Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×

Orbiter GI Lighting is too Dark in Areas

The GI lighting in the orbiter makes areas of the ship very dark. Without the option to create our own light sources, the new lighting darkens decorations to the point of not being able to see them. One example below on my orbiter in the area opposite the void relic station. 

Before:
2NbWSZG.png

After

jEA9BHZ.png

• Like 17

I would agree with this! The personal quarters and main room in particular feels noticeably dark to me, but everything feels just a little too dark. I don't think it's a situation that turning up my brightness would help with, because it would affect the rest of the game. Wondering if there'd be a possibility of some kind of way to increase the light within our orbiters?

• Like 1

Yeah, my Orbiter is WAY too dark now. I also really hate the glow in the cockpit.

Images spoilered for size:

Spoiler

yE761vV.jpeguNeEa6Z.jpegJuKpHET.jpeg

That said, I do really like the Helminth room (though it's also too dark). I never noticed there were fish swimming under the floor before.

Spoiler

WDtciLK.jpeg

Especially egregious however are some of the lights in the Railjack. Take a look at this nonsense and keep inmind that I have Bloom turned off:

Spoiler

cRgI2zR.jpeg

Not even looking directly at it, and it's not even facing the camera!

• Like 6

The lighting interacts badly with my red-green colorblindness

https://imgur.com/a/Hc8mmFL

My character on orbiter login and in menu is bright yellow at Arsenal, if dynamic lighting is on (it bleaches all the colors), if it is off, they are badly contrasted and the character can barely be made out in the dark, with contrast turned down. If I have dynamic lighting off, my orbiter also looks sad and dull and there is NO lighting whatsoever, other than dust floating in the air in a grey space. My pets also lost their colors and they are oily black in orbiter

DE, Please give us some sort of midway "semi-lighting" with Dynamic lights turned off, I feel this should not be "all lights completely on vs. all lights completely off" (turning off the sunbeam turns off the sun and all lights??)

Edited by teahl
clarified request
  • Like 2

I understand that there are technical changes to this that make it hard to have parity between old tilesets with old lighting tech and the new ones but currently makes it really hard to fashionframe when colors appear so vastly different in the orbiter and the older levels (which is pretty much all of the game).

Below pictures aren't really a great representation but notice the "washed out" colors and especially the golden parts.

New Orbiter
3nMhb3a.png

Old Zones:MF7gpfo.png

• Like 9

I hate the new lighting. The orbiter basically looks like it's lost power and that's why everything is so dark. Frame and weapon colors look VERY different in and outside of the orbiter.

• Like 5

My orbiter looks so dark and foggy now I hate it, had to turn off several settings to make it less awful

And I just did a Hydron and had to turn contrast down mid-fight. The map is so dark and the flashing visual effects from abilities and weapons were hurting my eyes (I already have visual effects intensity very low)

• Like 4

Same with my orbiter. It feels like all the lighting on board now only comes from the windows & no onboard lighting. I try to build the orbiter as home with lights on, and now it feels like my operator turned them all off to save power or something.

syWbjP9.jpeg

EPEDVhG.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah... the lighting is pretty dark. Makes me sad I put so much thought into my decor and now its so dark you cant even see my mastery plaques. 

After changes:

wTkISg0.png

Before changes:

image.png?ex=6615c685&is=66035185&hm=d8a

I should mention the top pic is post-hotfix lighting up some areas. Really disappointed with the lighting changes. Knew this would happen. :(

• Like 4

Please make GI lighting a toggle option for the orbiter, I have spent years working on mine and the new lighting makes everything at the front of the ship look black when it's supposed to be white. there doesn't seem to be any ambient lighting any more, which was giving the ship a more uniform colour before, meaning some parts of the ship are now too dark and others too bright, also all of the light decorations don't give off any actual light meaning if you have any in the shadowed areas they look very strange. sorry I don't have any pictures but feel free to look around my orbiter yourself 

Before:

6874251c-1448-4bad-8ea7-3e1ac8abdada

After

23bc0e53-c362-448b-84d6-9a1a3780dff5

Edited by yoten_
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, yoten_ said:

please make GI lighting a toggle option for the orbiter, I have spent years working on mine and the new lighting makes everything at the front of the ship look black when it's supposed to be white. there doesn't seem to be any ambient lighting any more, which was giving the ship a more uniform colour before, meaning some parts of the ship are now too dark and others too bright, also all of the light decorations don't give off any actual light meaning if you have any in the shadowed areas they look very strange. sorry I don't have any pictures but feel free to look around my orbiter yourself 

It just kinda feels like this update was bad for anyone who went super hard on decorating their orbiters. I am worried the same may happen when GI lighting eventually comes to clan dojos...

