M-Series MacOS when?

2 minutes ago, Sauravisus said:

I mean. The M1 Max is strong enough to do Diablo 4 via GPTK at 60 FPS on the internal display, no issue. Should be more than enough horsepower for Warframe.

Don't think the MacBook Air's come with M1 Max.  I'd also be curious what the graphics settings are at.  The M1 might be able to get by with lower graphics settings.