Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The creation of the infested was horrible... And I love it!

Croxius_Alpha

I guess a lot of people have already realized this (especially those who pay attention to the story) but the creation of and true purpose of the Infestation is truly horrific... And I love it!

First, some context: I recently watched a Warframe lore video about the Infestation. It's a pretty old video but it covers much of what we know about the Infestation up to now. However, I noticed that a lot of these videos often just glossed over or skipped the actual creation of the Infestation as we know it today. I am writing this because if I'm right, then DE created one of the most horrific and exciting zombie virus ever. Disclaimer: this is a piece of game theory based on observed and implied factors. Since the actual Lore of the Infested isn't really discussed in the game, a large portion of this article is hypothetical based on existing in-game evidence.

Now, we all know that the Infestation is derived from the Technocyte virus . A nano-virus that rendered the Earth uninhabitable thousands of years before the time of the Orokin (If my theory about WF 1999 is correct, the Technocyte could possibly be the Y2K virus, if it was real). We also know that the warframes were derived from the Infestation through a mutated strain called the Helminth (or as I call mine: Rebecca [not related to Rebb Ford, shut up!]) We have Ballas to thank for this info. It is also often asked, and explained, why the Orokin decided to create a zombie virus to fight the Sentients. However, as things stand, several hidden details about the Infestation (If you pay enough attention to the story) made me realize exactly why they made zombies.

The Orokin used the Infestation to try and "regain" control of the Sentient. The Infestation can infect both organic and mechanical units, however, it requires organic matter to create the "growing" part of the infestation. What I've realized is: the Orokin became so desperate that they decided to sacrifice an entire planet to see if this plan would work. Eris was the result of this plan. The Orokin sacrificed the colonies on Eris, turning everyone and everything into infested and seeding their "Infested Gardens". For a time the plan would've worked, the Sentients could easily destroy the infested but the Infestation can just make new ones almost immediately. One might think "this is a stupid idea since the Orokin wouldn't be able to control a mindless army of zombies, right?" But the Orokin, in a stroke of evil genius, created the Ancient Infested. Now we know based on their lore that Ancient Infested are people called Lorists, humans with telepathic abilities that have been infested, this also explains why Ancients have powers. I believe the main purpose of the Ancients is to telepathically control the more mindless infested, coordinating them to attack. My theory is that the infestation have successfully attacked and took over a Sentient Mother, a sentient like Hunhow. However, the Sentients having, well, sentience is what created the hive mind that the Infestation seem to have today. The infestation infected the Sentient Mother, taking over it, but it's mind melded with the Infestation creating the Infested hive mind. Because of this, the Orokin lost control of the infestation and it turned against them forcing them to put up containment protocols against the infestation.

In the end, the Orokin lost control (as they often did) and had to destroy/contain the infested, but not before taking samples and using those samples to create the Warframes. This is, however, just my theory and I hope DE will one day reveal the true Lore of the Infested.

Edited by Croxius_Alpha
Grammatical errors
  • Like 1

On 2024-04-01 at 4:23 AM, Croxius_Alpha said:

A nano-virus that rendered the Earth uninhabitable thousands of years before the time of the Orokin

I'm trying to corroborate this part. Both Sylvana's logs and the Ostrons creation myth paint the Orokin-era Earth as a polluted wasteland, but the involvement the Infested had in this blight, if any, is unclear. Sylvana was an infested biologist, but I can't tell if she was trying to remove the technocyte infestation from the environment... or introduce them. Remember, the Orokin had such control over Helminth they could use it as a surgeon (source: Dagath lore) so I could see it going either way. Sylvana also describes "vegetation" which we know from Deimos, the Infested doesn't really bother with.

There is one more account: Ballas. He describes Earth as being ruled by "the spores and the ruin." The visuals of the Saryn Prime trailer does imply these are infested spores

On 2024-04-01 at 12:23 PM, Croxius_Alpha said:

The Orokin sacrificed the colonies on Eris, turning everyone and everything into infested and seeding their "Infested Gardens".

i might be wrong, as my lore is a bit rusty, but I was always under the impression that Eris' infestation was down to Alad V creating the Mutalist strain and letting it get out of control.. the original infestation strain could only corrupt organic materials, which is why the Derelict Ships are heavily damaged from the massive plant-like growths, but not actually assimilated like the ships on Eris.

again, i could be wrong, never dove that deep into the lore so my understanding may be skewed. it's all very interesting though!

On 2024-04-04 at 8:07 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

i might be wrong, as my lore is a bit rusty, but I was always under the impression that Eris' infestation was down to Alad V creating the Mutalist strain and letting it get out of control.. the original infestation strain could only corrupt organic materials, which is why the Derelict Ships are heavily damaged from the massive plant-like growths, but not actually assimilated like the ships on Eris.

again, i could be wrong, never dove that deep into the lore so my understanding may be skewed. it's all very interesting though!

The Alad V operation suggests that Alad found a way to mutate the Infested already in Eris. Which means that they were already there. The Orokin probably hid Eris through a major blackout operation (the same thing that happened to Deimos) where cloaking tech and communications jamming were placed on the planet to "hide" the Orokin's mistake...

• 4 weeks later...
On 2024-04-09 at 3:05 PM, Croxius_Alpha said:

The Orokin probably hid Eris through a major blackout operation (the same thing that happened to Deimos) where cloaking tech and communications jamming were placed on the planet to "hide" the Orokin's mistake...

Makes one wonder how many other hidden celestial bodies or surprises they have stashed around. 

On 2024-05-02 at 9:38 PM, -ShadowRadiance- said:

Makes one wonder how many other hidden celestial bodies or surprises they have stashed around. 

I mean the Grineer definitely did not invent the cloaking field that surrounded the Kuva Fortress... If the Orokin could make entire planets or planet sized bodies disappear, what else did they hide from prying eyes???