13 minutes ago, Beryliberries said:

It just kinda feels like this update was bad for anyone who went super hard on decorating their orbiters. I am worried the same may happen when GI lighting eventually comes to clan dojos...

I don't even spend that much effort decorating and I still hate it too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Debatra said:

I don't even spend that much effort decorating and I still hate it too.

Its just so moody looking and dark. It also just further shows the issues decor can have with casting shadows through objects. All the shadows are a lot harder and not as soft so it creates even darker areas.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I don't have any before photos (I really wish I did), but I'm really hoping they address this at some point. These areas used to be super bright and fun on my orbiter, and now they're just dark and lifeless, which, of course, is quite sad. 

Spoiler

20240327115925-1.jpg

20240327115856-1.jpg

• Like 2

new lighting seems to focus heavily on brighter things, so doing my fashion has been pretty bad to the eye too.. makes me wish there was a light switch on the orbiter or something.

Spoiler

warframe-orbiter-lighting-currently-and-

Spoiler

warframe-orbiter-lighting-currently-and-

• Like 1

I agree 100%. They definitely overdid it. The only light source in the entire orbiter is now from the two windows, it's as if the indoor lights are completely non-functional. While the new shadows are technically more impressive, they're not visually more impressive. Everything is too dark.

Some examples from my humble Orbiter:

Spoiler

bnZXHZ7.jpgjcYOB2v.jpg

The spotlight in the center of the arsenal is completely gone. This was there so that you could get accurate arsenal previews that aren't in the dark, it's just gone now.

Spoiler

Z4nkTJX.jpgHUwiHLc.jpg

In deleting all the other lights, they forgot about the Railjack docked above. It's in total darkness now, and if it wasn't for the Tempestarii skin it would be invisible.

Spoiler

2N7HP36.jpg2cC71S8.jpg

Worst of all, my Plains of Eidolon vignette that I paid platinum for had its light source and sun shafts deleted. Which ruins the entire look.

Spoiler

rMwHP8h.jpgRecEPWH.jpg

I've gone through the Drifter Camp as well and different planets and the light is always about the same; too dark because of the absence of indoor lights. I run Warframe with everything on High, by the way. I've also suddenly dropped about 30 frames with this lighting update.

DE, please revert this until you've gone through and added indoor light sources and optimized it.

Edited by Fireshock
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Fireshock said:

I agree 100%. They definitely overdid it. The only light source in the entire orbiter is now from the two windows, it's as if the indoor lights are completely non-functional. While the new shadows are technically more impressive, they're not visually more impressive. Everything is too dark.

Some examples from my humble Orbiter:

Reveal hidden contents

bnZXHZ7.jpgjcYOB2v.jpg

The spotlight in the center of the arsenal is completely gone. This was there so that you could get accurate arsenal previews that aren't in the dark, it's just gone now.

Reveal hidden contents

Z4nkTJX.jpgHUwiHLc.jpg

In deleting all the other lights, they forgot about the Railjack docked above. It's in total darkness now, and if it wasn't for the Tempestarii skin it would be invisible.

Hide contents

2N7HP36.jpg2cC71S8.jpg

Worst of all, my Plains of Eidolon vignette that I paid platinum for had its light source and sun shafts deleted. Which ruins the entire look.

Hide contents

rMwHP8h.jpgRecEPWH.jpg

I've gone through the Drifter Camp as well and different planets and the light is always about the same; too dark because of the absence of indoor lights. I run Warframe with everything on High, by the way. I've also suddenly dropped about 30 frames with this lighting update.

DE, please revert this until you've gone through and added indoor light sources and optimized it.

The lack of indoor lighting is so frustrating. So many decorations are advertised as lights, lamps, etc, and just have no light effects at all. 

• Like 2